Going to destroy the ATPRO

Mottz

Forum Supporter
Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. I have been to this older town 3 different days, only a couple hours at a time, and all I have come up with is 1 wheat penny and 1 newer penny. Now I am hunting where there use to be a bank and a grocery store. Now its just empty lots. So I know there is going to be a lot of junk in the mix. So I have the 5x8 coil on, wide open. And knowing this junk is present, I am just digging the high tones with 80 plus on the screen. This is what I am getting.
34DC8D9D-29B7-4533-8D70-308FEC8FC948_zps71h72nbi.jpg

Now these finds have all been between 80 and 95. All good sounding quick high tones. That's swinging from different angles, checking for the iron and watching to see if there are bouncy numbers. This is what I end up with. And after I retrieve the junk, I move the plug to the side and swing over it again. Nothing. Put the plug back in and swing over it. Nothing So I am getting the target that the detector has led me to. But WHY is this iron ringing so high? This is why I want to break the pro in half.

you should lift your coil up about 4 " if your still getting that high tone or any its not a coin junk. you might want to try lowering sens, that's all I found today a stinkin 1930 wheat hey you never know

Once you clean all that junk out of there you will start finding the old deep stuff. Just keep at it, believe me it will pay off in the long run.

you should lift your coil up about 4 " if your still getting that high tone or any its not a coin junk. you might want to try lowering sens, that's all I found today a stinkin 1930 wheat hey you never know

I tried that a few times. Each time I lifted, no sound at all. Drop it back down and there's tone so I figured they would be good targets. Guess that didn't work:lol:

Don't destroy it. I'll give it a good home and I'll even pay shipping! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously, in this hobby it ain't all Morgan Dollars and Large Cents (I know because I haven't found either one in 40 years of MDing on/off). You will dig some trash. Location, location, location is secret to finding the good stuff. Someone mentioned above that you'll start getting the goods after ya clean out some undesirable finds. That is great advice. Keep at it and you'll find some treasure.

Or at least that is what I keep telling myself. I have been to this older town 3 different days, only a couple hours at a time, and all I have come up with is 1 wheat penny and 1 newer penny. Now I am hunting where there use to be a bank and a grocery store. Now its just empty lots. So I know there is going to be a lot of junk in the mix. So I have the 5x8 coil on, wide open. And knowing this junk is present, I am just digging the high tones with 80 plus on the screen. This is what I am getting.
34DC8D9D-29B7-4533-8D70-308FEC8FC948_zps71h72nbi.jpg

Now these finds have all been between 80 and 95. All good sounding quick high tones. That's swinging from different angles, checking for the iron and watching to see if there are bouncy numbers. This is what I end up with. And after I retrieve the junk, I move the plug to the side and swing over it again. Nothing. Put the plug back in and swing over it. Nothing So I am getting the target that the detector has led me to. But WHY is this iron ringing so high? This is why I want to break the pro in half.

I have had the same thing happen. Use the pro mode...with iron audio on. I have read and found out, that some large iron objects will cause a wrap-around, the metal sounds like silver..

And don't forget to ground balance!
I've had a few rusty turds ring up pretty high, but they were large objects.
Generally my AT pro has been awesome with the target ID.

GL and HH!

Chris

Some people would say it's your machine and there is a better option for picking "through the iron", but judging by the size of iron, you have ALOT it in the ground and big pieces of it at that.

In these instances I dig it all up to expose the deep stuff being hidden. You are in a privileged position with this site. In my eyes, you have LOTS of potential since most are lazy and don't want to try and get through that stuff. Patience and practice makes those extra hard targets rewarding.

How long have you been swinging the Pro?

Most of those junk targets are large enough that they will sound off a good strong high tone because of their size. Checking them with the iron audio will let you know there is iron under the coil. Most of those targets in the pic should still be giving a good signal when you raise the coil way past where a coin would. With that much junk in the ground you should lower the sensitivity a LOT , this helps to focus the detection field a little better on just whats under the coil and not around the outside edges. A site like that can be tough for any detector. In order to get through that "iron curtain" you will have to dig and remove most of the trash so that the detector can see the coins. Sounds like the detector is working as it should , you only have to adjust to its iron language.

The way I use my AT Pro: STD mode, iron disc maxed out at 40, Coins program (nickel 52-53 accepted), foil & tabs rejected, ground balanced, iron ID off. If you are detecting a place without a junk-free spot to ground balance, depth & ID accuracy may be lost. Also the ID is only valid for coin-sized objects, so if a piece of iron is 6" long, it may very well have the same conductivity of a dime or quarter. Iron gives a very wide beep in PP.

Some of your local parks are over 100 years old. You might have an advantage with AT Pro over those with low-end detectors. Sure, these places have been detected frequently, but you still might get am old coin, or enough clad to buy some. But, yes, finding them is more fun. Nearby smaller town might be less detected? Best wishes, George (MN)

So I have the 5x8 coil on, wide open. And knowing this junk is present, I am just digging the high tones with 80 plus on the screen.

These are some great tips! Thanks everyone!! I will be using them when I return as I keep securing permission from different neighbors. So I may have the whole town to do by summers end.

How long have you been swinging the Pro?

