Why???

melbajoe

Forum Supporter
why would anyone make a copy of a Cartier love ring using real diamonds and made out of gold(I'm 95% sure)..why not get the real thing. This ring weighs at 6.43gm, has no writing on the inside, isn't magnetic at all. Tried all the acids on it and nothing dissolved, acids are 10,14,18,22k left to right, even plat bottom left. I tried the water displacement specific gravity test but was inconclusive-numbers all over. I read that anything with holes or stones don't work well due to either trapped air or the density and weight of the stones throw it off. Went to a coin shop that buys gold-"seems like gold to me" whaaat-thanks for nothing. I guess I have to find some where with one of those electronic gizmos. kind of aggravating but I do feel it's gold but why not make it easy and stamp it lol. thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_0056 (2).jpg
    IMG_0056 (2).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 713
  • IMG_0057 (2).jpg
    IMG_0057 (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_0054 (2).jpg
    IMG_0054 (2).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 668
It could be stainless... stainless doesn't not react to the testing acids

I would have cut that baby loose at the pawn shop...200 bucks..

You better high tail it back to that pawn shop. Bring your other non stamped stainless rings as well. Sell , sell , sell !!! Make sure it's to the same guy. You will only be able to do this once ! ( think of how many times they have ripped people off ). Time to get some $$$ back....

It’s too heavy for stainless, I’ve hung it by a string and brought it to almost touching a strong magnet and it doesn’t move- I’ve done this with marked SS and there is at least some movement. I know it’s not Cartier but ???. Does tunsten carbide react to the acid ?

Gold is so soft compared to the Titanium / other hard metals. Can you tell a diff when you rub it on the stone.

Gold is so soft compared to the Titanium / other hard metals. Can you tell a diff when you rub it on the stone.

^^^×2. Another trick shops do is rub the ring on a file. Gold will come off easily with little pressure. SS , titanium you will have to apply hard pressure if it comes off on the file at all.

It’s too heavy for stainless, I’ve hung it by a string and brought it to almost touching a strong magnet and it doesn’t move- I’ve done this with marked SS and there is at least some movement. I know it’s not Cartier but ???. Does tunsten carbide react to the acid ?

304 and 316 stainless is not magnetic... I still think its Stainless..

As mentioned gold is soft, I can tell by scratching on the stone if it is gold or not at least 90% of the time. Most times I can tell by looking at it, I’ve almost been fooled, until I looked closer. Sometimes we just want to believe.:D

why would anyone make a copy of a Cartier love ring using real diamonds and made out of gold(I'm 95% sure)..why not get the real thing.
Because it would be the same look at at least 1/3 the cost. Why would you pay 3-5X more for an engraved name on the inside? I have a fake yellow gold copy but its's no where as nicely detailed on the screws as yours. If I can find it later I'll post a pic.

SS that size can be heavy and I ca normally tell by how hard it scratches to. I highly doubt that’s 22k as well. Take it to a jeweler

My sympathies! I dug, what I believed to be,a legit Hermès 18kt gold ring on the beach this weekend. It’s stamped and everything. Mine weighs about 4.5 grams and rang up as a 9 on my Equinox. It is not magnetic at all.
a021e27ac3b1f4ae0c4b7b69ca4007f3.jpg

8f05926322f840dee9691176b23ef04c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cartier is one of the most copied jewelry. My grandfather worked in the NY store back in the early 1900s as a jewelry artist. I visited the store in the mid 1990s with a "Cartier" ring and was told it was a copy and they had no interest in pursuing where I found it. I saw one posting of a found bracelet (a $7,000 item) but it was a fake. I identified it as such because of missing features, the hinge was not a Cartier design and markings that were not Cartier's. A similar bracelet on eBay sells for less than $300 in gold and less than $10 in plated stainless steel.

To answer your question WHY? GREED or to impress the unknowing.

I would guess on the SS. The diamonds that size may go for $5 EACH in manufacturing quantities.

I had a ring that i had a coin shop scan with one of those gizmos and he said it was platinum. Sent it in to the refiner and they sent it back to me stating it was chromium.

I had a ring that i had a coin shop scan with one of those gizmos and he said it was platinum. Sent it in to the refiner and they sent it back to me stating it was chromium.
^^ ok ! I will repeat myself. Gather all your white colored rings and high tail it back to that coin shop ! Sell , sell , sell 🤣

why would anyone make a copy of a Cartier love ring using real diamonds and made out of gold(I'm 95% sure)..why not get the real thing. This ring weighs at 6.43gm, has no writing on the inside, isn't magnetic at all. Tried all the acids on it and nothing dissolved, acids are 10,14,18,22k left to right, even plat bottom left. I tried the water displacement specific gravity test but was inconclusive-numbers all over. I read that anything with holes or stones don't work well due to either trapped air or the density and weight of the stones throw it off. Went to a coin shop that buys gold-"seems like gold to me" whaaat-thanks for nothing. I guess I have to find some where with one of those electronic gizmos. kind of aggravating but I do feel it's gold but why not make it easy and stamp it lol. thanks for looking

I found one to. diamonds tested fake marked 21k. acid test said 14k. going to have a jewler test it.

Just do a specific gravity test in water and end all doubt. I have used it many times and find it to be very accurate when I'm unsure from acid testing. There are Youtube videos to easily explain how its done. I even have an app on my phone to just plug in the values and it indicates karat of gold or not.

Back
Top Bottom