Another Class Ring Returned.

:dingding: Nice job! Remember to update with the reunification picture.
13 years after losing it. Happy
000eeb2bd3e0fe00b99904f2e94e3dad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used to do those kind of returns. But doing all the leg work only to meet a guy in a parking lot , snatch it out of my hand , give me an insincere "thanks", turn around and jump back in his car...well.....really has turned me off. One too many times....
That is why I drop this stuff off with the local law enforcement and not "Security" in the area. Same with iPhones after I read the screens begging me to call them to return their phone but never just a thank you. They grab and run. Maybe tell them I found their phone and if no reward for my time doing what it took to return it, Just then dump it in a 5 gallon of water. Atleast they know their stuff was found.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I found a school ring recently 15.3 grams ,I thought about returning it “a school near by “ but couldn’t stop thinking about that 320 dollars in melt and the pirate in me prevailed last ring I returned was ungratifying to me ,paid the postage to return it and never heard from the guy again kinda felt like a sucker. It’s sad but it’s the way it is. Finders keepers.

I found a school ring recently 15.3 grams ,I thought about returning it “a school near by “ but couldn’t stop thinking about that 320 dollars in melt and the pirate in me prevailed last ring I returned was ungratifying to me ,paid the postage to return it and never heard from the guy again kinda felt like a sucker. It’s sad but it’s the way it is. Finders keepers.
I certainly wouldn't pay the postage to ship it back. If they can't at least send money for shipping I'd say they didn't want it back to bad.

Cliff

I feel your pain. But as I said before : The reunion stories that turn out to be "grateful", will eventually outweigh the ingrates. And ... heck .... even if/when it didn't ..... Is that mankind's calling to ONLY be kind, when someone's going to reciprocate only ?

If so, then .... those who believe that they can't take risks on potential ingrates, then : I'm sure you'll be the first to decline help, from a passing motorist, when you have car trouble. Right ? No, on the contrary, you will gladly avail yourself of the help of a good Samaritan. Right ? Even though they "took the risk that you might be a jerk", right ? :roll:

I certainly wouldn't pay the postage to ship it back....

I heard a crazy story once, which I would classify as a "fluke". And this is not to color the issue of pirates vs non-pirates when it comes to reunion stories :

There was a guy here in CA, that found a class ring , that had a date/year on it that was something like 15 yrs. old. He did lots of research to track down the guy. No easy feat when you realize that people move away after high school, and often-time don't have listed phone #'s or addresses, etc...

After much research, he finally tracked down the current location and ph. # of the ring-owner. Called him , and got only about 30 seconds into the phone call. The guy on the other end must have figured it was a prank call, or solicitor, and simply hung up on him.

After some persistence, the md'r finally convinced the guy that he had his ring. And the other guy finally recalled having lost his H.S. ring 15 yrs. earlier . So he tells the md'r "Mail it to me" (d/t they were hundreds of miles apart). The md'r said "send me an SASE, or the $ to cover postage, and I'll mail it.

To which the guy said "mail it to me or I'll call the police". The md'r got disgusted and he hung up. But then got the willies, not knowing of the guy was seriously going to call the police or not. After all, he does-in-fact have the guy's property. Hmmmm

I'm sure if someone looked into this long enough, and hard enough, the correct legal answer would be that NEITHER party has the obligation to "pay for postage". The correct legal answer would be to give it to the police. Eh ? But as we all know, that sort of bites. I mean, what's the point of enjoying the hobby (and potential fun appreciative returns), if all-we-ever did was trot to the police station with each ring we find :?: I relate this story NOT to add fuel to the notion that we should never try to return items that can be traced. I think we can all agree that this is a fluke. Not the norm.

I even had someone say they were hopping in their car to start a 200 mile drive, to come get a ring in a similar story with a wedding ring. But we worked out a deal that , as it turns out, I had business in his direction of the state only a week later. So that we could just rendezvous then, to save him his drive time.

And when we met in the Burger King parking lot, he shoved two $100 bills into my hand, even though no reward or gratitude had been discussed. The man described how his wife had been in tears when his ring had gone missing weeks' earlier. When my wife heard that part of the story, she still tells the story, to this day, whenever telling of her husband's hobby. Ie.: The human relations element nature aspect of the hobby. That you sometimes can't put a price on.

Back
Top Bottom