*Updated* Hey newbies...you think your sites are hunted out? Nope!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
(Still hunting this site, still more coming out of the ground...update below)

This is just a little post to let you know why I don't believe any site is ever hunted out completely...ever!

Here is a tiny park in my neighborhood that is just down the block from where I live.

park.jpg

Very small, as you can see.
There is a public pool in the back, a tot-lot and a small amount of grass with 2 picnic tables.

The first time I went here I hit the tot-lot with my Compadre.
There is a huge amount of EM at this site for some reason, the closer you get to the pool the worse it gets.
I have never heard so much noise coming out of my Compadre before, and I actually had to turn it up past iron to keep it quiet enough to hunt.
Still managed to read through all the false signals that day and came home with this after about an hour hunt.

HUNT 1.jpg

A few weeks later I went back with my F2 which didn't seem to be bothered any where near as much as my Compadre, and I hit that tot-lot again and went into the grass a little to see if anything was out there.
Wasn't there long, but I did come home with this...

HUNT 2.jpg

I had found out what I needed to know by just wandering around the grass quickly...there was plenty of clad here and if there is clad, there might be jewelry, my favorite targets to hunt.

A little while later I came back with the F2, my coin monster because I use the tones and the screen to avoid some trash when I coin shoot, and had a few hours so I went slow and tried to cover every inch I could with my 8" coil. I walked this site from left to right as you look at the picture.
I am not an expert with any of my detectors, but I think I am pretty good and can hold my own, and this time I came home with a bunch of clad, almost a record for me.
There was much more here than I thought, and I am sure I am the first one to hunt this place if not ever, at least in a long time.

HUNT 3.jpg

Those are all quarters in the top row, dimes in the row under that.
About $8 in just a couple of hours.
Looks like I got it all, or most of whatever is here, right?

Today, I went back and this time I took my Vaquero which is set up with a 10X12 DD coil.
I also changed directions and walked from the sidewalk to the pool instead of the other way.
Still had some issues with the EM, ground balancing was almost impossible but I was going deep enough to find dimes 5 and 6 inches down so that was good enough.
I hit the same areas I had hit before, if you notice this place is tiny, but if you think there was very little left because I got most of it on my last hunt, you would be wrong.

HUNT 4.jpg

Evidently I did not get it all, it is an almost impossibility, statistically speaking, to hit every square inch of any site no matter how much it is hunted.

I love the fact that not only did I find that cool truck, I managed to pick up my second wheatie from this site,(1945), another foreign coin, this time a French 10 Franc, and even a Sacagawea dollar.

P1020541.jpg

Think I am done here?
I don't...not by a long shot!
I am thinking the F2 with the sniper coil might be fun to try next time.
Maybe I will search in a diagonal pattern, too.
Bet I'll find even more.

By changing machines, or coils, or just hitting your old worn out spots in different directions and going slow and really overlapping, you are going to find plenty more, I guarantee it.
I hit several spots over and over and keep finding the goodies and have since I started.
Never give up...Never surrender...learn your machine, go slow and have patience.
You will be rewarded.

HH

Another interesting, informative post from digger27. If this doesn't keep the newbies going, I don't know what will.

Keep up the good work Digger. I enjoy all of your posts and appreciate your style.

:D

I have zero delusion that I have, or anyone else, has cleaned an area out. I treat all areas as virgin territory and hunt them exactly the same. Especially since I am only in my first year and still learning.

Digger,So true.I have hunted a park in the past several times and i know there are others that hunt it also and i have hunted this place for at least 2 or 3 years with the exception of when i got laid off from my job and had to sell my MD's to pay bills.But everytime i go back i always find things,just this past Saturday found 40 clad coins,so yes it's senseless to say a place is hunted out and if anyone says that they are definately wrong on that statement.Nice finds.Rich

Reaffirms what I have suspected after finding coins in areas I had already been over, approaching from a different angle can hit coins you previously missed. Possibly because of how it is laying in the ground, who knows.

This gives me encouragement to hunt my 1870 trash filled Nail filled pull tabbed filled yard
again still holding out for some silver but the oldest coin found in yard 1909 wheat

Do sites ever become 100% hunted out, no, but eventually they will nearly become so, if hunted long enough and hard enough. The secret to continuing to pull a few coins out of so called "hunted out" sites is by doing just like Digger does. Use different detectors and different coils on those detectors, if you have them. When all else fails, try hitting a site from right angles and 45's and be sure to hit any little out of the way spots you may have missed before. What never ceases to amaze me is how guys with entry level detectors can go into a site after us guys with the big guns have hit it repeatedly and they will still find a few coins that we somehow missed. It just goes to show you that there are always a few coins left for the next guy, no matter what detector he or she is using.

That's interesting that the EMI affected your Compadre more than the F2. I've had areas I simply could not hunt with the F2, unless I turned the sensitivity down to 1 or 2.

Those same areas, I could use my Golden Umax at full sensitivity, with no interference. One area had 2 huge cell phone towers and the other had high voltage power lines coming off of the hydro-electric dam nearby!

Back
Top Bottom