*Updated* Hey newbies...you think your sites are hunted out? Nope!

That's interesting that the EMI affected your Compadre more than the F2. I've had areas I simply could not hunt with the F2, unless I turned the sensitivity down to 1 or 2.

Those same areas, I could use my Golden Umax at full sensitivity, with no interference. One area had 2 huge cell phone towers and the other had high voltage power lines coming off of the hydro-electric dam nearby!

Bought my Compadre from Skiwhiz who went inside and turned up the sense to a hair below max.
I can't get closer to tot lot metal than a foot, where regular units can usually get right up to them.
Don't care, I love it this way.
My Vaq also gave me lots of chatter on high sense, it was ok with it turned down a bit.

The F2 seemed to have no problem on max sense and that surprised me too.
I must live right or something.

Bought my Compadre from Skiwhiz who went inside and turned up the sense to a hair below max.
I can't get closer to tot lot metal than a foot, where regular units can usually get right up to them.
Don't care, I love it this way.

My Compadre will signal the metal posts in a Tot Lot at a distance of 12-15 inches. It hasn't been altered in any way...that's the way it was adjusted straight out of the box. It has the 5.75" coil.

This gives me encouragement to hunt my 1870 trash filled Nail filled pull tabbed filled yard
again still holding out for some silver but the oldest coin found in yard 1909 wheat

Are you sure your not hunting in my yard....:D

SINCE THIS WAS POSTED - Twice this month (March) I've hunted a couple of what I call "stand by parks", places that seem to produce because because there are plenty of people around. Trashy type areas. I put on the small coil and practice my navigation techniques. I don't need raw horsepower, I tweek the settings down, you know what I'm talking about. I've hunted these sites many times and have had gresat conversatoins with other detectorists I have met. One of these sites produced for me a nice unengraved 14kt bracelet weighing in at 13.9 grams. Two weeks later, I hunted the other park recovered a silver ring and not more than five minutes later popped a whooping 1.8 gram gold band from the ground. Yesterday, I visited my brother who is staying in an RV park by a lake. He has been hunting it pretty hard with some fantastic results. I parked in the empty space next to him, got my machine walked in front of the car and turned it on. I was checking ground balance right over a clad dime, moved over to a clean spot, ground balanced, swept the coil a few times and got that nickle signal .Turned out to be a 1930 Buffalo. So there you go - there is no such thing as "hunted out". Ther is such a thing as using the proper coil, settings and SLOW DOWN your sweep. Go back to those hunted out areas - you may be pleasantly surprised!

Great post and good advice !! Gotta love the X-terra 705 .. New detector with every coil change ... Now if I only had the money to buy the coils :mad::mad::mad:

Great Post!

Sounds like I won't have to go far, the little park next door will keep me busy for a while. I like the idea of changing directions and coils.

Thank You!

Well boys and girls, just to reiterate my point and drive it home, I went back to this same park for about 2 hours this morning.
Used the F2 again and just went extremely slow, no gridding, just wandered about.

As you can see, as many times as I have hit this small site, no matter how careful and thorough I try to be, there is still plenty more to find.
I keep going back because even though the clad is fun, I really want to find any jewelry or rings that might be here.
Found a couple of junkers, but if the quality stuff is here, rest assured I will eventually find it.

Once again, Never give up...Never surrender!

HH

Attachments

• P1020725.jpg
    P1020725.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 163
There are 2 small parks near the house that I hit when I don't have time to drive to the beach. I've found the same thing that others are finding... there's tons of clad around as long as you spend the time to look. I don't get anywhere near the amounts that Digger gets, but I rarely come home from a 2 hour hunt with less than $2. I do dig tons of junk (I got a 3" diamater pipe about 4" long at 10" deep with the F2 last time out) but I figure I'm just cleaning it up for my next hunt.

It's a neighborhood park and as such I probably won't find gold, but I'll keep digging hoping that I do!

Good luck and HH!

There are 2 small parks near the house that I hit when I don't have time to drive to the beach. I've found the same thing that others are finding... there's tons of clad around as long as you spend the time to look. I don't get anywhere near the amounts that Digger gets, but I rarely come home from a 2 hour hunt with less than $2. I do dig tons of junk (I got a 3" diamater pipe about 4" long at 10" deep with the F2 last time out) but I figure I'm just cleaning it up for my next hunt.

It's a neighborhood park and as such I probably won't find gold, but I'll keep digging hoping that I do!

Good luck and HH!

I found that after hitting sites over and over, the techniques above really helped make them produce.
Today, I forced myself to go real slow which is not easy for me because I am a naturally fast swinger.
On this hunt, a 3 foot arc took about 3-4 seconds to complete.
Slow motion, sure, but look at all the good targets that my F2 noticed that I did not find before on those other hunts.
Still ain't done with this place yet!
More to come, I am sure!

HH

Back
Top Bottom