Minelab Vanquish 440 vs 540?

Metallian

Hey guys, haven’t posted in a long time. Been out of detecting for years but I’m getting interested again.

Been looking at this Vanquish 440 deal for 279 shipped where you get a 100 dollar pinpointer for free. For 90 more I could get a 540 with the same pinpointer. I do know the differences between the two machines but I was hoping for some advice on whether those extra features are worth the money. I don’t see myself detecting in the dark so the back light isn’t necessary. I could get a $10 adapter and get the same Bluetooth functionality on the 440 that the 540 has built in. The only thing I’m not sure about is the iron bias adjustability on the 540 versus the fixed “high” setting on the 440. Is this something I will really regret not having if I go with the 440?

There would be additional savings as well if I go with the 440 because it comes with the 10 inch coil, which I’m hearing is the better balanced coil compared to the 12” that comes with the 540. Having the 10 inch coil will prevent a future purchase of the 8 inch coil, which I would probably want to buy if I get the 12 inch coil on the 540

Opinions welcome. Thank you

Ended up going with the 440 because of a less EMI prone coil and a good deal I found. Can’t wait to receive it

Last edited:
Just noticed your post, sorry. The Vanquish 440 to me is the steal of the lineup especially if you already have a Bluetooth headphone/transmitter setup or 2.4 gHz setup. Personally, I don't care for the Bluetooth headphones that come with the top of the line Vanquish 540 or the Equinox 800. To my ears they are way too bass heavy with no way to adjust them.

The iron bias issue is only important if you plan to do a lot of hunting in thick iron trash. Otherwise, the Vanquish 440 does very well in normal modern trash with completely ignoring most crown bottle caps in jewelry and coin modes. The 10" coil does balance the Vanquish very well and will detect coin sized objects with outstanding target ID accuracy at or beyond 10" depending on your soil conditions. For a grab and go or beach detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat. Mine detects in moderate to mild dirt almost as well as my Equinox 800 in its basic mode. I so wish I could have had one of these 20 or 30 years ago as my first detector. It detects way above its price and way better than a lot of $600 or more detectors.........Enjoy.

Just noticed your post, sorry. The Vanquish 440 to me is the steal of the lineup especially if you already have a Bluetooth headphone/transmitter setup or 2.4 gHz setup. Personally, I don't care for the Bluetooth headphones that come with the top of the line Vanquish 540 or the Equinox 800. To my ears they are way too bass heavy with no way to adjust them.

The iron bias issue is only important if you plan to do a lot of hunting in thick iron trash. Otherwise, the Vanquish 440 does very well in normal modern trash with completely ignoring most crown bottle caps in jewelry and coin modes. The 10" coil does balance the Vanquish very well and will detect coin sized objects with outstanding target ID accuracy at or beyond 10" depending on your soil conditions. For a grab and go or beach detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat. Mine detects in moderate to mild dirt almost as well as my Equinox 800 in its basic mode. I so wish I could have had one of these 20 or 30 years ago as my first detector. It detects way above its price and way better than a lot of $600 or more detectors.........Enjoy.

Excellent, thank you. I just bought a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter on eBay for 7 bucks shipped that I hope will work with the 440. I have some apple AirPods that I like that have noise canceling, so hopefully that works. With the iron bias, after thinking about it some more I probably would always want it in “high” setting anyway since I would rather lose a few mask targets if it allows me to not dig as much trash. Worthy trade off for me. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries. Do you have to use the Minelab ones or can you get an energizer/Duracell setup?

Excellent, thank you. I just bought a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter on eBay for 7 bucks shipped that I hope will work with the 440. I have some apple AirPods that I like that have noise canceling, so hopefully that works. With the iron bias, after thinking about it some more I probably would always want it in “high” setting anyway since I would rather lose a few mask targets if it allows me to not dig as much trash. Worthy trade off for me. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries. Do you have to use the Minelab ones or can you get an energizer/Duracell setup?

You can use other rechargeable batteries. I am using Fujitsu that are 2450 mAh. Try to find the highest rated ones you can. I get a whole day of hunting which is all I need. I always take an extra set with me either way.

You will like the Vanquish. It’s very friendly and very capable. Turn it on and you’re off and hunting. Good luck!

X2..vanquish 440 is just a coin and jewlery vacuum. I’m surprised I don’t see more post of people using them

I think a lot of people jumped on the simplex train, one of the best entry detectors on the market now.

The Vanquish is far better than the Simplex, but if you want water proof go simplex .

The Vanquish is far better than the Simplex, but if you want water proof go simplex .

I agree. I have a Vanquish 540 coming in 2 days. Can't wait.
Build a cool cheat sheet for the 540.
See attached picture. Can'y attach doc it a bit too large that is allowed here.

Hope you like it.

