Xtreme Titanium Scoop Fail (update 12/8)

KOB

Forum Supporter
Ok guys here you go... I bought this from John the beginning of March , very expensive with some goodies thrown in. 10 year warranty. In September I call and send him pics of my titanium x3. Its 6 months old of digging in hard wet sand , light gravel. No abuse on this scoop. He is in shock. He states that he has "heavy hitters " using this scoop and it's never happened before. Guess what ? I am a "heavy hitter". I think I got one of the 1st run of production. Later that day of my 1st contact , I sent him more pics. Shortly thereafter I received a text from John that was meant for someone else ! He was basically bashing me. So I have evidence and won't go further here about that text. When we spoke , he didn't have any titanium replacements or SS versions available due to supplier / covid issues. Maybe he will repair it. I showed another shop and a metallurgist : within seconds they said it was not properly heat treated. Loss of strength is causing the tip to split. So now I'm in November. I will be shipping this off to him within a few days. Honestly don't know what's going to happen , but my evidence shows he has others. He maybe laying low , idk. I just hope he does the right thing as I have promoted , recommended quite a few of these scoops to friends. I hope they don't have problems. I feel like a complete fool. Until this is resolved , I don't recommend purchasing the Titanium x3 scoop. The tip is wearing down and starting to split from normal wear that a scoop is designed for. Scoop still works , but NFL. See for yourselves !
e313adb327256bb7bf95541e3d478e24.jpg
cfc938a233cf5fbe9721a61f187c383b.jpg
6175e39391bc93987d74fb0e04ae4522.jpg
48a03611a6722c657bf06f361b8969ce.jpg
db7689d056f809d4aff2c0b0c0b2f0fd.jpg
b06cc3f36b8c594e40f29c44ef42d033.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think you need to speak with Surf Master (Earl) on why he doesn't have those problems. :laughing:

Felix

One of the reason's id never sell a detector , or scoop to Kob, he would sware if something happened it was a lemon, and it was my fault , funny that he inquired about my detector for sale like he was interested , i answered , he never got back , double checking wright now :shock::laughing: He already stated , Dont recommend buying A Titanium x3 , even before John has a chance to make thing's wright :roll: and before even shipping it to him -Your on a Roll Kob .

One of the reason's id never sell a detector , or scoop to Kob, he would sware if something happened it was a lemon, and it was my fault , funny that he inquired about my detector for sale like he was interested , i answered , he never got back , double checking wright now :shock::laughing: He already stated , Dont recommend buying A Titanium x3 , even before John has a chance to make thing's wright :roll: and before even shipping it to him -Your on a Roll Kob .
#1. I am still interested in it. I been busy with something's and detecting. Waiting for some extra $ to roll in. I may ( unfortunately) be buying my 3rd Nox as well. If you don't want to sell me your detector , that's ok. It sure looks clean. Almost like it's never been used !
#2. I gave you all the exact scenario on how it's gone down so far. So others can make an educated decision based on my experience. It's true , he hasn't had the opportunity to make it right yet because I haven't sent it in ( will within the next few days). But the fact was : he was doubting me and the pictures you have all seen. Then trashed me in a text that was meant for someone else.
How would you feel ? The tip was thin from the start and a small split is starting down the middle or seam. After 6 months ? Cmon. His SS are way better and I wanted 2 of those instead of replacing or repairing the titanium. But close to 2 months later on another post here , he doesn't have either. Want to explain that Surfy ? So I send mine in and then what ? Sit on it for a few more months ? Idk. He he does have the right to live up to his 10 year warranty. Which by the way , has anyone seen in writing ? I hope something good will come out of this , as 6 of these have been sold at my recommendation. But just like the Nox and other products come out , people should know what's up. That's all.

Kob reply

Just one question , why would anyone state , I don't recommend purchasing a Titanium X3 before they sent it back for repair , maybe you should have just bought a Stealth , or Stavr , before you bash A scoop maker before you have sent it back, it's under warranty , just a point , you don't know how long it will take for repair , don't assume 2 months , and the covid has been hard on all small business owners, if I was the business owner I would be mad at what you stated , cya

Just one question , why would anyone state , I don't recommend purchasing a Titanium X3 before they sent it back for repair , maybe you should have just bought a Stealth , or Stavr , before you bash A scoop maker before you have sent it back, it's under warranty , just a point , you don't know how long it will take for repair , don't assume 2 months , and the covid has been hard on all small business owners, if I was the business owner I would be mad at what you stated , cya
I hope the owner is upset , that's the point ! I know for a fact , based on his statement that I'm not the only one to have a titanium scoop failure. Maybe he will kick it into gear.

Did it ever occur to you Earl that I , the consumer is upset ? I spent $600 . A 10 year warranty. And in 6 months , this is what it looks like. Damn straight I wouldn't recommend anyone to go through this like I have. Not for $600. And if this happened to you , you would feel the same.... I use my scoops Earl. Oh btw....you didn't answer 1 of my questions...

Ouch...
I don't even have wear like that on the front edge on my ten year old Stavr...
Exactly Zee. From my understanding , this was not heat treated properly. According to a metallurgist , titanium is a totally different beast to work with. And the heat treatment after the scoop is made is critical. Everything is a big process apparently.

Common decency would say that you should give John a chance to make it right before you bash him and his company on the www. So far, he has not failed to live up to his obligation. That is all.

Common decency would say that you should give John a chance to make it right before you bash him and his company on the www. So far, he has not failed to live up to his obligation. That is all.

