Answering Craigslist lost ads

VBDave...Valient Knight of MD'ing!

Now THAT....is a beautiful story Dave. Very well done; and the perfect way to conduct yourself in such a beautiful setting. A very valient way to do things, and withsuch a better reward than money. Thanks very much for sharing :)

I answered one last spring. Lady lost a family heirloom engagement ring while gardening. She didn't state in the ad which local city she was in. When I called her, she was very pleasant, sounded young and after a brief chat, it was decided that my wife and I would come out the next day. Then she told me she lived on Main Street in the historic section of Smithfield! Said I could keep anything else I might find! I was stoked and couldn't wait.

Next day my bride and I loaded up the motorcycle with 2 machines (lady said she had a couple kids so I figured I'd "short shaft" one of my land machines and let them help.) We arrived after a scenic 45 minute ride to a huge restored Victorian home in the middle of town, part of which was turned into a gift shop.

Turns out the lady's husband was a very talented chef working at Brutti's Restaurant in Portsmouth. He made all of us a fantastic lunch while I and the lady's 5 year old daughter hunted the unbeleiveably beautiful yard.

About 10 minutes into it, I found the ring. I discretely dropped it in my pocket without saying a word and continued hunting. About 2 minutes later, I dropped the ring in some mulch close to where my "shadow" was hunting. About 2 minutes after that, the little girl let out a shreik, dropped the machine and ran to her Mom with the ring in her hand, dragging my machine by the headphones that had slipped around her little neck! Mom started crying, daughter was screaming and laughing, Dad came out with lunch, and my wife and I spent the rest of the afternoon under the trees in this beautiful landscape with our new friends.

Did I find anything else? A little clad was about it. The yard only had about 4 inches of topsoil, then several inches of gravel, as if it had at one time been mostly driveway. But the day was one we won't forget for awhile. We ride through Smithfield a couple times a year and have stopped to say hello every time. I love CraigsList.

Letting the girl "find" the ring and bringing it to her Mom would have topped anything I found in the yard. Good story and great thinking on your part, you made good friends and a little girl's day really special. Thanks for the story!

Good idea

Thanks for the idea.I never thought of advertising my services to help find lost jewlery. I put an add in Craigslist informing people of this service.I just asked for a minimal fee depending on how far I have to travel. But,if I was heading to the beach anyway I probaby won't charge them more than the cost of an icetea and maybe a hotdog. I can use all the practice I can get anyway. I advertised in Orlando,FL Craiglist.
Maybe if I start finding some more valuable items then I can change my handle.

Using Craigslist for lost & found

My Brother-in-Law (Jim) & I check Craigslist almost every day for "Lost" items.

Also, when we find something valuable, we post it in the "Found" items. recently Jim was able to return a whit gold wedding ring he found at the beach.

We never ask for a reward, and don't accept own if offered. The real reward is making people happy by returning their lost items.

It doesn't hurt the PR of our hobby either.

Bob

I answered one last spring. Lady lost a family heirloom engagement ring while gardening. She didn't state in the ad which local city she was in. When I called her, she was very pleasant, sounded young and after a brief chat, it was decided that my wife and I would come out the next day. Then she told me she lived on Main Street in the historic section of Smithfield! Said I could keep anything else I might find! I was stoked and couldn't wait.

Next day my bride and I loaded up the motorcycle with 2 machines (lady said she had a couple kids so I figured I'd "short shaft" one of my land machines and let them help.) We arrived after a scenic 45 minute ride to a huge restored Victorian home in the middle of town, part of which was turned into a gift shop.

Turns out the lady's husband was a very talented chef working at Brutti's Restaurant in Portsmouth. He made all of us a fantastic lunch while I and the lady's 5 year old daughter hunted the unbeleiveably beautiful yard.

About 10 minutes into it, I found the ring. I discretely dropped it in my pocket without saying a word and continued hunting. About 2 minutes later, I dropped the ring in some mulch close to where my "shadow" was hunting. About 2 minutes after that, the little girl let out a shreik, dropped the machine and ran to her Mom with the ring in her hand, dragging my machine by the headphones that had slipped around her little neck! Mom started crying, daughter was screaming and laughing, Dad came out with lunch, and my wife and I spent the rest of the afternoon under the trees in this beautiful landscape with our new friends.

Did I find anything else? A little clad was about it. The yard only had about 4 inches of topsoil, then several inches of gravel, as if it had at one time been mostly driveway. But the day was one we won't forget for awhile. We ride through Smithfield a couple times a year and have stopped to say hello every time. I love CraigsList.

That is a great story, thanks for sharing. Very cool letting the daughter find it.

When I placed an ad for something I recently lost, I noticed someone lost a wedding band and offered to help find it. Never heard back...

emdees

P.S. VBDave, your story deserves its own thread!

Back
Top Bottom