Sometimes just do it.

metaladdict

Elite Member
Back in 2011 I called a Lake Tahoe town authority to ask for rules regarding detecting on beaches but was told "Oh no, No detecting allowed".

So I thought this can't be true?
When I was up there in 2012 at Pope beach I asked the lady in the parking pay booth and she said"Yeah go ahead my mother detects this beach on and off"
So I did and found a small gold ring too.

I think it's best to just detect some places without asking town authorities.:yes:

Before I knew better I detected Ocean beach in San Fran which is a National park and Rodeo beach (the same) I didn't encounter a ranger either one.
I was asked to leave at South Stinson beach though, the rangers there make a b line to you!

I’ve found out from the past. If you call places and ask you have no idea who is answering and if they don’t know the answer they will most likely say no because they don’t want to get in trouble. I think national parks no.
State parks I'd check their web site. Most should have something.
In Michigan state parks their site says which ones are aloud and even has maps of the park and where you can detect.
Local parks I look for signs. No signs I detect but am very careful not to leave a mess. Just use common sense and be polite and if told to leave just leave.
Also a manicured lawn id stay away. Carrying a big shouter at times can guarantee you leaving. So use common sense.
The stupid ones mess it up for the rest of us.
Doug

Back in 2011 I called a Lake Tahoe town authority to ask for rules regarding detecting on beaches but was told "Oh no, No detecting allowed".

So I thought this can't be true?
When I was up there in 2012 at Pope beach I asked the lady in the parking pay booth and she said"Yeah go ahead my mother detects this beach on and off"
So I did and found a small gold ring too.....

I love it :) This is proof positive that : 1) It depends on who you ask. 2) It depends on how you phrase the question, and 3) Is therefore utterly arbitrary :roll:

... Stinson beach though, the rangers there make a b line to you!

And do you know why they "make a b line to you" ? Because so many past md'rs (bless their little hearts) have made it their mission to inquire "can I MD ?". And then once the safe "no" answer is passed back down from HQ, then all the rank-and-file rangers will start booting other md'rs . That they'd have never noticed those md'rs before.

And ironically, it's posts like this, that being this downward spiral. Someone in the Stinson area is sure to read this (d/t the magic of key-word searches). And then .... presto ... fire off an inquiry asking "Can I ?"

Back
Top Bottom