• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Dug a little Detroit History today.

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
I have been doing real well on nickels lately.Wed. On the hedge line between my backyard and next door I got a solid 13 on the Equinox 800. 5in. down was a 45 war nickel. # 7 FTY. on Fri. I got a new permission, a house built in 1905. First day nothing too old but I did get 3 wheaties and Buff #7 FTY. a 1935. and a dog tag and 2 bucks in clad. Today I dug a toasty 1910 V nickel. You can just barely make out the date. It was a good 7in. down and came in 11-12. Soon after I get a 30-31 and dug what I thought was a firemans badge. I saw color on it so I didn't want to rub it and possibly lose some detail. I about s--t when I got home and cleaned it up. Its probably is my coolest find all year. For those of you who don't know the history of Dodge, both brothers died by 1920 and by 1925 the widows sold out to Chrysler. Next signal was 26-27--5in. down I saw silver, finally, its been almost a month without. A 54 Rosie. Also dug 2 harmonica reeds in the same hole. Added 6 more wheaties, the oldest I think was 45. Also about a buck in clad. Also thought I had my first gold ring of the year but it looks to be plated. Great day, dug a mixed bag of finds and enjoyed getting out. I think this house may have some old stuff to give up. The weather for Wed. looks good so will head back there. Till next time HH to all. Mark

Attachments

• 20181217_185748.jpg
    20181217_185748.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 553
  • 20181213_154427.jpg
    20181213_154427.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 525
  • 20181213_182124.jpg
    20181213_182124.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 20181213_182150.jpg
    20181213_182150.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 520
  • 20181217_213911.jpg
    20181217_213911.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 530
  • 20181217_160824.jpg
    20181217_160824.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 493
  • 20181217_160801.jpg
    20181217_160801.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 504
  • 20181217_214223.jpg
    20181217_214223.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 494
  • 20181217_213936.jpg
    20181217_213936.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 477
  • 20181217_194004.jpg
    20181217_194004.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 489
  • 20181217_212552.jpg
    20181217_212552.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 480
Nice hunting, Mark! That Dodge Brothers badge is awesome! Congrats on the silver, old nicks, and other cool finds, too. I’ve never found complete harmonica reeds before - always just bits and pieces, so I’ve always just thought of them as glorified canslaw :lol: If I could pull up complete ones like that, I’d change my tune on those :yes: Also, that reins guide is pretty slick - looks like it still has some black lacquer on the ring?

Thanks

Nice hunting, Mark! That Dodge Brothers badge is awesome! Congrats on the silver, old nicks, and other cool finds, too. I’ve never found complete harmonica reeds before - always just bits and pieces, so I’ve always just thought of them as glorified canslaw :lol: If I could pull up complete ones like that, I’d change my tune on those :yes: Also, that reins guide is pretty slick - looks like it still has some black lacquer on the ring?

Ben, thank you. Best one yet, My buddy dug a Dodge Bros. Emblem in the spring and that was cool. I wonder if the one I dug was on a hubcap or what. And thanks or the id on the reins guide--I'm a city boy and had no idea what that was. Hope you get out a few more times before the freeze sets in. HH Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-06-08-39-00 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_2018-05-06-08-39-00 (1).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 507
Some very fine digging Mark. Congrats on the Nickle trifecta for the week, the Badge and all the rest. The "Nov" is a monster on Nickles and does a very nice job on everything else too. Trapper

Ben, thank you. Best one yet, My buddy dug a Dodge Bros. Emblem in the spring and that was cool. I wonder if the one I dug was on a hubcap or what. And thanks or the id on the reins guide--I'm a city boy and had no idea what that was. Hope you get out a few more times before the freeze sets in. HH Mark

No problem, Mark! I’m a city slicker, too - only way I knew what it was is a fellow forum member pointed one out to me when I posted it in my “trash” pic on one of my posts :lol:

I got curious on the Dodge emblems and did a few searches - it looks like the one you dug is the radiator emblem off of a 1920s Dodge! I did a Google search for “dodge brothers radiator emblem” then switched to the “images” and pulled up a ton of them!

The one your buddy dug is sweet, too! Looks like that one is from the mid to late 30s: here’s the Google search for “1937 Dodge grill emblem”

All cool digs! Here’s a few pics for those who don’t want to follow the links:

Attachments

• BD8AD584-D19E-40D8-A830-3109DF0C692C.jpeg
    BD8AD584-D19E-40D8-A830-3109DF0C692C.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 429
  • D90A81AB-5AA6-4C0C-892D-1C572AA7F057.jpeg
    D90A81AB-5AA6-4C0C-892D-1C572AA7F057.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 454
  • E45C6D50-94B6-4E3F-BC93-4A4EBCBD8CCC.jpeg
    E45C6D50-94B6-4E3F-BC93-4A4EBCBD8CCC.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 439
Thanks

No problem, Mark! I’m a city slicker, too - only way I knew what it was is a fellow forum member pointed one out to me when I posted it in my “trash” pic on one of my posts :lol:

I got curious on the Dodge emblems and did a few searches - it looks like the one you dug is the radiator emblem off of a 1920s Dodge! I did a Google search for “dodge brothers radiator emblem” then switched to the “images” and pulled up a ton of them!

The one your buddy dug is sweet, too! Looks like that one is from the mid to late 30s: here’s the Google search for “1937 Dodge grill emblem”

All cool digs! Here’s a few pics for those who don’t want to follow the links:

Thanks so much for the links, Really puts things in prospective and brings it back to life. Again thank you Ben.

Thanks

Some very fine digging Mark. Congrats on the Nickle trifecta for the week, the Badge and all the rest. The "Nov" is a monster on Nickles and does a very nice job on everything else too. Trapper

Trapper thank you. I hope today is your day, best of luck in achieving a truly remarkable goal. HH Mark

Thanks

Congrats Mark! You are finding some really cool stuff, good luck and HH!!!
Ron thank you. With us running out of weather every hunt counts. AND it would be nice to bump up the silver count a little' In the past I have not counted war nickels in my silver count but with my silver count being so low that will have to change. lol. Good luck and the best to you and the family. Happy Holidays. Mark

Congrats on the nice assortment of finds! If you find anymore war nickels, there wouldn't be any left for the rest of us to find...lol.
JAK, Thank you sir.

Yes I have been lucky with the war nickels lately. I don't know if I told you but ironically I picked up a war nickel last Dec. in the other neighbors yard. That said I have got a war nickel in my yard and one from each of the neighbors. An interesting note, I stopped at the Giant Eagle yesterday and a guy who works there and always cleans out the Coinstar asks me if I know a little about war nickels and he proceeded to show me 2 1944s. a D & P I have never seen two nickels this shiney. They looked like chrome. He told me he picked them up after a less than stellar looking individual used the coin star. I offered him a buck apiece for them but he declined. I told him they probably were proof coins. They were pretty. Hope you get out a couple more times before the end of the year. Happy holidays. Mark

JAK, Thank you sir.

Yes I have been lucky with the war nickels lately....

Mark, I hear you about the Giant store...and those that use the counter machines. I found like a couple of silvers this year from it. That would of been great if you could have bought those two nicks.

I went back out yesterday, just to run up my Y/E clad totals at a clad buffet park, which added $17 to my new totals. I have to say, the NOX has been real good to me this year, probably 3-4xs my clad total from last year. It is a nickel and dime beast. Well, keep finding those elusive war nicks as they are getting scarcer to find. HH and Merry Christmas to you too! John

A friend of mine used to work as a clerk in convenience store in a not so desirable neighborhood. Some people would bring in cashes of old coins to spend sometimes. Mixed in with them at times would be proof coins. You gotta believe they were stolen because the thieves did not care about the condition of the proof coins. I believe when you remove them from the packaging you ruin the value. The Coinstar machines in poor neighborhoods probably produce more old coins than those in more well off neighborhoods.

Looks like you're on a good site. Congrats on all the finds and that cool dodge bros. badge!

I love that Dodge Bros. badge! I've been a "Mopar" muscle car guy forever. Seeing this lead me to read the history of the "Dodge Bros." just now. Nice find!

Thanks

A friend of mine used to work as a clerk in convenience store in a not so desirable neighborhood. Some people would bring in cashes of old coins to spend sometimes. Mixed in with them at times would be proof coins. You gotta believe they were stolen because the thieves did not care about the condition of the proof coins. I believe when you remove them from the packaging you ruin the value. The Coinstar machines in poor neighborhoods probably produce more old coins than those in more well off neighborhoods.
Yes I agree, unfortunately some one out there lost something they deemed valuable. We have one member on here is up to 20 coinstar silver this year. I'm not that lucky, in the 3 1/2 yrs I have been checking coinstars, only 2, a 43 New Zealand quarter and a Rosie. A ton of foriegn coins and sticky zincolns. Oh well. HH Mark

Cool badge!
Thank you, I love it. HHMark

Great stuff...love the Dodge Bros. token
Thank you sir, most likely top my list for cool find of the year. HH Mark

Niceness!
Thank you. Happy Holidays. HH Mark

Looks like you're on a good site. Congrats on all the finds and that cool dodge bros. badge!
Yes, thank you, it seems I finally got on a decent door knock this year. I have had several old permissions this year but none produced. I went back yesterday and dug some more old stuff and some silver. Am going to pound this place as long as weather permits. Toad take care and Happy Holidays tou you and yours. Mark

I love that Dodge Bros. badge! I've been a "Mopar" muscle car guy forever. Seeing this lead me to read the history of the "Dodge Bros." just now. Nice find!
Yes I read that after my buddy found the winged Dodge emblem in the spring. Its a shame they died so young. HH Mark

Fantastic finds! Congratulations

Back
Top Bottom