Silly question about depth

Jason

Elite Member
When the meter says that an object is 6" deep, and your coil is already 1" above the ground, does it mean that it is 6" from the bottom of the coil (5" in the ground)? If you rest the coil directly on the ground would it still be 6" deep. It seems that when I try to measure the distance from the coil while "air testing", it's always further from the coil than what the display says. So I wonder, does the electronics have an easier time telling depth in the air as opposed to in the dirt. I realize that soil conditions can effect a depth reading. In the past I have always accounted for the distance of the coil from the ground. Is this the right way of doing things? I know this may be a lame question, but it has always puzzled me. Thanks.

Jason said:
When the meter says that an object is 6" deep, and your coil is already 1" above the ground, does it mean that it is 6" from the bottom of the coil (5" in the ground)?  If you rest the coil directly on the ground would it still be 6" deep.  It seems that when I try to measure the distance from the coil while "air testing", it's always further from the coil than what the display says.  So I wonder, does the electronics have an easier time telling depth in the air as opposed to in the dirt.  I realize that soil conditions can effect a depth reading.  In the past I have always accounted for the distance of the coil from the ground.  Is this the right way of doing things?  I know this may be a lame question, but it has always puzzled me.  Thanks.

Jason..........Check out Tony's reply to post titled "Technique to estimate depth" on August 16, 2006, in the
                 How to Use Your Metal Detector forum, which is located on the Detectors & Gear   board.

Hope this helps !

Todd :grin:

Thanks Todd. I just read the post you pointed me to. Firewhiz and Rudy go on to talk about raising and lowering the coil to get an idea about the size of an object. I guess I really don't understand this concept. Can someone elaborate?

On a coin you will loose the signal rather quickly when raising the coil, a larger iron target signal will usually be lost at a higher coil height than the coin signal. For instance - The depth may show 4", but as the coil is raised on the iron target it may end up with the coil being 8" off the ground. A coin target will be lost at closer to the 4" depth. It takes a little getting used to, but once you practice it does become another method to help you in deciding whether to dig or not (with all the other info your machine is indicating).

I'm new here, so be gentle if I am not doing things right!

The question asked here about depth seems to be in line w/ what I need to know ... only mine is probably the silliest. 

I have a new Bounty Hunter 505, and I am a total novice.

WHY does the screen read 4" in depth  when I am passing the coil over a coin I have put on the surface of the lawn?

The only silly question is the one that's not asked!!

How high are you holding the coil over the coin? The distance is from the bottom of the coil to the target and it's a "guess" of the unit at best. With my Ace 250, I have had nickels that were right at the surface ring at 4 to 6 inches. I have learned that when I get a target, I use my pin pointer probe and scan the surface before I dig. About 10% of the time, I don't need to dig.

Good luck and keep practicing. It will get easier as you learn what your machine is telling you...

I can't help on the 505, but my T2 does the same on shallow objects. I am told that it involves the machine's sensitivity. The T2 causes shallow objects to read 2" - 4" inches when at the surface. It really does this on quarters, on pennies it is usually 1"-2" off and dimes it is usually dead on. The sounds are what I cue in on more than anything, once I learned to listen to the variances it tells me a lot. Like Diverman said, use a handheld pinpointer, if it is a surface object, the pin pointer will save you lots of wasted time.

HH

Thanks for help on my question - and I didn't mean to pirate the original thread. I looked up those hand held pinpointers - and in time, I will probably be in the market! LOL

wannadanc,

I used a BH 505 for almost three years. I found plenty with it. The depth it said was never really very accurate. It was always off by at least an inch. Ground conditions can vary from place to place but I never found anything past about 3.5 inches. The only exception from that was the odd crushed soda pop can. I found a few of those at about 8 inches. After using the 505 for a while I just used the depth reading to tell the difference between things on the surface and thing I needed to dig. If the reading said 0-2 inches it was on the surface. The rest of the readings meant it could be anywhere from just under the surface to 3.5 inches. That never took away from the fun. I got used to it and found plenty.

mrakrantz said:
.  If the reading said 0-2 inches it was on the surface. The rest of the readings meant it could be anywhere from just under the surface to 3.5 inches.  That never took away from the fun. I got used to it and found plenty.
That has been very helpful information .......and I appreciate that!

Back
Top Bottom