Who is the Michael Jordan of metal detecting?

Yes, Geraldo already opened that vault BUT they can still make a show with Drayton going back into the vault with his metal detector. I can hear the narrator now...……."What? A piece of metal ? In Al Capone's vault? Were the Knights Templar here many years ago? Then they can start drilling through the floor 187 feet down hoping to find wooden fibers.
Maybe they both can go to the vault. When Gary goes in , Geraldo can slam the door. It's now sealed off claiming victim #7. Isn't that all that's needed to remove the curse ?

I think those names belong in the hall of fame of detecting, if it ever existed. When you can start winning championships for metal detecting, then we can start talking about the GOAT's of this sport. Yes we have our favorite successful hobbyist (like digginbritt :laughing:) but there's not a single one I would EVER compare to Michael Jordan. Just :my2cents:

Hey, with Michael Jordan's dedication to being the best at what he did, if he applied that same dedication to detecting then he himself could be the Michael Jordan of metal detecting :lol:
detectoristmj_beach.jpg

Nothing against the nox and not bitter. Of the 20 or so guys swinging at 2am 90% have a nox. The other 10% could afford the ctx.
Assuming somebody purchased an Equinox because they can't afford a CTX is being quite bitter and condescending. This is supposed to be a friendly metal detecting forum, not a place to judge other members based off of their machine choice. I suggest you re-evaluate the way you approach this forum and help keep it a friendly environment as it was intended.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Assuming somebody purchased an Equinox because they can't afford a CTX is being quite bitter and condescending. This is supposed to be a friendly metal detecting forum, not a place to judge other members based off of their machine choice. I suggest you re-evaluate the way you approach this forum and help keep it a friendly environment as it was intended.

:laughing: . Wow.. :lol::lol: I didn't realize you elected yourself presidential administrator. If you see anything else wrong with some of my posts.. past, present, or future please let me know. I will try to follow your guideline. Thank you

In case you didn't know, which is hard to believe being the presidential administrator, I live in a poor part of Asia. A ctx is more than 1 years salary for the average person.
Does this post fit your guidelines ? If not, please edit it. Thank you

Last edited:
:laughing: . Wow.. [emoji38][emoji38] I didn't realize you elected yourself presidential administrator. If you see anything else wrong with some of my posts.. past, present, or future please let me know. I will try to follow your guideline. Thank you

In case you didn't know, which is hard to believe being the presidential administrator, I live in a poor part of Asia. A ctx is more than 1 years salary for the average person.

Thank you, Steve.

:laughing: . Wow.. :lol::lol: I didn't realize you elected yourself presidential administrator. If you see anything else wrong with some of my posts.. past, present, or future please let me know. I will try to follow your guideline. Thank you

Steve , I feel your pain. Sometimes it makes me want to cry. But I guess its progress which can't be stopped. That's why only recently I gave in and joined a few forums hoping to give just a little advice to those it might help.

It's not the brand of detector that you and I are upset about. It's about detecting in general, locations that we were once the only ones there or just 1 or 2 others. Because of the price of gold , economics , social media , YouTube, etc , more people are out there doing it. Eventually , over time areas get wiped out just by the shear numbers of man hours being pounded upon our beaches. We then search out other locations until those to have been pillaged. Back when I really got into this , maybe I would see a total of 4 or 5 hunters over a 1 month period. I can see triple that amount in 1 day now.

Sure Steve , there are always fresh drops and the ocean occasionally spitting up some good older finds. But the days of going out and getting 7 pieces of gold , 10 silver , 150 coins , and doing that for 3 days in a row are over. About 20 years ago I was angry when I noticed alot more hunters than I was used to. Now it can get crazy out there. Hunting at night can help with that. But the bottom line is you can't stop the influx of new detectorist. Just try and be encouraging when out there. I have met a few cool people but will always miss "the good old days ".

My Questions are what standards qualify for the best detectorist ? Is it someone that helps others learning detectoring ? someone that finds are fantastic ? You can not find targets if there not there. Research is also a LARGE key to great finds USUALLY .

The real Michael Jordan of detecting will be doing as much as possible to keep a low profile.

Good point :lol:
I think those names belong in the hall of fame of detecting, if it ever existed.
When you can start winning championships for metal detecting, then we can start talking about the GOAT's of this sport. Yes we have our favorite successful hobbyist (like digginbritt :laughing:) but there's not a single one I would EVER compare to Michael Jordan. Just :my2cents:

That's a great idea.
Competitive metal detecting. Why isn't this a thing yet?

With all the reality shows/contests maybe they need to come out with a competitive metal detecting show :lol:

In the meantime maybe a detectorist could go on "America's Got Talent" and wow the judges with how many coins they can pop out of the ground in a short time :laughing:
AGT_MD_Mud2.jpg

…..or maybe they could make it an Olympic sport ? :laughing:
olypmic_field3.jpg

What about Jim Brouwer and Beau Ouimette (Aquachigger)?

Btw, to qualify, the detectorist must be "like" Jordan in the following three attributes:

1. Already "famous" in the MD world.
2. A long track record of consistent finds, every year.
3. The versatility and skills to detect various landscapes successfully (rivers, beaches, woods, fields, etc.)

Gary Drayton, I serious doubt..Mel would be at the top of my list.

Last edited:
Well I’ve left you guys hanging long enough. I’m pretty sure I’m the Michael Jordan of metal detecting. Yes me, JimR from Tennessee. Because just like Michael Jordon in his baseball career I strike out a lot metal detecting.

Like Michael Jordan in his NBA career? Oh hell no.

I like Clive. He is knowledgeable and trys to teach others. One of my favorite hunters of all time ( for the beach ) is Terry Shannon. Kip Wagner could be another ( from Mel Fishers team )

Loose lips sink ships. I had an entire section of Asia to myself in Asia... now detecting is basically finished. Every unemployed guy has an equinox and swinging it at the beach day and night

Yup. Singapore has detectorists on the beaches now... pretty much EVERY time I go!!

Search Metal Detecting Singapore, and you'll know why... :(

Back
Top Bottom