Detecting sand bars?

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
What's the verdict on hunting sandbars?
I tend to only target long used high traffic swim areas with a clay/shell/rock bottom, however I've heard a lot of stories about one spot in a river here where lots of people ski/wake board and it's got a sand bar below it with water grass. it's possible goodies have been trapped, but I'm thinking they might sink into the sand?

Would you hit it?

I have had some production at sand bars. They tend to see a lot of action so I consider them a good spot - especially when everything else seems barren.

We would camp, party and fish off them so I'd say yes hunt them.

This would be modern/recent drops.

To me, when I think of "sand bars", I think of fresh-incoming sand, that created these "bars". Versus erosion, which washes them away. So I've say they'd only be good for recent losses, and would poo-poo them :(

Location and conditions,.. anything is possible. Top..front...back....In the water here,... I find they can be or not be..You just have to find the magic spot. I've found areas out deep where the hard pan sets, shells...clay/sand mix but firm...and nothing...in where the sand bar starts targets on the front..gold n coins.very little trash.

What's the verdict on hunting sandbars?
I tend to only target long used high traffic swim areas with a clay/shell/rock bottom, however I've heard a lot of stories about one spot in a river here where lots of people ski/wake board and it's got a sand bar below it with water grass. it's possible goodies have been trapped, but I'm thinking they might sink into the sand?

Would you hit it?

I found my biggest and heaviest platinum ring on a sandbar but I general don't hunt them they mainly hold light trash like Felix pennies and beaver tails...

Hunt around the sandbar is a better option.

Sounds like a few good excuses for me to buy that canoe and give it a go.
Main issue is getting out to it, deep water between it and the river edge, but that also keeps a lot of the riff raff from detecting it as well.

Sounds like a few good excuses for me to buy that canoe and give it a go.
Main issue is getting out to it, deep water between it and the river edge, but that also keeps a lot of the riff raff from detecting it as well.
just use the body board in order to swim to the braid and back ... + it is convenient to sort out a large fraction from the scoop ... : D

Here where I live I,m near the last dam on the AR river and the river below the dam can change dramatically from year to year or sometimes a shorter period.What was once river is now land or sandbar and vice versa.There has always been a lot of doings on the lower river and I plan on detecting it when I get my detector,items that once might have been buried under much sand might now be closer to the surface.It,s a fascinating environment,I have fished and hunted there for 50 years and it always changes.Anyway the hunt is what holds my attention,any finds are lagnaippe.I don,t insist anyone agree with me.

Here in southwest Michigan...

There is a chain of lakes called Sister Lakes.

One has a very shallow area far from shore where pontoon boats raft up and party.

Someone told me it yielded several rings when last detected.

Back
Top Bottom