I Hit for the Cycle (Silver) but my Friend....

Compass

Forum Supporter
...hits a big silver chain in his first beach hunt! In baseball a batter has hit for the cycle when they get a single, double, triple and home-run all in one game. I sort of hit for the cycle on a recent hunt by finding an earring, ring, bracelet and neck chain (all sterling silver).
However, on the previous day I took a friend along for his first real beach hunt and set him up with my old Whites Pro PI. That day I found 5 rings, all junk save one small silver but my friend scooped out a 26 gram, badly tarnished, sterling silver chain which I took home to clean for him. He hasn't seen it yet but I think he will be pleasantly surprised.
picture.php

My friend's chain is the one on the outer perimeter. My "cycle" finds are inside of it. As much as I would have loved to have found that big silver I was honestly thrilled for him and think that he may now be hooked on the hobby.
GL&HH!

"Cycle". I will remember that one, I like it. Congrats! And yep, your friends chain turned out really nice. I bet he is hooked.

"Cycle". I will remember that one, I like it. Congrats! And yep, your friends chain turned out really nice. I bet he is hooked.
Thanks Muskrat, I'm sure that there are some that have even done the gold "cycle". I came close in August- just needed the earring!
picture.php

Yes, I am really happy for my friend. He has asked to go detecting me a few times but I waited for more promising conditions. As it was there weren't really a lot of targets but it only takes one good one. :yes:

Whilst it's not jewelry, here in Australia when we get one of each of the following pre-decimal coins in one hunt .. Half Penny, Penny, Threepence, Sixpence, shilling and a Florin we refer to them as a "Full House"

Attachments

• au60set-1.jpg
    au60set-1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 523
Whilst it's not jewelry, here in Australia when we get one of each of the following pre-decimal coins in one hunt .. Half Penny, Penny, Threepence, Sixpence, shilling and a Florin we refer to them as a "Full House"
Seems very difficult to do. The US equivalent might be wheat penny, nickel, and silver dime, quarter and half. I guess I could also throw a silver dollar into that mix but I think that that would make it exceeding hard to accomplish.

Compass, good to see some CA beach action. Question for you : What is the weight of the 2 different chains in that first pix ? Especially the one @ the inner circle. Because for machines that simply can't see tinsel-thin chains, I'm curious what the net weight of such-type chains is, when compared to the weight of a ring. Thanx !

Compass, good to see some CA beach action. Question for you : What is the weight of the 2 different chains in that first pix ? Especially the one @ the inner circle. Because for machines that simply can't see tinsel-thin chains, I'm curious what the net weight of such-type chains is, when compared to the weight of a ring. Thanx !
Sure Tom:
Big chain- 26.7 grams
Med/small chain- 8.1 grams
Bracelet- 7.7 grams
Ring- 4.4 grams
Earring- .5 grams
I love that chains most always seem to be heavier than they look. :yes:

I love that chains most always seem to be heavier than they look. :yes:

Then I guess those aren't "tinsel thin" , and perhaps a standard machine could have gotten those ? Or do you think they require a pulse machine to have found ?

Nice work, George.....it sounds like another has been hooked......silver is welcome anytime in my scoop. Question: All the rings you found were lighter than gold rings- do you think that had to do with the conditions, or did you sense gold was near?
-Jerry

Then I guess those aren't "tinsel thin" , and perhaps a standard machine could have gotten those ? Or do you think they require a pulse machine to have found ?
I'll have to do some bench testing but I think just about any decent detector would have been able to find the big chain. The smaller chain would be more challenging. I know that my old pulse detectors had trouble "seeing" gold chains that the Equinox and TDI BH will find.

Nice work, George.....it sounds like another has been hooked......silver is welcome anytime in my scoop. Question: All the rings you found were lighter than gold rings- do you think that had to do with the conditions, or did you sense gold was near?
-Jerry
Thanks Jerry, That is a good question. I was mostly finding lightweight targets like pull tabs, aluminum foil, bottle caps, zinc pennies, etc. But then an occasional lead fishing weight or piece of silver jewelry would show up so I was hopeful even though I'd say that conditions for finding gold were not optimal.

Nice hunts for both of you!
Thank you Zee, Besides the finds these were nice hunts for a number of reasons:
- Beautiful day to be on the beach. Sunny and warm. Hunted barefoot.
- Found great, free parking close to where I wanted to hunt on both days.
- Not too crowded for such good weather.
- Only saw 1 other guy with a detector all day and he was swinging his detector coil absurdly high above the sand. :wow:

Back
Top Bottom