Attachments

• 540_CheatSheet.jpg
    540_CheatSheet.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 6,697
MineLab Vanquish 440

X2..vanquish 440 is just a coin and jewlery vacuum. I’m surprised I don’t see more post of people using them

I have the 440 and I love it. I have been hitting areas that have been heavily detected and I am finding coins and jewelry. It is a great machine. I have been using Energizer rechargeable Alkaline batteries. I recharge them after each time I detect. I usually only detect about two or three hours at a time and the batteries have not been a problem. I would recommend it.

Thread necro so I'll jump in having just bought the 540 pro pack. Regarding the coils, surprisingly there isn't much difference in depth between the V12 and V8 that come with it. For trashy areas, the V8 is super lightweight and picks out targets really well. I'd like to eventually get the V10 but the V12 is a nice large coil for beaches and field work.

Hey guys, haven’t posted in a long time. Been out of detecting for years but I’m getting interested again.

Been looking at this Vanquish 440 deal for 279 shipped where you get a 100 dollar pinpointer for free. For 90 more I could get a 540 with the same pinpointer. I do know the differences between the two machines but I was hoping for some advice on whether those extra features are worth the money. I don’t see myself detecting in the dark so the back light isn’t necessary. I could get a $10 adapter and get the same Bluetooth functionality on the 440 that the 540 has built in. The only thing I’m not sure about is the iron bias adjustability on the 540 versus the fixed “high” setting on the 440. Is this something I will really regret not having if I go with the 440?

There would be additional savings as well if I go with the 440 because it comes with the 10 inch coil, which I’m hearing is the better balanced coil compared to the 12” that comes with the 540. Having the 10 inch coil will prevent a future purchase of the 8 inch coil, which I would probably want to buy if I get the 12 inch coil on the 540

Opinions welcome. Thank you

I would go with the 540 pro-pack based on the fact I own one, and I find that having both coils makes the detector very versatile when you hunt junk filled parks (8") and more wide open sports fields (12") for increased depth,and coverage.
my soil is "mildly mineralized" so I can rely on the detector's internal ground balancing to balance the soil.the detector IS making a difference in "cooked" parks, schools and other "burnt" public places I find my share

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Minelab Vanquish 440 with RNB Battery

Has anyone purchased the RNB Rechargeable Battery for their Vanquish? I have and it last a lot longer than other batteries. I have noticed though, that the battery indicator on my Vanquish never goes down, it always indicate full charge with the RNB battery installed. It indicated normal with regular or energizer rechargeable batteries. It is just the RNB Rechargeable battery pack that doesn't indicate correctly.

Has anyone purchased the RNB Rechargeable Battery for their Vanquish? I have and it last a lot longer than other batteries. I have noticed though, that the battery indicator on my Vanquish never goes down, it always indicate full charge with the RNB battery installed. It indicated normal with regular or energizer rechargeable batteries. It is just the RNB Rechargeable battery pack that doesn't indicate correctly.

It's possible that the RNB battery pack is regulated (or semi-regulated) to give a constant (or near-constant) voltage until it's almost depleted.

Up to 40 hours on one charge

Some folks are getting up to 40 hours off of one charge on the RnB battery for the Vanquish with headphones or earbuds.
Have you used your detector for 40 hours without charging?
That may be what you are experiencing.

just ordered the Vanquish 440.

I am doing lake beach hunting with my adult son. I have had my 800 since Mar 2018 so I am fixed. Rather than borrow my other son's Ace 250, I decided to buy the Vanquish 440. It will be perfect for a newbie detectorist and cheaper than the 540. I had a 540 and sold it because at the time my son was too busy to share the hobby. I had a simplex and it is a fine machine. But the VDI numbers are different than the 800. they are the same with the Vanquish. Thank you Minelab for keeping things simple for us 800 users who will be teaching someone how to use the Vanquish.

I am doing lake beach hunting with my adult son. I have had my 800 since Mar 2018 so I am fixed. Rather than borrow my other son's Ace 250, I decided to buy the Vanquish 440. It will be perfect for a newbie detectorist and cheaper than the 540. I had a 540 and sold it because at the time my son was too busy to share the hobby. I had a simplex and it is a fine machine. But the VDI numbers are different than the 800. they are the same with the Vanquish. Thank you Minelab for keeping things simple for us 800 users who will be teaching someone how to use the Vanquish.

I wanted a back-up machine for my 600 and a loaner for friends and picked up a 540 this spring. I am quite impressed with it. Also, after seeing all the glowing recommendations for the Simplex I picked one up for my son-in-law. I could never use it......hate the nails on a chalkboard tones.

Steve

I wanted a back-up machine for my 600 and a loaner for friends and picked up a 540 this spring. I am quite impressed with it. Also, after seeing all the glowing recommendations for the Simplex I picked one up for my son-in-law. I could never use it......hate the nails on a chalkboard tones.

Steve

Same with me on my 800 and the simplex. could not get used to the tones and the VDI numbers. Too different from the 800. Vanquish is the way to go. 440 or 540. Not dissing the simplex, I am just too used to the 800 and don't want to learn new tones and vdi numbers.

Back
Top Bottom