• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1st Regiment of Artillerist

waltr

Elite Member
Found this button today at an old farm. I could see the scripted 'A' but though its just a fancy button. Not until at home and showed it to my wife and she asked "what is at the bottom inside a oval".
Looked again and realized this may be an Artillery button. Google search found this document.
https://www.georgewashingtoninaugur...llery-regt-artillery-corps-militia-artillery/

Scroll about 1/4 way down page ID's this as an 1813-1814 1st Regiment of Artillerist.

Also found this Regulation 1808 should belt plate at the same farm site a couple years ago. My guess is these were owned by the same person and may be David, the grandfather of the person that an 1870's officer's coat button owned. I have been researching the family and ID George as Army officer post civil.
Now really need to get back on research the earlier members of the family.

If these were found at battle, training or other military sites the Id of the owner would be be possible.

Attachments

• 1st Artillerist.jpg
    1st Artillerist.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_9824 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9824 (Large).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_9823 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9823 (Large).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 299
Found this button today at an old farm. I could see the scripted 'A' but though its just a fancy button. Not until at home and showed it to my wife and she asked "what is at the bottom inside a oval".
Looked again and realized this may be an Artillery button. Google search found this document.
https://www.georgewashingtoninaugur...llery-regt-artillery-corps-militia-artillery/

Scroll about 1/4 way down page ID's this as an 1813-1814 1st Regiment of Artillerist......

Congratulations on that button!

Thanks everyone. It is an exciting find.

Nice and looks like a good ID. What does the back look like?

I did some more very careful cleaning with a tooth pick and could read:
H__DHN & SCO_IL

This matches the back mark in the link above which is:
*LEAVENWORTH HAYDEN & SCOVILL

Here is the best photo I could get on the back. The '&' is at about the 2 O'clock position.

Attachments

• 1st Artillerist back.jpg
    1st Artillerist back.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 305
Thanks everyone. It is an exciting find.

I did some more very careful cleaning with a tooth pick and could read:
H__DHN & SCO_IL

This matches the back mark in the link above which is:
*LEAVENWORTH HAYDEN & SCOVILL

Here is the best photo I could get on the back. The '&' is at about the 2 O'clock position.

Nice. I understand that is even rarer.

Nice. I understand that is even rarer.

That is also what I have read.

Last night a local Auction house held an open appraisal. I went with the Fugio, this button and the belt plate along with some other coins.

The military history guy was very interested in the button and plate. He was even more interested with having a name attached.

I have been reading more and found that there were only 123 1st Artillerist total during 1813-1814. This includes enlisted, officers and staff.
So this seems to be a pretty rare find.

Back
Top Bottom