A good test of a detector

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
A good test, and one that I've seen used to demonstrate how good a machine is.
Get a piece of iron, and wave your detector over it in discrim mode, so there's no signal. Then put a silver coin on top of the iron, and see if you then get a signal. If not, you could be missing a lot. :wow:

Just tried with the MXT, it saw the difference. If I saw that, even a mix of the two targets, I would dig it anyway. Nonetheless, it passed the test.

Bri-

I tried it with my BH 3300 and it picked up the coin signal.
A good test. Merf

False test.There should always be a gap between the iron and the none ferrous target.
Try burying the coin a few inches deep and use three or four large iron nails above and see how well most of the motion machines do. There are machines that will see through the iron.

I simply don;t discrim at all.

I take my five year old with me and she wants to dig everything.

Even the pull tabs and bottlecaps are "treasure" to her. :grin:

Because even the worse detector made ( as long as it can discriminate/balance out the exact amount of iron present ) will give a positive signal if a coin is added.
You can never exactly balance out in-ground iron. You either discrim. out small nails and hear all large iron or set discrimination high to try and miss most iron. In either case a coin touching iron has to drag a signal up from the null or silent range into the audible which is extremely difficult unless its a very large coin or very small bit of iron.
There was a range of similar tests with ringpulls that some of the more doubtfull dealers demonstrated that worked fine in air but not in the field. And don't get me started on surface blanking.

Thats why I keep a Compass 77b. The Troy 2 is just just the Tesoro Silver Sabre with Troys own coil with a swap in the way the coil is wound to change the detection pattern so a similar Tesoro should be as good. The Gold Mountain 1650 is excellent in trash if you can find one.
Similar 'in-iron' performance to the Compass is found in the far cheaper original Viking IB/TR or the Whites Beachcomber.

A very interesting discussion. MORE! :yes:

What is it that enables these detectors to outperform more expensive (I think) models ie. DFX, Explorer, in this regard?

O.K. I'll bite. Tell us about surface blanking. :yes: Pleeez.

Put on about a 400 hundred word reply and it disappeared as I pressed post. Tried again with similar results. If nothing appears I'll have another go tomorrow. Wonder if this will appear ?

Try a short version this time.
The idea was that gold rings,coins etc being heavier than ringpulls and foil would sink deeper.
Use an off shoot of the depth reading system introduced I think by Whites. No meter needed the detector had an extra circuit that worked out approximate target depth and just did not pass on the audio response from a target that was within a few inches of the coin. Compass and Tesoro both developed machines with depth blanking. The more sophisticated allowed the depth to be ignored/blanked to be adjusted so you could decide to take out down to two inches or more if required. The simple versions would just ignore say the top four inches with no adjustment allowed.
Drawbacks....worms,ploughing etc means rubbish can go deep and good stuff can be brought up to the surface.
The system ignored all metal both good and bad. So if blanking to four inches is used and a gold coin was at surface or any depth down to four then it would not give an audio response.
It would be picked up but you would not know.
Worse each bit of metal good or bad which you are not allowed to hear blocks the signal from deeper down and target masks out sideways.

As for old machines they normally were heavy, used more batteries and needed more skill to use to good effect.
On the other hand many turned out to have unexpected abilities like iron see through or the ability to find deep coins of unpure metal (ferrous contaminated) that modern machines would reject as being iron. Most non motion detectors had far less problem with steel washers,crown caps etc than modern motion machines.
Not having to move the coil to detect was a great advantage. No filters so no worry about keeping to the correct sweep speed. Hole in a rock or tree ? Just shove the coil in. No need to wriggle it about. And in high rubbish areas discriminating by just sitting the coil dead over the target knowing that a motion machine might well be picking up one or two other targets as its coil is swept giving you a false reading.
Problem with the old classics is that if you don't have a modern detector you will need two or three old machines to get you on different sites. What makes one work well on one site means it will be really poor on another.
Re cost I had a couple of machines twenty years ago that each cost more than an Explorer does today and money was money in those days. So not cheap.

Back
Top Bottom