• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

mcfadden beach in sabine pass texas

Joshthenewb

I am going to try my luck in the morning it will be my fist beach hunt well actualy my first hunt besides my yard I have had my detector for about a week now. I went and bought a sandscoop today and have been researching beach hunting if you have any personal tips please let me know. And I will post pics of my finds if any tomarrow. Thanks

I will I was reading somewhere something about how my little bh quick silver might not be good enough for beach hunting but I will find out tomarrow. I almost bought a ace250. Today but I am going to wait till I find enough stuff for this one to pay for itself then upgrade and use this for a backup.

An Ace 250 isn't that great for wet sand beach hunting either. I think your machine should be fine in the dry sand, and who knows how the wet sand will go.

finds

Well I said I would post pics but I only got to hunt for 45 minutes and only got 3 pennies and a nickle the oldest was only a 1987. But for my first hunt away from home it was awsome I belive I have just discovered a life long hobby. I think I am going to search around some old houses I have just received permission to hunt on all 3 were built before 1910

There is an AMAZING amount of history in your area...do your homework and you will find some fantastic relics...

Well I said I would post pics but I only got to hunt for 45 minutes and only got 3 pennies and a nickle the oldest was only a 1987. But for my first hunt away from home it was awsome I belive I have just discovered a life long hobby. I think I am going to search around some old houses I have just received permission to hunt on all 3 were built before 1910

why are people getting tickets for metal detecting on McFadden Beach

......maybe that's the reason for detectorists being cited? ...

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but : Can anyone cite any-such-incident at this beach ? Of anyone *really* getting a "citation" for md'ing here ? Or is this just something someone heard as the "imminent risk" of such a horrible thing as md'ing, and thus simply assumed that "tickets are being passed out" ?

The reason I ask is, we also have a beach in CA that's supposedly off-limits. And you'll hear this supposed imminent risk of "tickets" blah blah . Yet when you "poll the panel" of every long-time detectorist in that part of the state NO one can ever recall any such incident. Perhaps a scram now and then (and ... humorously .... md'rs who simply didn't know any better, and md'd for years and no one ever said so much as "boo" to them :roll: ).

McFadden beach

I am the one who posted about mcfadden beach.....i do not know the people who have gotten tickets but a good friend told me not to go to the beach to detect.....he has friends who have gotted them $100.00bucks now they do have a state park on the beach so every one knows not to detect there but mcfadden beach is a public beach they also have a nude beach ,,,,,,i wish someone could get to the bottom of this

I am the one who posted about mcfadden beach.....i do not know the people who have gotten tickets but a good friend told me not to go to the beach to detect.....he has friends who have gotted them $100.00bucks now they do have a state park on the beach so every one knows not to detect there but mcfadden beach is a public beach they also have a nude beach ,,,,,,i wish someone could get to the bottom of this

So you "heard" that someone(s) got a $100 ticket. Eh ? But don't know of it/them personally. It's just something you heard. And I notice it's 2x removed (ie.: "heard it from a friend, who also heard it from a friend...")

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and speculate that if you try to trace it back through this "string of friends", that so TOO will they have "heard it from a friend".

All it takes is for someone to tell another person about a $100 fine (even if it never came to fruition on anyone), and by-the-time it reaches down 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand, it now morphs into "tickets being passed out".

I could be wrong, but I have seen this phenomenon happen first hand. Where the mere speculation, once it enters the gossip chain, becomes "imminent threat of jail and fines". Yet when you go to poll the panel, it seems to always boils down to "someone who told someone who told someone who told...." back to infinity.

And it appears that the O.P. "Josh" was there on 12/29/10 and (gasp) didn't get a ticket ? Let me guess: This was before the law went into effect , eh ? :roll:

.... I have seen this phenomenon happen first hand. Where the mere speculation, once it enters the gossip chain, becomes "imminent threat of jail and fines"....

I just made a separate post , of this phenomenon in actual effect.

So you "heard" that someone(s) got a $100 ticket. Eh ? But don't know of it/them personally. It's just something you heard. And I notice it's 2x removed (ie.: "heard it from a friend, who also heard it from a friend...")

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and speculate that if you try to trace it back through this "string of friends", that so TOO will they have "heard it from a friend".

All it takes is for someone to tell another person about a $100 fine (even if it never came to fruition on anyone), and by-the-time it reaches down 2nd and 3rd and 4th hand, it now morphs into "tickets being passed out".

I could be wrong, but I have seen this phenomenon happen first hand. Where the mere speculation, once it enters the gossip chain, becomes "imminent threat of jail and fines". Yet when you go to poll the panel, it seems to always boils down to "someone who told someone who told someone who told...." back to infinity.

And it appears that the O.P. "Josh" was there on 12/29/10 and (gasp) didn't get a ticket ? Let me guess: This was before the law went into effect , eh ? :roll:

It does appear to potentially be a violation of park rules (which are backed by state law).

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.TacPage?sl=R&app=9&p_dir=&p_rloc=&p_tloc=&p_ploc=&pg=1&p_tac=&ti=31&pt=2&ch=59&rl=134
(l) Natural and Cultural Resources.[...]
(2) Geological features. It is an offense for any person to take, remove, destroy, deface, tamper with, or disturb any rock, earth, soil, gem, mineral, fossil, or other geological deposit except by permit issued by the director.
And very arguably the natural resources code (https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/NR/htm/NR.191.htm#191.0525).

These and others were reviewed in 2002 and approached by TPWD that metal detecting is prohibited in state parks (ref https://tpwd.texas.gov/business/feedback/meetings/2002/0117/agenda/item_8/).

That's enough to convince me that a ticket is at least a potential outcome, if not likely. Of course I'd like to see that changed.

It does appear to potentially be a violation of park rules (which are backed by state law)....

Re.: "....

(l) Natural and Cultural Resources.[...]
(2) Geological features. It is an offense for any person to take, remove, destroy, deface, tamper with, or disturb any rock, earth, soil, gem, mineral, fossil, or other geological deposit except by permit issued by the director.
..."....

Jordan, thanx for chiming in. And I don't disagree that all things you cite *can* be construed to forbid md'ing. If given enough thought and "following-the-dots". Because, sure, we :

A) *might* (gasp) find something old (thus falling afoul of cultural heritage)

B) We "tamper" with rock & soil (heaven forbid) during the act of (gasp) digging.

C) We "take and remove" things (pulltabs, coins, fishing sinkers, etc....) which *could* be construed as "park features" if you stood on one foot and squinted real hard and asked enough lawyers.

But here's the problem : There's not a SINGLE one of the 50 states that doesn't have similar wording. Eg.: Some form or fashion of exactly the same things you're posting. In fact, even at the county & city level parks, the SAME verbiage can be found . Perhaps not exact words as here, but trust me : Verbiage that disallows "disturbing" and "altering" and "removing" and "harvesting" etc....

However, I think you can agree that despite all this, that md'ing is common place across the USA in (gasp) parks. Right ? How can that be ? Are they/we all scofflaws ?

Nope. The difference is, that it's never been thrust into the limelight as a "pressing issue" that "needs to be clarified and decided", as happened in your last link . Decisions which invariably need to pass through a archie's desks, lawyers, etc... Therefore, moral of the story ? : The LESS that deskbound pencil pushers are pressed with thinking of us and deciding on us, the better.

Everything you're citing could also be said of the verbiage that is in CA state parks. Yet we can hunt our beaches here till we're blue in the face. So you tell me : Is it better just to "leave good enough alone" ? Or to assume and/or worry that such verbiage automatically means "no md'ing " ? :?:

Back
Top Bottom