Bounty Hunter IV tones?

Vermonster

Elite Member
Been out a couple days in the backyard with the new toy, and trying to get the tones down. Pretty simple in all metal mode, everything beeps. Switch to tone, and nails are omitted. Then there are the beeps again.

The one that throws me for a loop is the one where it's what I call a "growl". Sometimes it switches back and forth with a beep, but then to a growl again. The 2 times I got that were aluminum foil and a bottle cap. So, are there good things that will make it "growl"? I am obviously going to dig everything at the beginning so I don't miss anything.

One other thing. I have not been able to find a pull tab yet to hear, but will that be a sharp tone or the growl?

Thanks for any info.....

Been out a couple days in the backyard with the new toy, and trying to get the tones down. Pretty simple in all metal mode, everything beeps. Switch to tone, and nails are omitted. Then there are the beeps again.

The one that throws me for a loop is the one where it's what I call a "growl". Sometimes it switches back and forth with a beep, but then to a growl again. The 2 times I got that were aluminum foil and a bottle cap. So, are there good things that will make it "growl"? I am obviously going to dig everything at the beginning so I don't miss anything.

One other thing. I have not been able to find a pull tab yet to hear, but will that be a sharp tone or the growl?

Thanks for any info.....

Ah, the Tracker IV language. :cool:
The beep-growl is typical of a trash target, but the only way to know for sure is to dig it. I found that bottle caps were easily predicted by that unique audio signature. Balls of foil are a little more tricky and will even fake the ATP out. Those will have variable tones based on their size/shape.

There are various styles of pull tabs, but typically they'll produce a low tone or a low-broken tone. The manual indicates you can adjust the discrimination knob to help identify them, but there is just too much variability on style, and then throw in the shape due to folding of the beaver tail, etc. and you'll find it's impossible to accurately ID them. Again, also holds true for the ATP. That being said, those low tones are in the same range where you'd find nickels and most gold jewelry, so unfortunately the only way to find those targets is to dig the pull tabs too. You can set the Disc. knob so that a nickel produces an even smooth tone, but it will not always produce the same response out in the field due to ground/trash conditions.

You're doing the right thing by digging everything. That's the best way to learn and not to miss any good stuff, but the down side is digging a LOT of trash. After a while you'll learn that the audio response is only part of the feedback you'll be getting on targets. Other helpful information will come from how the target reacts under the coil, i.e. strong reaction over a large area or just a small zone over which you get a response. Additionally, you'll probably start being able to predict the shape of targets based on the audio response response and be able to predict coins along with likely depth based on the size of the target area.

FWIW, 90% of the time coins will have a very clean high audio response and very clear crisp edges. Items that mimic coins, like steel bottle caps and aluminum bottle caps, will have a distinct "broken" edge. A growl/grunt for the steel caps and a warble low-high tone usually for the aluminum ones, but those aluminum ones are the trickier of the to and get me nearly every time.

Hope that helps. Getting out there and getting the experience is the best teacher, but there are a lot of Tracker IV users out there that can offer some sound advice.

Good luck!

Some links you might find helpful (these are just a few of the many that are out there):

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=152718&highlight=bounty+hunter+tracker+IV

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=18569

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=106686

One of my favorites. Back when they first came out and up till now, there has been no simple way to set the disc=with the exception of the posts I've posted for years.:grin: Rotate the disc from the full left while waving a nickel in front of the coil (no jewlry or metal on arm). The tones will go from a high to mixed and FINALLY-when you JUST get the full LOW tone on the nickel-YOU'RE SET! Clad-high tone. Tabs(most) broken tone. Nickel/foil-low tone. The tabs with the same conductivity as the nickel will still register with nickel tone-just like other ID machines. But you have a true notch setting.:cool:

I found in my hunt the other day that I was even picking up the small twist ties, with the thin metal wire inside, at a few inches deep. So, I imagine that it should be no problem picking up coins and stuff at 5-6 inches, or at least I hope not. Happy with what it's picking up for now.

I found in my hunt the other day that I was even picking up the small twist ties, with the thin metal wire inside, at a few inches deep. So, I imagine that it should be no problem picking up coins and stuff at 5-6 inches, or at least I hope not. Happy with what it's picking up for now.

That sounds about right. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom