Need advice on new Detector purchase

stetam

Elite Member
Let me say I am a relative newb to the hobby, only got serious this past summer since I retired. I currently have an Ace 250 and mostly detect at old home sites, farms and parks. No underwater detecting. The Ace works fairly well since I now understand what its telling me and I do like it. However I would like to upgrade this winter to a machine that has better discrimination, depth and digital target ID. Looking at something $600 and less. Since I like the Garrett and am used to it would the Ace 400 be a good choice? Recommendations?

Steve

For $600 you could get a Minelab Equinox 600 from a sponsor here or the classifieds. You can call a sponsor and ask for a lower price, they want to deal!

Oh yeah, forget about the Ace 400 it's the same as a 250 except with expanded iron range and vdi #.👎

Last edited:
I agree with the recommendation for the AT Pro. It is the next progression after the Ace series and you would be moving up to a unit that has a ground balance. This alone will give you better performance over the Ace 400 model.

I'm thinking Equinox 600 is where I want to go. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Steve
If you're set on an EQ600 you shouldn't need convincing otherwise. Go with your gut feeling. No matter which detector you are thinking of getting there will be folks who praise it and those who bash it.

Let me say I am a relative newb to the hobby, only got serious this past summer since I retired. I currently have an Ace 250 and mostly detect at old home sites, farms and parks. No underwater detecting. The Ace works fairly well since I now understand what its telling me and I do like it. However I would like to upgrade this winter to a machine that has better discrimination, depth and digital target ID. Looking at something $600 and less. Since I like the Garrett and am used to it would the Ace 400 be a good choice? Recommendations?

Steve

Hey Steve! Welcome to the forum. Lots of good recommendations by members so far (some that I whole heartily agree with) on a new detector and I have an article - Metal Detecting Life that covers various pros and cons of getting started in the hobby and what detector/equipment to get. Give it a read and I hope it helps!

Hey Steve! Welcome to the forum. Lots of good recommendations by members so far (some that I whole heartily agree with) on a new detector and I have an article - Metal Detecting Life that covers various pros and cons of getting started in the hobby and what detector/equipment to get. Give it a read and I hope it helps!
Good advice!

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking Equinox 600 is where I want to go. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Steve

I upgraded from the At pro to the Equinox 800. I recommend the Equinox 600, I almost bought it but decided to go all out😃
You cant lose with the 600!

Another vote for the AT PRO. It would be the easiest transition coming from an ace 250.

I love my nox 600 it was good enough to get my dad to upgrade from his at pro, naturally he had to 1 up me tho and got a ctx just to brag lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minelab Equinox 600 junk:laughing:
get the atpro easy to learn.. you can swing it fast
ONLY downside is salt water...
you will not dig the amount of trash that the 600 will find
if you had big coin i would do a 3030 i own both
but NO Minelab Equinox 600 OR 800::cool3:

After mulling it over I have decided to go with an AT Pro since I have been happy with my Ace 250. One question, what is the difference between the AT Pro and the 55th Anniversary model AT Pro?

Steve

After mulling it over I have decided to go with an AT Pro since I have been happy with my Ace 250. One question, what is the difference between the AT Pro and the 55th Anniversary model AT Pro?

Steve

The only difference is the sticker under the control box that says anniversary edition.

After a week of online research and forum member recommendations I pulled the trigger on an Equinox 600 from Jeff at Qualitymetaldetectors.net. Jeff gave me a great deal on the machine with free 6" coil and a military discount to boot. :gettinmoney:

Steve

Back
Top Bottom