• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any luck off-brand Pinpointer?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
My son and I detect together but I generally carry the AT Pro and shovel. He'll often carry my Garrett Carrot and hand-tool. I thought maybe I'd buy him a Pinpointer and hand-tool to carry himself. It'll add to the 'sense of ownership' perhaps.

(A large benefit of this arrangement is that he'll drop down to get those targets and let me keep sweeping for the next one - especially useful on longer hunts where I'm tuckered.) :)

I don't feel like spending 1-125 on another Garrett right now but I'd drop 25-35 on a repro.

There is still this thing, still $14.99...not counting the many 20-25% off coupons floating around out there.
IF you have a store near you, I guess they don't ship them anymore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

I used one for three months when I first started in this hobby, lots of us around here did, then I got my first ProPointer.
Nowhere near Carrot level in performance but mine did work out to a couple of inches and was way, way better than using nothing.
It worked just as well as a Fisher F Pointer or the Bounty Hunter equivalent and those things cost $40.

The switch broke but I replaced it easily and then I proceeded to beat the living heck out of that thing and I still have it.
I keep it around for the nostalgia.

photostudio_1577997744487.jpg

Attachments

• photostudio_1577997626867.jpg
    photostudio_1577997626867.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 614
I tried that harbor freight thing. I couldn’t stand it, neither could my kids. That encouraged me to buy the carrot even faster lol. Mine broke, because my kids buried it in the yard so they wouldn’t have to use it again [emoji23]...

I think bounty hunter has 1 for like 15$ but I’d probably go for the carrot knockoff first (although I’d rather just get another quality pointer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is still this thing, still $14.99...not counting the many 20-25% off coupons floating around out there.
IF you have a store near you, I guess they don't ship them anymore.

https://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

I used one for three months when I first started in this hobby, lots of us around here did, then I got my first ProPointer.
Nowhere near Carrot level in performance but mine did work out to a couple of inches and was way, way better than using nothing.
It worked just as well as a Fisher F Pointer or the Bounty Hunter equivalent and those things cost $40.

The switch broke but I replaced it easily and then I proceeded to beat the living heck out of that thing and I still have it.
I keep it around for the nostalgia.

View attachment 456332

Still have mine as a back up , for the price does the job.

When I started detecting pinpointers hadn't been invented yet. After years of hunting with out one i finally bought a harbor Freight one. I never had an problem with it and even faked some kids out who were throwing rocks at cars with them thinking it was a two way radio.

I got one of those "KUMAN" "GP - pointer" off of Amazon for 30 or 40 bucks and it works great. I don't know how long it will last but it is still going strong after a year.

I don’t get needing a pinpointer that alerts 6 inches away from the target.

I’ve got the GP pointer, and I’ve been nothing but satisfied with it. I’ve used it all summer with no problems. It consistently points out to 3-4 inches sometimes more. With the PP function on my Fisher, I get close to the target readily, and know how far to dig. The GP pointer does exactly what I expected it, and any pin pointer to do.

I don’t get needing a pinpointer that alerts 6 inches away from the target.

I’ve got the GP pointer, and I’ve been nothing but satisfied with it. I’ve used it all summer with no problems. It consistently points out to 3-4 inches sometimes more. With the PP function on my Fisher, I get close to the target readily, and know how far to dig. The GP pointer does exactly what I expected it, and any pin pointer to do.

The carrot has 3 sensitivity settings and only reaches 6” if it’s a huge target. But if it starts raining or you drop the gp in a puddle your screwed. On top of that, you have no warranty. It’s good for kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist. I’d only have 1 as a backup... my garret lost the o-ring, probably my fault but I’m still getting a new 1 in the mail for free. All I had to do was mention it as a side note in an email.

The carrot has 3 sensitivity settings and only reaches 6” if it’s a huge target. But if it starts raining or you drop the gp in a puddle your screwed. On top of that, you have no warranty. It’s good for kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist. I’d only have 1 as a backup...

As xibowhunter said they work and they work damned well for under $20. Just because they're not submersible doesn't make them only for "kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist." If that is the case most metal detectors would only be for "kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist." LOL. A little rain shouldn't hurt it. I dont think too many people drop their pp in puddles very often. That sure isn't a reason not to buy one! They have an o-ring on the battery cover and putting a piece of tape over the speaker (a smart move to do on any pp) will help keep water and dirt out of it.

Pretty sure that’s the bounty hunter... same company, little sensitivity knob on it

deteknix-xpointer-china-pinpointer
The deteknix looks almost identical to the garret carrot except it has two button operation.

Attachments

• B51DBB1B-B35A-4EDE-877C-ADDBA78610B3.jpeg
    B51DBB1B-B35A-4EDE-877C-ADDBA78610B3.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 546
I’ve washed my GP pointer off in the sink under running water with no issues at all.

As xibowhunter said they work and they work damned well for under $20. Just because they're not submersible doesn't make them only for "kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist." If that is the case most metal detectors would only be for "kids in the dry season, or a careful detectorist." LOL. A little rain shouldn't hurt it. I dont think too many people drop their pp in puddles very often. That sure isn't a reason not to buy one! They have an o-ring on the battery cover and putting a piece of tape over the speaker (a smart move to do on any pp) will help keep water and dirt out of it.

Maybe if you would read the thread you would see I’m the first person to recommend the gp pointer, or anything for that matter so ease up dude.

And regardless of how you feel. Generic, Chinese knockoffs will always be rated less than quality. Gp pointers are not quality and most companies selling them get sued by Garrett. A Chinese knockoff will always be a Chinese knockoff. If you don’t wanna pay for quality that’s your problem. Don’t think your on even ground though.

Maybe if you would read the thread you would see I’m the first person to recommend the gp pointer, or anything for that matter so ease up dude.

You need to ease up dude. You blew up on Xibowhunter for trying to help answer the op's question by giving his opinion on a pp he uses. Garrett won't be sueing"GP" because other than it resembling the carrot there is nothing copied. And I know the difference between a $15 pp and $150 one. I use the TRX and Tec-point but sell the GP at cost to anyone who buys a used detector from me so they can get out and start detecting.

Attachments

• WP_20200103_00_39_35_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20200103_00_39_35_Pro (2).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 554
And regardless of how you feel. Generic, Chinese knockoffs will always be rated less than quality. Gp pointers are not quality and most companies selling them get sued by Garrett. A Chinese knockoff will always be a Chinese knockoff. If you don’t wanna pay for quality that’s your problem. Don’t think your on even ground though.

"Generic, Chinese knockoffs will always be rated less than quality.Generic, Chinese knockoffs will always be rated less than quality."

Ain't it odd? The Chinese reverse engineer major electronics, but they fail to produce a GOOD copy on a pinpointer. Just what key components, do the legal manufacturer have, that the Chinese can't replicate?

I've been using one of the cheap generic carrots all season and it works fine. It only detects 1 1/2 to 2 inches on a coin which is acceptable. There are times when a pinpointer with more range would have shortened my search and I'll probably upgrade pinpointer early this year. But my cheap one works and has taken a pounding this season.

Back
Top Bottom