Common decency should not include bashing me behind my back. Coming from law enforcement no less... Apparently a few fail to realize what my post is about. The Nox has a 3 year warranty right ? Well , there are all sorts of issues with it. Flooding on a "waterproof" detector , coil ears , arm cuff , etc. But people are posting about that BEFORE they send it in. They are talking on a forum , making others aware. No difference here. You guys get it now ? I also stated I love his SS scoops. I wanted something lighter in weight. That is all.

Mkw

+1 Well said , i think he fought off a great white , and dented the tip on a tooth ,and that titanium scoop saved his life, however Kob is the type of guy that twist's the real story :laughing: than takes it out on the equipment manufacturer :dingding::nono:before he even send's it back :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::clap:

Sorry you’re experiencing scoop failure KOB. I hope John comes through for you. I get that it’s disappointing to have it screw up so soon.
As an owner of the titanium scoop I will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the tip. (Pun intended):D

Ive seen worse, including myself and was to told that they'd NEVER seen or heard of any failures and I must of abused it.! They ( TRex) gave me some bs options which I passed on and went with a better scoop. As for you KOB, if they don't get you a new one, just stop drill it and file off the V. I bought a Stealth before he sold his business. Remember that a warranty is only as good as the company's length of operation.

Attachments

• 20150707_091730.jpg
    20150707_091730.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 972
  • 20150707_094614.jpg
    20150707_094614.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 974
Ive seen worse, including myself and was to told that they'd NEVER seen or heard of any failures and I must of abused it.! They ( TRex) gave me some bs options which I passed on and went with a better scoop. As for you KOB, if they don't get you a new one, just stop drill it and file off the V. I bought a Stealth before he sold his business. Remember that a warranty is only as good as the company's length of operation.

Wow ! That is crazy Lowtide. Total metal/weld failure. Looks almost new. Was the guy you spoke on the phone named Earl by any chance ? I'm sending this in. Lip area is too thin for a file. It's just going to happen again. At the center /bend is a weak point.

I worked at a construction firm where a particular service the state required a 2 year guarantee. Most all companies complied , some offered 3 years. My boss told me to offer 5 years. Never heard of at the time. I knew something was up. Salesmen brought in alot of $ quickly. Within 2 months paychecks were bouncing and company vehicles were being repossessed. I left 1 month later. 3 months later they shut down. So I know what you're saying LT and it has crossed my mind.....btw , I guess your ok now ?

Kob

Never owned a T-Rex , issue's from the beginning , maybe ill give John a call to be on the lookout for a titanium scoop that was used for a car jack , and to check out your post's here , im sure he will take care of you bro., relax , happy hunting :thumbsup:

I’m with KOB on this, as a business owner he should not be publicly or privately bashing any of his customers. I would be furious, the damage looks like it is no fault of KOB to me, therefore why complain, just replace the thing. Customer service is the frontline of any decent business model IMO.

I’m with KOB on this, as a business owner he should not be publicly or privately bashing any of his customers. I would be furious, the damage looks like it is no fault of KOB to me, therefore why complain, just replace the thing. Customer service is the frontline of any decent business model IMO.
Thanks BRB. The big problem a few months ago was he didn't have any ( not even 1) comparable that he could replace it with. Not even SS. This was kind of shocking to me. But he did need it to look at ( because he couldn't believe the pics) and possibly do a repair. Idk. So I've still used it as it got a little more worse , then stopped using altogether. It's really got to hurt going into xmas not having product to sell let alone cover under warranty. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And that he and his family are safe from covid.

+1 I totally agree, The first comment he made about the "Heavy Hitters" would have ticked me off, you know right away he's trying to make you feel small
He's the expert and you don't know what your talking about, To be honest anybody dropping six beans on their sand scoop IS a Heavy Hitter. :yes:
Good luck going forward KOB, I hope they do the right thing.

I already wrote about my experience of personal and commercial production of titanium scoops. production in 2010-2011 (in 2011 it was discontinued due to low profitability and production complexity), there was a joint discussion with Number9

making a scoop from titanium with the correct heat treatment ... it's very difficult and expensive ... and not at all what John Volek does, who just stole ideas / conceptual solutions, prototypes, and even names ... :)
G1 clean titanium is erased at low cutting speeds similar to duralumin (aluminum alloys).
John's titanium scoop is priced a PRO titanium scoop or more ... but you get a Titanium Grade 1 scoop and no heat treatment.
ps: "Ti" makreting won over common sense ... :laughing:

Ruslan (aka Stavr )

I already wrote about my experience of personal and commercial production of titanium scoops. production in 2010-2011 (in 2011 it was discontinued due to low profitability and production complexity), there was a joint discussion with Number9

making a scoop from titanium with the correct heat treatment ... it's very difficult and expensive ... and not at all what John Volek does, who just stole ideas / conceptual solutions, prototypes, and even names ... :)
G1 clean titanium is erased at low cutting speeds similar to duralumin (aluminum alloys).
John's titanium scoop is priced a PRO titanium scoop or more ... but you get a Titanium Grade 1 scoop and no heat treatment.
ps: "Ti" makreting won over common sense ... :laughing:

Ruslan (aka Stavr )

Wow Ruslan ! This makes total sense now. I kinda thought in my mind I was 1 hair below scoop expert (another thrread). I've had so many over the years. I never saw your threads of the past regarding titanium. I thought John had told me he heat treats it during the building/welding process. My understanding is it's a special treatment/room AFTER it's made. And that it's very expensive. Thanks for your info Stavr. As I now know I'm not truly a scoop expert !

Back
Top Bottom