I've had the AT for 2 years now I'm guessing. I normally like to run pro zero and had thought that I was getting the knack of it. I like to run with iron off but when I hit a target I will turn that on just to see how it reacts. And at this place, many will not have any iron signal. And when it does, it still has that sweet ping right in the middle of it. Going by what a lot of people say on here, "there is a coin next to that iron". So I dig and I get so :mad: when its just iron. So I just had to walk away today. But I did do something to redeem the machine. I went to where the city shot fireworks last night and it was picking the coins out right and left. So for now the pro will live on:lol:

These are some great tips! Thanks everyone!! I will be using them when I return as I keep securing permission from different neighbors. So I may have the whole town to do by summers end.

I've had the AT for 2 years now I'm guessing. I normally like to run pro zero and had thought that I was getting the knack of it. I like to run with iron off but when I hit a target I will turn that on just to see how it reacts. And at this place, many will not have any iron signal. And when it does, it still has that sweet ping right in the middle of it. Going by what a lot of people say on here, "there is a coin next to that iron". So I dig and I get so :mad: when its just iron. So I just had to walk away today. But I did do something to redeem the machine. I went to where the city shot fireworks last night and it was picking the coins out right and left. So for now the pro will live on:lol:

A sweet high tone along with iron isnt necessarily an indicator of a coin near it. Some chunks of iron give off a very sweet coin tone. Sometimes there is no telltale sign of the presence of a coin and the only way you can know for sure is to dig it. More often than not the presence of iron masks the coin out completely. Once in a while though the high tone from the iron just has a unique sound that "may" indicate something else is there. But even then there is no way to know for sure until you dig it.

I saw a video comparing detectors and I was a bit saddend to see the at pro identify deeper silver/clad coins at lower(iron) tones:mad:
The fores core would still give high tones at depth soooo I want its brother even more now (Racer) Hopefully I will be getting more coins with it(at least more confident target sounds):yes:

Honestly I think the ATPro sucks.

I usually keep my mouth shut because a few people do very well with one and I don't want to offend them.

Heck it's probably the most common machine nowadays, so any negative comments are likely to start a flame war.

Honestly sell the ATPro to a newb and get a Minelab or even a Tesoro.

My lowly Xterra 505 will absolutely smoke an ATPro on land, yet you never hear people carry on about it like they do the ATPro.

"But the ATPro is waterproof" Barely, it can sometimes withstand 4 psi of water pressure.
The Excalibur is tested to 86 psi and is multi-frequency. This is a water machine.

I commend Mottz for his honesty. I don't think he is doing anything wrong, 2 years is a long enough experiment.

Iron wrap-around is a challenge for most machines, but clearly the ATPro plagued.

It is just an awkward machine to use.
It's only popular because of the 10 foot deep splash resistant rating and that TV show that has all the newbs riled up.
Other then that, it is a mediocre detector at best.

So you want an ATPro? I hope you like iron.

Honestly I think the ATPro sucks.

I usually keep my mouth shut because a few people do very well with one and I don't want to offend them.

Heck it's probably the most common machine nowadays, so any negative comments are likely to start a flame war.

Honestly sell the ATPro to a newb and get a Minelab or even a Tesoro.

My lowly Xterra 505 will absolutely smoke an ATPro on land, yet you never hear people carry on about it like they do the ATPro.

"But the ATPro is waterproof" Barely, it can sometimes withstand 4 psi of water pressure.
The Excalibur is tested to 86 psi and is multi-frequency. This is a water machine.

I commend Mottz for his honesty. I don't think he is doing anything wrong, 2 years is a long enough experiment.

Iron wrap-around is a challenge for most machines, but clearly the ATPro plagued.

It is just an awkward machine to use.
It's only popular because of the 10 foot deep splash resistant rating and that TV show that has all the newbs riled up.
Other then that, it is a mediocre detector at best.

So you want an ATPro? I hope you like iron.

The ATP works very well in iron , but you have to know it really well to realize that. Whats being described here isnt wraparound its big iron chunks that trick every detector. The OP said he had the pro for two years , he hasnt used it a lot in those two years or iron wouldnt be so much of a puzzle.

It is a mid range detector with average abilities ( for a mid range detector ) except for being waterproof , but just like any detector you have to put in serious time with it in every site condition to be able to use it to full potential. They all have an iron language and once you learn it things fall into place.

Mottz said that he lifted the coil to see if it was large iron and the signal went away, to which I surmised that his ATPro was giving him the old wrap-around.

What else can he try?

Those large pieces of iron should pinpoint rather large where as a coin should pinpoint to a very small spot on the ground. You can also skip using pinpoint button and just back the coil off the spot to help determine size. Coins should be more two way repeatable signals. Iron tends to sound good one way and not so good the other.

Mottz said that he lifted the coil to see if it was large iron and the signal went away, to which I surmised that his ATPro was giving him the old wrap-around.

What else can he try?

Of course they go away at some point , but experience tells you just how far to lift the coil and how to judge the size of an object by the distance lifted. He will get better at it in time. I think most of his confusion is coming from the nice high tone produced by the larger than coin sized piece of iron , something every detector will do. There are only certain situations where that may indicate the presence of another object but its something that cant really be taught very well , only learned by experience and experimentation.

At least shoot a video when you destroy it, then you'll have a viral video for your youtube channel!

I'd watch!

Back
Top Bottom