MXT users

SteveMN

Forum Supporter
Has anyone with an MXT had any trouble with the plug-in jack for your headphones? Seems like when the plug turns a certain way it looses contact and shorts out. :mad: Anyone had to replace this plug-in jack?

Without seeing it I would guess it is the phone cord not the jack. They break or short easily. Do you have another set to try? If you saw what the jack looked like you would see it would be hard to short by turning the phones jack. Rob

At times Whites detectors do have some problems with the jacks they use. If constantly plugging and un-plugging the phones happens. It may very well be the headset also as Rob said. Try another pair first. If the problem persists its the jack. :(

Never had a problem with mine. Try another set of headphones, if you have the same problem, it's probably your jack.

The headphones I'm using are basically brand new. I did try using the other set I have and it was doing the same thing. The screw that holds the jack in place was loose and I tightened it. Seems to have helped but I don't understand how that would have caused the shorting out.

Never had a problem with the jack, the headphones on the other hand, were dropped from hip height into the grass and broke into about a billion pieces. (El cheapo twenty bucko from White's.) It might be a cold/iffy solder joint. I would try a different set of phones before faulting the MXT. Mine's had it's minor issues, but all in all..... a very good machine to hunt with.

HH as always,

Bri-

New to the MXT but as with most electronics, the nut is part of the grounding circut for the phone jack. So if the nut was lose it is possible that it just may have not been making good contact and leaving an open circut....hops this helps....Ray

I gotta get a new set of phones myself. The ones that came with the machine are not the greatest, and I think the connection is iffy where it goes into the head phone cup. I'll take it apart after the season ends and fix it. I do want a pair that go over the ears, they would be a lot more comfortable to me.

Ray thanks for the info. I know enough about electricity and grounds to put two and two together but I must not have been thinking. It makes sense that the nut was part of the ground. Problem solved.

I have to check my ground now. I've been thinking that my headphones were junk ( may still be). They cut out all the time on me, but then again they are the ones that can with the detector.

The blue phones that came with the MXT have a weak spot at the strain relief at the phones. The relief turns and moves. This causes a break at the wires just inside cup of the phones. Mine broke twice before I quit using them. Rob

Back
Top Bottom