What to charge???

This is unfair to whomever picks last, Say there are 20 items. In the first round, the first guy gets the best item, the second guy gets second best.

In the next round, the first guy gets the best item, the second guy gets second best. And it's the same until the items are gone.

Better that you decide in advance which of you will divide all the finds into two stacks. Then the other guy gets to pick his stack. It's like the story about mom making one kid cut the pie in half, and the other kid gets to pick his half. Keeps the divider honest!

And if the finds are a gold ring and 20 coins, instead of one guy getting the ring and ten coins and the other guy just getting 10 coins, one stack would be the ring, and the other stack the 20 coins. Not 50-50, but better than alternate choices.

(Or, you could agree in advance to sell any valuable finds and splitting what you get,

OR you each bid on the valuable item and the winner pays his bid to the loser.)

What if the ring was really his, or a family member, lost and forgotten, or even sort of the reason he want you to search? Would he value the ring as something more than melt value? Lots of coins may have a greater value, after you've gotten all the crud off, and see the mint mark, date, or production error. Fresh out of the ground, you might have trouble identifying just what you are holding, other than a coin, a penny, maybe a dime.

$8/hr is basically minimum wage, doesn't sound too bad, compared to the value of the junk I've been digging these past two months, little over $2 worth of coin. I'd jump on it, besides he might let you have something you really like, if he's happy with you work performance. I'm never expected to get rich, or find awesome things, just a little thrill, when finding something of value, even just a copper penny.

What if the ring was really his, or a family member, lost and forgotten, or even sort of the reason he want you to search?

You're right, that's a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

I was just talking about incidental finds you make when you are looking for property markers.

Anyone think that the owner might know of something buried that's why he wants all finds? It's a possibility is all I am saying. Watch your back unless you know him well. A bunch of gold or silver coins could have unexpected reactions. You could become a trespasser real quick. You never know just be safe.

I agree with BAD. The way the post was written, it sounds like the farmer is not looking for a property marker, but something specific. Is the value for coins face value or percieved value? I don't really see sentimental value as part of the equasion here either.

Sounds like the farmer is willing to pay you for finding a marker, which will cost him $20ish but won't "remember" the general location of said marker. So you may end up cleaning this yard after a few hours. You may get lucky and find whatever it is that he is really looking for.

Research. Go to the Clerk of Courts on your own and see where the general location is supposed to be for this property. I know for my county it is just a big book sitting inside the door, for anyone to view.

I don't know as I'd take the farmers' word for it. If he wants ALL your finds, it doesn't sound like he's being straight forward with you. My two pennies.

The individual would have to pay me up front and I really don't see that happening where I live, people to cheap, furthermore, I don't md for the $$$$ value, if I need the money real bad I'll get another job. I figure for me, I usually hit about a dollar an hour of clad - part time job a lot more,

Read the post again, if you want to see for real, charge like 40 bucks an hour and see what kind of reaction you get? Then say "What are you really looking for, you need to be honest with me since I don't want to hit a explosive device or gas line? Spice it up etc etc.

Anyone think that the owner might know of something buried that's why he wants all finds? It's a possibility is all I am saying. Watch your back unless you know him well. A bunch of gold or silver coins could have unexpected reactions. You could become a trespasser real quick. You never know just be safe.

Could be he's just testing you out as well, to see how much he can trust you, how honest you are about revealing your finds at the end of the day. Might want to know how far the story goes locally as well.

If you are finding wheats and indians, there is a good chance of silver, maybe gold as well. But farmers haven't really enjoyed doing business with banks, and there are usually legends of buried savings in most any farming comunity. Doubt you are going to find the good stuff along the property line, which is why hiring someone to look for the markers is relatively safe, if there is a hidden horde.

It's really up to the individual. Personally, I think it could be a fun hunt, and getting paid to have fun is nice too. Even if you don't get to keep the finds, you still have the memories, and pictures (would insist). It would still be great to find the cash stash, even if you don't get to keep it, or a share, but it's likely the farmer would show some appreciation, if that's the case.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but very cautious about finding property markers for people. Check the laws in your state. Most times if your not a licensed surveyor it could be illegal for you to to do that and/or get paid for it.

Why did these two people want you to locate property markers for them? Are they going to use what you found to erect a fence, shed or maybe plant a tree? When I said you need to be cautious is for that fact.

If there is a dispute over the position of a boundary line, it is in the best interest of BOTH owners to seek the advice of a professional surveyor. Every land ownership boundary line in the U.S. is described and/or defined by a map or deed. In order to retrace that line accurately (ie: in its proper position) the research must be done to ensure that the footsteps of the original setting surveyor are being followed. That research usually begins at a County level (as mentioned by Holograph) and may require research of adjoining properties to find the necessary evidence to determine proper location of lines and corner monumentation (if any). Angular measurements are defined using compass bearings and distances are usually in decimal feet. Older maps, from the early 1900's and older, use survey chains (not feet) for distance. Some maps in some parts of the country use metrics. Coordinates of any kind (geodetic, State Plane, or other) are very rarely used to define the position of property boundaries and corners. While a handheld GPSr is useful for somethings, determining property boundary and corner location is not one of them, and attempting to locate a line in question with one could create more confusion, particularly if the intent is to set a marker. (It should be noted that looking for a particular property corner for the sake of curiousity is perfectly fine, however, attempting to do survey work in order to define a property corner or boundary is illegal to do unless you are licensed as a Land Surveyor.)

i would strike up a deal with the, i find your pins for free you let me detect your land i keep what i find and for the guy that wanted to keep every thing you find. i think i would walk away. but if you realy need the money i would set a job rate not hr rate, give him a dead line when you would stop and ask for half up front.

Back
Top Bottom