New to the hobby?

Jeff R

Elite Member
1. Read and understand the manual.
2. ?Air test? different coins and junk
3. Make a test bed in the ground. Find a spot that does not have any signals. And burry quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies and stuff you hope to find along with a couple nails, bottle caps and such. All at different depths. Mark them on the ground with a numbered poker chip then mark out the depths and locations on a map.
4. Practice.
5. Have fun!

I have a Test bed that I use to test new settings and I try to closely replicate an old dig site, since that is where my focus is. You may want to replicate a park? Stick with the test bed for a couple hours a week. And come back to it occasionally to see how much better you are getting. It is also a great place to test a digging buddy?s detectors that you are considering purchasing.

Jeff... A coin garden needs to "age" You need to let it settle naturally and don't think about using it for at least 5 years... You won't get the same readings from a new coin garden that you would from coins being in the ground for a longer period...

Great idea. Of course mine is only 8 months old. But it is as close to a "controled" dig site as I can get for a few more years. And I do not think I can wait until it gets 350 years old like my sites. :grin:
Excelent point though. A test garden will not replicate a dig site, it will only simulate it to a certain detail.
What other advice can we give the new detectorest?

I buried some coins at 4" and 6" and lost them. By lost them i mean the detector's cant see them no beep nothing :o( . Virginia soil stinks on freshly buried coins, heh anything. I havent tried to look for them in 6 months or so. I'll see if they can register come spring.

Oh man that's tough luck. Hide a couple coins to test on ... and loose them. :shock: I am sure if you hid a bottle cap you would find it instantly. If it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any. :wow:

I've been wanting to make a test garden for a few weeks. Does it matter what type of soil one should use?

I've got some fairly deep sand that would be perfect.

Put mine in last spring. I know the longer it is "aged" the better. I have a feeling by this spring I will get stronger signals there than when I first put it in. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom