Plug debate

1960DPenny

Full circle plug vs. "c"-cut

Which is better-- for both the MDer and the property?

(I actually use both, but want to know what others think.

For deeper targets I usually dig a fairly large whole plug out, sweep the hole to make sure it's in the plug and then position the plug adjacent to the hole and shave dirt into the hole while looking for the coin. Depends upon the depth. Shallow targets I use the flap method. Also depends upon how hard/dry the soil is. Bottom line, I do both!

i always do the C but sometimes it breaks off
i cut them bigger or smaller depending how deep the target is
if its real shallow i will pop the coin no hole
curtis

I started out doing complete removal round plugs, but all of those died after a couple of days. Now when I dirt fish, I ONLY cut "U" plugs and fold them back. Haven't seen any of them die off, but there is some obvious browning at the cut line.

I always try to NEVER cut a full plug, but sometimes depending on the soil conditions I end up with one. I much prefer either a C shaped or triangular plug with a generous hinge side. I've seen where full plugs can sometimes be pulled up by a mower going over them and they completely sever the grass roots.
JMHO
ABB

It depends how wet or damp the ground is for me. If a complete circle plug will stay intact and not start falling apart that's what I cut. If the ground is dryer I'll cut a 2/3 circle flap and fold it back. If it is dry I just go straight for the coin and flip it out. If it is hot summer all bets are off. Just popping but that depend son the site also.

I started out doing complete removal round plugs, but all of those died after a couple of days. Now when I dirt fish, I ONLY cut "U" plugs and fold them back. Haven't seen any of them die off, but there is some obvious browning at the cut line.

I never understood why the u-cut was better for grass. Plug or u-cut, aren't you still slicing lots of roots.

I use the "U" on bigger holes when I am not popping and they are shallower.

I watched a video once on youtube, Neswiper I believe, and he showed some holes with the "yellow eyes" because the grass was dead around the edge of a full plug, and eventually the whole plug.
His theory was when you stamp it back down, full plug, C, U, or flap cut, the water cannot get back down to replenish the roots because the now compacted dirt won't let it and the grass dies.
He suggested just chopping some lines with your digger all around the hole at the cut line perpendicular to the original cut to let the water back in.

I have been doing this for about 6 months and you know something, it seems to work.
I go back to the same park next door to me a lot when I just feel like swinging a bit and don't feel like driving far and I have been rechecking my heavily dug areas and...they look great!
"No Yellow eyes!" and no dead grass.

Attachments

• cuts.jpg
    cuts.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 284
He suggested just chopping some lines with your digger all around the hole at the cut line perpendicular to the original cut to let the water back in.

I have been doing this for about 6 months and you know something, it seems to work.
I go back to the same park next door to me a lot when I just feel like swinging a bit and don't feel like driving far and I have been rechecking my heavily dug areas and...they look great!
"No Yellow eyes!" and no dead grass.

Ooh!! That's a great idea! I dug a hole at my grandparent's house a few weeks ago. My grandmother complained about it afterward and I said look out in the yard and point out the hole (I only dug one target). I was rather proud of having made a clean replacement. I came back this past Sunday and noticed that circle of grass was now dirt :(

I usually dig the smallest diameter plug I can so if the grass does die its very minimal. Most of the places I have gone back to, you can't even tell I was there.

Looking at my side yard, I can see the difference where I started digging deeper plugs and leaving the excess soil loose (unpacked) in the hole before replacing the plug so the roots can take hold again. When I first started, I had been packing the loose soil before replacing the plug, which always resulted in dead grass.

It's all better now though, we've had a lot of rain that really helped. Now, I try to scuff up the underlying soil with my digger before replacing the plug, "U", "V", or whatever else I'm putting back. I'll have to try that perpendicular cutting technique as well; sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom