Whites M6 (2019) any good

iproff1

I know nothing about detectors never used one. I am thinking on buying a used Whites M6, it was bought last summer and only used a few times. He has all the manuals and the original box. The price seems reasonable at 450.00 Canadian with an extra coil and a pin pointer, it list for over 1,000.00 up here. Would this be a good unit for looking for items on a fresh water beach, around camp grounds and farm land? Any thing I should check that could be troublesome with this model?

Thanks for any responses.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I owned an M6 for a couple of years. I really liked it but at the same time it was not suitable for the soil conditions in my area and lacked some of the features I wanted. My dirt here in the eastern Rocky Mountains is highly mineralized and the M6 could not handle the mineralization well with any of the coils I tried including several Detech coils, and lost a lot of depth and target ID accuracy. If you have milder soil, that will not be a problem. $345 US for a used M6 with an extra coil and pinpointer is a good deal. If it is only a year old the warranty can be transferred over to you too. It is a fairly heavy detector and only the coil is waterproof.

On the other hand, there are lots of detectors on the market right now either new=Nokta Makro Simplex fully waterproof with wireless headphones, the Minelab Vanquish 540, Fisher F44 or used= Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F19/Teknetics G2+, Minelab X-Terra 505 or 705, Whites MX7 (great detector!!! or its waterproof brother the MX Sport) Whites MX5 or MXT and many others that will cost between $300 and $400 US for a well cared for used one.

One question you might want to ask on this forum is what are the detectors that work really well for your steel based modern clad coins.

Jeff

Last edited:
Minelab Equinox 600 or better yet the 800 because of the two gold modes and two separate iron bias adjustable modes and manual and auto ground balance and also auto tracking ground balancing, But you’re gonna pay 600 or $800 respectively. Also both use multi frequency (5 frequency at once on 600 and 800, or each manually 3 on 600 and 5 on the 800.
Just my opinion

Doug

The M6 is an outstanding detector. I have 2 amongst my several detectors. If if struggles with mineralization, I suspect that is related to the factory 950 concentric coil. Any of the available double-D coils work just fine in worse ground conditions, IMHPO.

My main coil for the M6 is the Detech 8x6 coil. Whites has a 6x10DD coil but it just won't compete with the 8x6 Detech. I say, "Buy it."

Thank you to everyone that responded, great information and a lot of information to digest. I've been reading the thread all 190 posts on which MD is better. The weight of the Whites M6 is a bit of a concern being 68 and not getting younger the 4.9lbs is on the heavy side and with never using a MD before not sure if the weight is balanced out enough to prevent arm strain. Here's some pic of what comes with the unit also a stainless steel scoop.

Ken

b08e0bb089ee1178070c403c3acb978b.jpg
6998eb5938d895a1cc7dfe5c0014532e.jpg
44b81340df817b99724b207fe3ad8d7d.jpg
f48cda2b8d2cbaa56b9f4d200a514224.jpg
f2922ce3d62facef904bdc6070f562ce.jpg

The weight of the Whites M6 is a bit of a concern being 68 and not getting younger the 4.9lbs is on the heavy side and with never using a MD before not sure if the weight is balanced out enough to prevent arm strain.

This jumps out at me. I've never used a White's but that sounds pretty heavy. Chris makes good points on the Vanquish and Simplex, 2 less expensive and more modern machines that both weigh in at under 3 lbs.

The Whites was a good machine for it’s time, but I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone in 2020. Starting out, either a Nokta Makro Simplex or Minelab Vanguish is the way to go IMO. If you stick with the hobby through the burnout period you can always sell and upgrade with barely a loss, and for entry level priced detectors they have more performance than many performance detectors of yesterday.
Thanks Chris the Simplex is in my price range with the wireless head phones is 479.00 Canadian on Amazon. A good pinpointer another 125.00. For 100.00 less the Simplex comes minus the headphones I'm not sure the wireless headphones are needed or not.

Ken

Wireless headphones are really great for not being tethered to the detector. When you have done enough detecting to be used to digging 50 to 100 targets during a 2 or 3 hour detecting session, you will understand how nice it is not to have to arrange the detector and yourself before digging those targets so that you don't tangle things up in the headphone cable or damage it while digging. They are well worth the money and the Nokta Makro wireless headphones are very nice too with little or no wireless lag.

Jeff

This jumps out at me. I've never used a White's but that sounds pretty heavy. Chris makes good points on the Vanquish and Simplex, 2 less expensive and more modern machines that both weigh in at under 3 lbs.
The more I think about that extra 2lbs the more I am thinking that Chis has the right idea about the Simplex.

Wireless headphones are really great for not being tethered to the detector. When you have done enough detecting to be used to digging 50 to 100 targets during a 2 or 3 hour detecting session, you will understand how nice it is not to have to arrange the detector and yourself before digging those targets so that you don't tangle things up in the headphone cable or damage it while digging. They are well worth the money and the Nokta Makro wireless headphones are very nice too with little or no wireless lag.

Jeff

Wasaga Beach is the worlds longest fresh water beach normally it is 100 feet wide and you can walk 10 to 15 miles in one direction go to the other side of the river and walk another 10 to 15 miles. I've only seen 2 people at Beach 1 with MD early in the morning. There is about 100,00 people visit the Beach each weekend in the summer. I do wear hearing aids but with the noise of the water on the shore and the early beach goers I think the wireless headphones would be the way to go. Found a dealer in Canada the sells the unit with headphones for 450.00 freight included.

Ken

1st detector

Look 4 a used makro racer2 or for a few bucks more a nokta impact.Read some reviews Both easy to use,DEEEEEP!,great customer service, and can be found at reasonable cost.

White's M6 was the detector I had wanted (this was 10 years ago mind you) because I was so fascinated by the multi-tones (7 varying) it provided when hunting to allow you to "listen" for targets. Once I finally saved for it and started using it, it was a joy! I have since moved on, but it got me started on my detecting journey and I had many great finds with it including my Civil War eagle belt plate below:

I also made a video way back then (sorry for lack of quality, but you get the idea) about the multi-tones.

White's M6 was the detector I had wanted (this was 10 years ago mind you) because I was so fascinated by the multi-tones (7 varying) it provided when hunting to allow you to "listen" for targets. Once I finally saved for it and started using it, it was a joy! I have since moved on, but it got me started on my detecting journey and I had many great finds with it including my Civil War eagle belt plate below:

I also made a video way back then (sorry for lack of quality, but you get the idea) about the multi-tones.

How did you find the weight of the M6 at over 4lbs I'm starting to lean toward the Simplex.

How did you find the weight of the M6 at over 4lbs I'm starting to lean toward the Simplex.

I don’t have the m6 but I do have the IDX,same build..I think when you hold a whites you actually feel like your holding a quality machine..Can’t speak Of any other coils but the 950 and 6 inch,but the whites balances perfect with both.
Simplex is a great machine,but I think it’s a little nose heavy..Overall weight of a machine is nothing compared to balance..lighter machines that aren’t balanced put more strain on your wrist and elbow than a heavier machine that is balanced..All good info in this thread,you can’t go wrong with any of the machines mentioned..comes down to personal preference,what I like you might not

I don’t have the m6 but I do have the IDX,same build..I think when you hold a whites you actually feel like your holding a quality machine..Can’t speak Of any other coils but the 950 and 6 inch,but the whites balances perfect with both.
Simplex is a great machine,but I think it’s a little nose heavy..Overall weight of a machine is nothing compared to balance..lighter machines that aren’t balanced put more strain on your wrist and elbow than a heavier machine that is balanced..All good info in this thread,you can’t go wrong with any of the machines mentioned..comes down to personal preference,what I like you might not

Good point , My M6 with the 6x8 Detech coil is much easier on me than my Nox with the 11" coil .

It does get heavy after several hours of detecting and I was using it in my mid 20's as an in-shape guy. There are much lighter options out there if the weight is a concern.

It does get heavy after several hours of detecting and I was using it in my mid 20's as an in-shape guy. There are much lighter options out there if the weight is a concern.
It wasn't when I first saw the ad but when the weight was mentioned and I looked into other machines and there weight I'm shying away from it now.

Thank you to everyone that responded, great information and a lot of information to digest. I've been reading the thread all 190 posts on which MD is better. The weight of the Whites M6 is a bit of a concern being 68 and not getting younger the 4.9lbs is on the heavy side and with never using a MD before not sure if the weight is balanced out enough to prevent arm strain. Here's some pic of what comes with the unit also a stainless steel scoop.

Ken

b08e0bb089ee1178070c403c3acb978b.jpg
6998eb5938d895a1cc7dfe5c0014532e.jpg
44b81340df817b99724b207fe3ad8d7d.jpg
f48cda2b8d2cbaa56b9f4d200a514224.jpg
f2922ce3d62facef904bdc6070f562ce.jpg

I'm 65 and the weight really isn't an issue. Its a great hobbyist type detector
and I'm sure you'll have lots of good finds.
Just my opinion though.
Good luck and happy hunting

I had an M6 for a few years and it found a lot of the good stuff and at good depths. Battery life was 40+ hours on 8 AA batteries. If you're someone who likes to use notch discrimination, the M6 doesn't have it. Main concern was that it weighed in at over 4 pounds. After winning an AT Pro in a seeded hunt I sold the M6 and have no regrets. The AT Pro weighs in at only 3.03 pounds which is considerably lighter than the M6. Currently Garrett has some good deals on their AT Pro and ace 400 detectors which includes a free Garrett Propointer. The Ace 300 has a deal that gives you a Propointer at a reduced price. The Garrett detectors are easy to learn which is a plus for someone with no previous experience.

Thanks Mr. T Bill and diggin4clad your input and experience is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom