A few local mid-century sodas

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Got out to a farmhouse today to do some detecting (as the fields are thawed but currently a mud pit...). Got to talking with the old guy who owns it (as to why I have poison ivy on my face...digging a trash pit). He told me that across that field yonder in the woods is a dump. Thought, heck with it, I can come back and detect in the spring and grabbed my diggin' pack and a bucket and took a walk. Amongst the hundreds of jars and cans I pulled a couple soda bottles that will go nicely with my small collection. They ain't cork tops, but I like the vintage soda bottles, especially local stuff. One of these days I'll find a Hi-Klas that isn't broken!!

Attachments

• KIMG0762.jpg
    KIMG0762.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 212
  • KIMG0763.jpg
    KIMG0763.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 187
  • KIMG0764.jpg
    KIMG0764.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 175
  • KIMG0765.jpg
    KIMG0765.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 158
  • KIMG0768.jpg
    KIMG0768.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 177
Hmmmm, Eberles Brewing Co. from 1897-1919 per the web but also found activity up to 1941. Jackson, Mich, my hometown. I’ve found several from the teens and 20’s. I bought several crates of embossed mint 30’s and 40’s painted sodas ten years ago, just to get an early amber blob, and gave away the rest! Could smack myself.

Congrats!

Hmmmm, Eberles Brewing Co. from 1897-1919 per the web but also found activity up to 1941. Jackson, Mich, my hometown. I’ve found several from the teens and 20’s. I bought several crates of embossed mint 30’s and 40’s painted sodas ten years ago, just to get an early amber blob, and gave away the rest! Could smack myself.

Congrats!

Thanks! That one held up great...definitely Jackson.

Nice bottles and good job rescuing them.

One tip that might be useful if you go back and find more.

I was reading a thread on another website about bottle digging and they were saying that when you dig those painted bottles out of moist or wet dirt - you should bring them home and let them dry for a month or so, otherwise you risk removing some of the paint too.

I never knew that so just tossing it out there in case you find more moving forward.

Nice bottles and good job rescuing them.

One tip that might be useful if you go back and find more.

I was reading a thread on another website about bottle digging and they were saying that when you dig those painted bottles out of moist or wet dirt - you should bring them home and let them dry for a month or so, otherwise you risk removing some of the paint too.

I never knew that so just tossing it out there in case you find more moving forward.
Good to know...I will try that

Yeah that IS true about the ACL labels. If you can unearth them with label intact, you may or may not be able to save the paint from self-destructing as soon as 2018 air hits them. If paint stays intact don't even try to wipe them for a good while or the paint will crumble if they are vulnerable. Some come out OK right away. The idea that sometimes works (like yacorie said) is to just put them aside and let them stew for awhile. Some people have better success laying them out in the sun to "bake" the paint hard again. I have had mixed success with these, and it's really up to the "Bottle Gods" :D whether they survive or not. I have pulled these ACLs out just to see the paint shrivel right in front of my eyes! :shock:

Yeah that IS true about the ACL labels. If you can unearth them with label intact, you may or may not be able to save the paint from self-destructing as soon as 2018 air hits them. If paint stays intact don't even try to wipe them for a good while or the paint will crumble if they are vulnerable. Some come out OK right away. The idea that sometimes works (like yacorie said) is to just put them aside and let them stew for awhile. Some people have better success laying them out in the sun to "bake" the paint hard again. I have had mixed success with these, and it's really up to the "Bottle Gods" :D whether they survive or not. I have pulled these ACLs out just to see the paint shrivel right in front of my eyes! :shock:

Yes, I was....annoyed...when I washed part of the bottler name off that Hunters with my soft toothbrush. Will let them sit in the future. Or to save the hassle will just find embossed bottles :D

I had the same issue with the 7up bottle I found with the kids last year over thanksgiving. I thought I was cleaning off dirt and grime until I noticed the paint was going too.

You could spray clear enamel or clearcoat over an ACL bottle to "seal" the painted label (or what's left of it) but you'd have to get any dirt or debris off first because there's no going back once the coating is on. I've never done it, but I did once see where somebody did that, and it made the bottle look unnaturally shiny. And I'd worry about if the clear ever started to flake off. Maybe using a good one like Minwax Clear Satin?

Back
Top Bottom