First Hour With the New Ace 350 - Damn, I 'm Tired...

Yep, go by the middle of the hole, in the center of the coil, right in front of the shaft... When I had my 250, after pinpointing, I would stick my digger through that hole, then move my coil... Although a 350 has a different style of coil I think..

<*)))>{

Yes the hole in front of the shaft is where to dig according to videos. You must of been distracted?
:)
Me im still waiting on my machine. :(

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

Your 350 should have come with a DD coil not a concentric. I find it's easier to pinpoint with the DD coil off of the front nose. Pinpoint side to side until you have your strongest signal, then pull the coil toward you. When you notice a considerable drop off on the signal, the target should be just in front of the center of your coil.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

Never heard of "Garrett acu-find" can't find anything on it either on the web ?

Good idea about getting better before going to a park or any well maintained public property. Frankly I can't imagine going to such a place without a PP as one fellow mentiones hunting without one. Those "craters" are what get people kicked out, and MD banned.

For the record the garrett pro pointer gets about 1.5 inches depth on coin sized objects, not having to touch the object. And most who own one (not all) will agree worth every penny of the price.

I simply won't hunt without a "good" pinpointer, period! I started the hobby by simply waving dirt over the coil and the Texas heat was terrible back in June 2010. That fact had me leave holes without finding the treasure to find the AC at home. So...I had a free, inherited metal detector and kept reading about the Garretts Propointer at the nominal price of $127 and I decided to spring for it even though it hurt the wallet. Best money I ever spent. I revisited my digs with it and literally found I had left coins on the surface.

Your 350 should have come with a DD coil not a concentric. I find it's easier to pinpoint with the DD coil off of the front nose. Pinpoint side to side until you have your strongest signal, then pull the coil toward you. When you notice a considerable drop off on the signal, the target should be just in front of the center of your coil.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center (MCC)

Yep, it came with a DD coil. I'll give this process a try and see what I come up with. I really appreciate the feedback!

Good idea about getting better before going to a park or any well maintained public property. Frankly I can't imagine going to such a place without a PP as one fellow mentiones hunting without one. Those "craters" are what get people kicked out, and MD banned.

For the record the garrett pro pointer gets about 1.5 inches depth on coin sized objects, not having to touch the object. And most who own one (not all) will agree worth every penny of the price.

I was looking at the Pro Pointers and will certainly be springing for one of those! Last thing I want to do is make a mess of things and lose access to some good spots.

For the record. The craters I dug at first were in MY yard. Now when I go to the park I carry a towel with me and dig a small plug and dig the dirt out from under it and put all the dirt on the towel and dump it all back in and replace the plug. Can't hardly tell I even dug there when I'm done

Chris W.

Yep, it came with a DD coil. I'll give this process a try and see what I come up with. I really appreciate the feedback!

There is a very good video on pin pointing with the DD coil, It's the find the object, side to side, strongest signal, pull straight back method. Once I got used to it I found it to be dead on spot every time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-hqvdjRVxc

For the record. The craters I dug at first were in MY yard. Now when I go to the park I carry a towel with me and dig a small plug and dig the dirt out from under it and put all the dirt on the towel and dump it all back in and replace the plug. Can't hardly tell I even dug there when I'm done

Chris W.

Same here, that is why I started in MY backyard as well.... Now I only have to answer to my wife.... It might be easier to answer to the municipality, but at least this way I don't ruin it for anyone else....:lol:

My mistake... In looking closer, it does not seem to actually be a Garrett product. Just looks kind of like a generic device....

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/garrett-ace350.php

if you scroll down this page to the free accessory pack, you will see it. A better one is certainly in my future...;)

Well, I made it out yesterday afternoon to the beach again for about an hour. It took me a little time to get a good idea of where the line was between sand that was too wet, and sand that was dry enough to work easily. Once I got that down, I used the procedure referenced above for pinpointing, and things started working pretty well. I was using the "zero" setting on my 350, which allows everything. I was digging furiously and finding all sorts of junk. The good part of that, is that I was FINDING !!!!....:lol:

I was running out of time, so I set the discrimination to relics, and found a few things. All in all, it was a ton of fun, and I feel like the pinpointing is coming together. I did learn that I need a tool belt, and a sand scoop though. The coins that I found were tough to actually locate visually....lol.

I must have dug up about 8-10 aluminum cans too.... I threw them in my pouch, and tossed them in the trash on the way out. The ranger saw me and said thanks. He asked how I did, and I told him I found a whopping $0.17!!! Woohoo.... He just laughed and mentioned that he would like to get into detecting someday too. Who knows, maybe a future hunting partner..;)

Attachments

• First Beach Finds.jpg
    First Beach Finds.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom