• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

White gold or not?

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
I had a strange one on the weekend. I found a ring that rang up 29-30 and I assumed it would be a silver ring. But it came out without the normal grey silver oxide, but rather a light brown coating of stuff stuck to it that came off very easily after 5 minutes in clr. The ring looks very worn like it's been down there a long time and I'd expect it to be grey
10k acid test doesn't touch it in the slightest and there's writing on the inside but it's too worn to make out. weighs 3.6grams, I'm thinking it's white gold?

edit - I should also add I tried the silver test acid and it got almost no reaction. I confirmed the silver test solution is still good by testing a stamped 925 ring and it turned a red colour.

https://youtu.be/Heo1iiLi6Ok

Attachments

• Resized_0.jpeg
    Resized_0.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 499
I would guess gold. Especially if there was writing inside. Do a density test and be sure.

I have never seen a gold ring over 22, let alone 30. I would double check the vdi again. If you still get a 30 I'm guessing it's not gold. Does it feel heavy for it's size?

I have never seen a gold ring over 22, let alone 30. I would double check the vdi again. If you still get a 30 I'm guessing it's not gold. Does it feel heavy for it's size?
I once had a heavy white gold ring with lots of diamonds that rang up as high penny on my BH Discovery 3300. What about the non-gold precious metals palladium or platinum?

I once had a heavy white gold ring with lots of diamonds that rang up as high penny on my BH Discovery 3300. What about the non-gold precious metals palladium or platinum?
I think you're on to something.... Palladium or platinum

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I found my first Nickel/Silver ring this year. I would have never been able to figure it out if it was not marked. Came out clean like gold and had a similar type of finish. I think you would know if it was Plat because of the feel and weight...Not sure on the Palladium. Good Luck..

hmm I did an sg test and I got 8.7. I didn't think it felt heavy either.
So silver alloyed with something weird that prevented it getting the usual tarnish?

Palladium has an SG of 12 fyi, but it's a hard metal so I don't think that's it as it's a softer metal.

Dare I say it aluminium? who would make such a hideous thing?!

I've been watching some opinions as to what this is , some good guesses. I have found a couple of what look like this over the years. It is old. Don't rule out Magnesium. Hence the old term of "Mag" wheels came from. I was at wits end and took it to a pawn shop where they had a very expensive digital analyzer. That's how I found out. Just my guess anyway...

hmm I did an sg test and I got 8.7. I didn't think it felt heavy either.
So silver alloyed with something weird that prevented it getting the usual tarnish?

Palladium has an SG of 12 fyi, but it's a hard metal so I don't think that's it as it's a softer metal.

Dare I say it aluminium? who would make such a hideous thing?!

I have found quite few silver rings that was covered in Rhodium although your ring doesn't look shiny enough..

Can we see the inside of band please ?

Never seen gold with this finish...take that baby and have it tested..

This would make a great.... guess contest...winner gets a week at Earls ...SurfMaster Resort in Oc Md...

Attachments

• 21.jpeg
    21.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 350
Never seen gold with this finish...take that baby and have it tested..

This would make a great.... guess contest...winner gets a week at Earls ...SurfMaster Resort in Oc Md...
That finish has been eaten away by the elements. That SM Resort needs to go to a more deserving guy than me. So I disqualify myself. What the heck would I learn...how to keep all my gear in pristine condition ? How to delicately pull your detector outta the closet ? Or how NOT to wear out a titanium scoop in sand ?šŸ¤£ Because I'm doing it all wrong.....and proud of it šŸ¤£

Here is the writing on the inside - it's enough to tell there's writing but not enough to read it, just the M at the start

Attachments

• 20201122_214627.jpg
    20201122_214627.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 328
Back
Top Bottom