Remember when?

bigp2

This was all found through 2008 to 2010, sure not that way anymore. Lucky to find one ring in a month these days. I guess I did work at it a lot harder back then. A good day today is 10 or so targets in a few hours and if your lucky you may make enough to buy coffee in the morning.

Attachments

• 002 (2).jpg
    002 (2).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 684
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 601
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 636
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 591
No. I choose not to remember those days.

Good to see some CA tallies. Was all that from wet-sand erosion hunting ? Or dry sand ?

The best year I had, was the 1997-98 El Nino year. Even though I was also hunting in 1982-83 El Nino, yet I wasn't a knowledgeable hunter at those times, and .... it was over by the time I realized what was happening. Looking back, I wished I'd quit my job and taken up full-time metal detecting for those 3 or 4 months !

Big - That's an impressive amount of booty and some of those rings are spectacular! :dingding:

Equinox, tv shows, Youtube? Can we ever put the cat back in the bag or are some of us such attention hoes it will never happen?
I have had friends and relatives tell me to either do a blog or do Youtube videos on metal detecting. Although I enjoy watching some Youtubers, others are simply awful. I metal detect for me and for me only. When I am out in the water or on a beach that's my zen. Most of the time I don't even bring my phone. When I post on here I enjoy writing the stories of my hunts and try to make them entertaining for others but they also memorialize my hunts for me.

Big - That's an impressive amount of booty and some of those rings are spectacular! :dingding:

I have had friends and relatives tell me to either do a blog or do Youtube videos on metal detecting. Although I enjoy watching some Youtubers, others are simply awful. I metal detect for me and for me only. When I am out in the water or on a beach that's my zen. Most of the time I don't even bring my phone. When I post on here I enjoy writing the stories of my hunts and try to make them entertaining for others but they also memorialize my hunts for me.

I too have been asked about YouTube and feel much the same. This forum is a place for such post. One can only find it by looking for it’s kind specifically. Not the same as all those shows on tv ect. Where it is basically force fed to the masses and glamorized beyond reality. The only real saving grace is the hobby can be hard work and people are inherently lazy. :laughing:

Some impressive pictures! I hear a lot of stories about the good old days, when 6 gold rings in a day was normal. You've got some real beauties!

Nice collection that points to lots of hours and experience! Its good to see you held on to it as well! Not a bad investment holding.

Gold 2008 = $871/oz. average 2009 = $972/oz. 2010 = $1225/oz.

This was all found through 2008 to 2010, sure not that way anymore. Lucky to find one ring in a month these days. I guess I did work at it a lot harder back then. A good day today is 10 or so targets in a few hours and if your lucky you may make enough to buy coffee in the morning.

Clearly a beach hunter's lament. I'm a land hunter, and finding a gold a month is about the best I can do! (well, actually, I've averaged just a bit more than 1/month, but I'd like to see it at 10! LOL)

Skippy

Yes I remember VERY much. That was somewhat when I first started. Around 2015 2016. I would find a ring on nearly every water hunt and a good 10 bucks in change easily in the slopes/dry. I pretty much stopped detecting around mid 2019 because of life and then moved out to Vegas late 2020. I miss it ALOT and I know that it's not about the finds but the hunt and I SURE MISS getting in the wet but it seems like I sure am not missing much in way of treasure these days. Not at all..... You have a pretty good bounty there. I have about 150 grams saved and a boat load of silver..... Maybe it's time to start selling...

Why aren't times as good today? 2008-11 was the middle of the Great Recession.

More people metal detecting now?
Price of gold too high for the average folk?
Fewer people buying gold jewelry?
Beaches "rejuvenated?"

Has anyone metal detected the beaches in India? I thought about this last night...there's a lot of gold there. It's important in their culture. The chances of an Indian millionaire or affluent person owning gold is almost 100%. While here in the United States, it wouldn't be shocking to hear of a millionaire that doesn't own a single piece of gold.

Yes I remember VERY much. That was somewhat when I first started. Around 2015 2016. I pretty much stopped detecting around mid 2019 because of life and then moved out to Vegas late 2020.

LATE 2020 ? How'd you do that? It's still EARLY 2020 here on the east coast. Time machine? :?:

How many of those rings did you buy at Macy's is what I want to know ...

those good old gold days are long gone
thanks to all those loose lips sink ship people
and you tube clowns
you find something keep your trap shut:mad:
2 yrs now and i still have found zero gold

Back
Top Bottom