Chances of finding a Platinum stud earring

cebraun

Hello all,

I lost an earring this spring while sledding with my family. Insurance didn't cover it so I am researching if a metal detector is in my future.

How hard is platinum to find, especially since it's a stud earring?
Which detectors are best at finding this type of metal?
etc... etc...

Thanks!
Noobie

Yeah, higher frequency detectors like an AT Pro or Gold Bug or X-Terra 705 Gold work well in your situation......oops, forgot about my MXT!!!

Dusty

While I've never hunted for platinum, we did find a diamond white gold stud earring. WE ended up having to use a four inch coil and scrub the ground. It wouldn't even read with a standard coil. If you have a mate on one similar to it, check and see how it reads before you spent hours searching for something that won't even read on what you are using.

Yes, I have the other earring. There is a rather good brick & mortar store in Sacramento, so I'm hoping I can test drive for my targeted goal.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

Please keep it coming.

Tesoro Silver uMAx

Howdy, the Tesoro Silver uMax I have been using has also found it's share of small earrings. Hunting in All Metal mode has done the trick for me in that respect. Also, not all that expensive of a machine. Good luck.

If you're buying the detector only for that reason you'd be much better off throwing someone with experience $100 for a few hours. The combination of what you're looking for and lack of experience will not give you the best shot at getting it back, compared to someone who has done this for years. Another factor is going to be the amount of trash there because the detector will have to be run in a way that almost every little piece of metal sounds off... and the nicest looking property on the surface can be trashy like you wouldn't believe below.

I found a platinum stud earing for someone on a volley ball court at the beach with a White's coinmaster, took about 45 mins of gridding the court over and over again but i found it, also it was a fresh drop..Good luck, hope you find it!

I think if that is the only reason to get a metal detector between the price of the detector and time invested will out weigh even if you found it.

Now if it has some kind of special sentimental value id be balls to the wall trying to find it.

If its just something you bought or got as a gift i think you'd be better off just letting it go.

I mean really look at it from a different perspective. If after purchasing the detector if you don't find it you'll have wasted even more money and time. Then what do you plan on doing with the detector do you plan on getting into the hobby? Or are you going to store the detector in storage in till battery acids leaks in the machine and totals it.

The size of the area you plan on searching makes a big difference.

Hard. It is less an issue of platinum vs. other metal than of size and how large of an area you are searching and how much other metal is in the ground. Add experience in the mix and you are staring at a big challenge. Try recruiting someone with experience to help. I'm a member of the lost my stuff group and we love that kind of challenge. Experience levels and coverage (your area) varies widely, but we recover stuff for free. There may be other options in your area too.

Good luck.

Hello all,

I lost an earring this spring while sledding with my family. Insurance didn't cover it so I am researching if a metal detector is in my future.

How hard is platinum to find, especially since it's a stud earring?
Which detectors are best at finding this type of metal?
etc... etc...

Thanks!
Noobie

Back
Top Bottom