Most portable metal detectors?

beachclad

I've been detecting on the beach on an almost daily basis and I frequently walk several miles to my destination and back.

The problem is that my ACE 300 takes a minute or two to disassemble and put into a backpack. It's a chore. Even then, the pistol grip and control box don't really collapse into a smaller size. So I frequently carry my detector in my hand as I walk, fully assembled.

It would be nice to have a foldable one. I initially balked at the idea of buying something like the Garrett ATX, due to its weight. However, I see from the stock images that it's surprisingly portable. It folds into a neat 20" tall unit that fits inside a backpack.

Are there any other detectors like this at a slightly lower price range? Or any that have a collapsible/foldable shaft with a detachable control box? Specifically, salt water detectors.

Take a look at the Simplex. Folds small.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

There is a beach setting in there also. That may help some.

With adjustable ground balance the simplex will perform much better than the ace 300 your already using.

The Nox compacts down small.

I'm eying the Fisher 1280X, with the removable control box. It seems fairly portable and well suited for beaches. Any opinions on it?

Also looking at possibly getting an Equinox 600.

Do I really need a digital target ID screen? I guess this is a different topic entirely...

I'm eying the Fisher 1280X, with the removable control box. It seems fairly portable and well suited for beaches. Any opinions on it?

Also looking at possibly getting an Equinox 600.

Do I really need a digital target ID screen? I guess this is a different topic entirely...
VDI once you learn the numbers will help you dig less and spend time finding more.

I use the Minelab gofind 40

I carry this thing everywhere, even when I take the scooter to the beaches. Its lite and folds up small. works great in the dry sand. should work as good as a garret 300 in the wet sand.

Any of the multi frequency Minelab Vanquish detectors would be an improvement over what you have and like someone said you just need a backpack that has a 24" long interior pocket. The Vanquish feels very lightweight too. I have used a 340 at a salt water beach and was very impressed at how quiet and deep it was. For a back up or main salt water VLF detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat for the money.

Jeff

Any of the multi frequency Minelab Vanquish detectors would be an improvement over what you have and like someone said you just need a backpack that has a 24" long interior pocket. The Vanquish feels very lightweight too. I have used a 340 at a salt water beach and was very impressed at how quiet and deep it was. For a back up or main salt water VLF detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat for the money.

Jeff

Unfortunately, the control box on the Vanquish isn't waterproof.

That's how I ruined by ACE 300 today. I was always careful to keep the control box out of the water, but I got more and more brazen as time went on. Today I was out by a jetty digging and trying to pinpoint a target while crouching with my back to the surf, and a wave came that caught me by surprise and knocked me off balance. I lost the grip on the detector and it dropped into the water. I grabbed it as fast as I could but I knew instantly it was ruined when I saw water inside the display.

It was only a matter of time. I was using a detector that wasn't suitable for what I was doing.

Get a bunny harness/strap. 1 hook on the arm cuff. 1 hook on the lower shaft. Put it over your head and keep it behind your back. You can walk for miles hands free.

Unfortunately, the control box on the Vanquish isn't waterproof.

That's how I ruined by ACE 300 today. I was always careful to keep the control box out of the water, but I got more and more brazen as time went on. Today I was out by a jetty digging and trying to pinpoint a target while crouching with my back to the surf, and a wave came that caught me by surprise and knocked me off balance. I lost the grip on the detector and it dropped into the water. I grabbed it as fast as I could but I knew instantly it was ruined when I saw water inside the display.

It was only a matter of time. I was using a detector that wasn't suitable for what I was doing.

If you can miraculously use an Ace in the ocean then get a simplex, it's waterproof to 10ft or so.

If you can miraculously use an Ace in the ocean then get a simplex, it's waterproof to 10ft or so.

I was out a fair distance from the water line but there were unpredictable riptides coming in every few minutes or so. I was at my newly discovered coin patch picking up high signals in the wet sand like quarters and dimes. I managed about $14 and a .925 silver ring in about 5-6 hours.

I like the Simplex as a dry sand detector and backup, but I'm really wanting to make the leap to water detecting. Up to knee-deep.

In the $600-$800 range, I'm leaning towards getting the Equinox 600 and then the carbon fiber shaft at some point.

But I get the nagging feeling there's something better in the used market. I realize the Nox 600 came out a year or so ago and it's the latest technology, but I keep reading rave reviews on old school detectors like the White's BH and the ML Sovereign. There is even a Garrett Sea Hunter MKII that I can buy right now for under $500.

The lightest and most portable is the XP Deus and ORX. Some guys even detect underwater with the Deus after it’s bagged.
The Sovereign is not waterproof and not easy to make it that way but it can be done.
The waterproof and multi frequency Minelab 600 is an awesome beach detector and works great in the water. Add the 800 to the equation for additional features.
Good luck!

I was out a fair distance from the water line but there were unpredictable riptides coming in every few minutes or so. I was at my newly discovered coin patch picking up high signals in the wet sand like quarters and dimes. I managed about $14 and a .925 silver ring in about 5-6 hours.

I like the Simplex as a dry sand detector and backup, but I'm really wanting to make the leap to water detecting. Up to knee-deep.

In the $600-$800 range, I'm leaning towards getting the Equinox 600 and then the carbon fiber shaft at some point.

But I get the nagging feeling there's something better in the used market. I realize the Nox 600 came out a year or so ago and it's the latest technology, but I keep reading rave reviews on old school detectors like the White's BH and the ML Sovereign. There is even a Garrett Sea Hunter MKII that I can buy right now for under $500.

I owned the sea Hunter 2 , I sold it because It was a tiring digging all the iron trash.
I recommend the Equinox 600 for sure! My 800 works great in saltwater.👍

Back
Top Bottom