MD'ng For Hire?

MentalUnrest

Am on my 3rd week of detecting and really enjoying it. Gives me lots of time to think when I am sweeping and had a thought today. Why not put an ad out, like on Craigslist, as it is free, to help locate lost items for people. Of course there would be some type of fee or reward.

I didn't buy the detector for a money making business, but if the opportunity is there to make money while doing something I really enjoy, then why not? No idea on how to set the pricing of something like that, but I think it will be an easy thing to come up with.

Also - This would be a great "In" to search on peoples property!" I'm seeing many bonus offshoots from this idea......

Hey there's nothing wrong with that.
I've thought about posting an ad saying something like I will look for lost items such as rings, necklaces or small conductive items with a metal detector in exchange for permission to metal detect any old sites where there use to be gatherings or I will search the area you choose for a fee based on the size.

Like I said I haven't done anything like that yet but I am thinking about it.
Hey I rather do some trading on a new hunting spot but if I can't get that if I'm gonna burn my gas and my time to go look like you said should get something out of it.

My Jersey Shore Craigslist has a MD for hire, I see the posting all the time. You can look for the lost item but everything else you find you keep. Or you can charge a % of the value of the item, in any event, Good Luck and keep us posted, I thought of doing that myself

This has been discussed here and tried many times with varying degrees of success. No one is making a living doing this and few have any responses at all. Always worth a try though, so go for it. Let us know how you make out. RickO

I've seen want ads (people asking for a MD'er) to find a ring or other lost item....there is a need.
A few years ago I needed someone to locate a well on a piece of property I bought. The town hall (which had no record of my well) recommended a person to do this.
He didn't have 'lil coin shooter'... it was pro gear, not like any MD'er would use, and the other piece in his truck was on wheels, he would pull around and gave an Xray of the ground.
He did work for Dig Safe, construction co, or home owner/investor like myself.
Lord knows what he's doing in this economy!

I have done a similar venture with salvage diving.
The hard part is getting the customer to understand an up front minimum fee.

With MDing, the overhead and degree of difficulty is much lower than salvage diving (boat, surface dive partner, gear, + time to get there).

But take it from my experience...get as much as you can up front, in your hand for a determined amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom