• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thoughts on lost gold ring???

metalwrkr

I recently found a heavy, high karat gold ring here in western Washington. As you can see it has the initials ADM on it and there are different initials and a year engraved on the inside. It also has some additional engraving on the inside that would serve for the owner to identify it to me. While not typical of graduation rings, that is what I first thought it was. There is only one high school that came up on the internet and I emailed the Alumni President to see if we could find someone with the inside initials and the proper year in their records. No dice. I believe this ring commemorates some type of event otherwise why the separate initials inside? Can anyone offer some insight on what ADM stands for or why it has separate initials inside? If it is just the owners initials outside, I am pretty well sunk in trying to return it. I would hate to have to sell it for melt!! Thanks for any help.......Russ K.
Sure was cool to see that buttery yellow emerge from the dirt!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0813 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0813 (800x600).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 911
I don't have a clue...

My only input is...

Oh well, you tried, I guess you just have to keep it..:roll:

<*)))>{

good ideas, all three!

I will pursue this for one more week (probably just enough time for gold to drop some more in price). Then off to the scrap yard.

If I found it, I too would do some research.
I would then post it on Craigslist, being very vague, and requiring specifics.
I might have my goldsmith re-work the initials, if it were my size.
If not, I would put it up for sale here on the forum, never melt:no::no:

Unless I really needed the money, I'd hang on to it, until I knew more about it. Maybe be worth a whole lot more to somebody, than melt value. Rings are symbols, representing many different things. The design screams that it represents something, not just an ornament. Maybe an achievement, like graduating or promotion. Could be a membership ring for some sort of club, group, or team.

There will always be a melt value, and that is always going to rise and fall, but you found it, so it's pure profit anytime. An item that means something to another, is usually going to bring the minimal of melt value to recover, otherwise it wasn't all that important. I think there is some significance to the ADM prominently displayed, it's uncommon. Metal detecting is an adventure for me, figuring out what I found, is part of the journey.

personally I wouldn't try too hard returning it.....you tried, now it's yours. What's melt value??

I live in western Washington as well and can't think of any school or organization that has those initials.
I just wish I had those initials right now.:D
You tried, keep it.

Melt value is right at $200. Not a huge amount. It would certainly be worth more to me to see the owner get it back, but only negative results so far. Another post in "Lost and Found" says he held a ring for six or seven years before finally finding the owner. I may just hold the ring and keep the file open like he did. We will see....

My name is Adam Daniel Mansfield. I am so glad you found my ring.

To help verify that it is indeed mine. I will also give you the other initials and date...

Uh... ooohh... oops I'm having a senior moment here. I can't exactly recall the other letters, but I do know they are something between "A" and "Z".
The year I do remember well though, it is "19 mumble... mumble... mumble..."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:laughing:

It IS a doozy of a ring though... nice find!

My name is Adam Daniel Mansfield. I am so glad you found my ring.

To help verify that it is indeed mine. I will also give you the other initials and date...

Uh... ooohh... oops I'm having a senior moment here. I can't exactly recall the other letters, but I do know they are something between "A" and "Z".
The year I do remember well though, it is "19 mumble... mumble... mumble..."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself:laughing:

It IS a doozy of a ring though... nice find!

ok, that was funny. i caught myself laughing out loud at that reply. you all crack me up. :D

on a side note.....sometimes the initials you see are not in the order you expect. I once received a nice money clip engraved with my initials. I would have expected RLH, but it was actually engraved RHL. Perhaps you were researching the wrong name order?

If I found it, I too would do some research.
I would then post it on Craigslist, being very vague, and requiring specifics.
I might have my goldsmith re-work the initials, if it were my size.
If not, I would put it up for sale here on the forum, never melt:no::no:

Posting on craigslist will get you 100 emails all randomly trying to guess what it looks like...

on a side note.....sometimes the initials you see are not in the order you expect. I once received a nice money clip engraved with my initials. I would have expected RLH, but it was actually engraved RHL. Perhaps you were researching the wrong name order?

I agree. It looks a little like the center character is larger. In monograms, the larger letter (center) is the surname. When they are the same size, them it's first, middle, and surname as you might normally expect.

Nice find, and HH!

Back
Top Bottom