• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

6" Coil for Minelab Equinox 800 - Worth It?

I usually keep the 6in on my 600 because the 11in is so nose heavy it kills my shoulder, couldn’t imagine swinging the 15

Voyager, try shortening your shaft one notch with the 11 coil, and see if that helps your shoulder. It helped me. Good Luck!

Voyager, try shortening your shaft one notch with the 11 coil, and see if that helps your shoulder. It helped me. Good Luck!

Yes....you need to keep the coil close to your feet. Or add a counter weight.

I'm a new owner of the 6-inch coil, and I'm really loving it. It's so compact and light compared with the stock coil which is the first thing you notice about it out-of-the-box.

Can the 6-inch coil find targets the 11-inch coil cannot find? Absolutely, without a doubt. The 6-inch coil is so tiny it can fit in tight areas that the 11-inch coil cannot reach. This is primary reason I bought it. I've went through my entire yard with my 11-inch coil as best I could, but there were some areas I had to skip, such as the flower beds and gravevines because the 11-inch was too big. After getting the 6-inch, I went to back these areas I had skipped and found additional items. Also, I noticed I can metal detect a little closer to known metal objects, such as the chain link fence.

I also found 4 additional coins in the open backyard with the 6-inch that I somehow missed with the 11-inch coil. I'm still puzzling over that. I noticed a couple of the coins were near rusted nails, so I'm thinking I found the coins because the 6-inch coil can differentiate the good stuff from nearby trash better than the 11-inch.

Of course, the 11-inch does have its advantages over the 6-inch. Better depth and bigger sweep area. The 6-inch won't ever completely replace the 11-inch, but I'm finding they complement each other.

I'm a new owner of the 6-inch coil, and I'm really loving it. It's so compact and light compared with the stock coil which is the first thing you notice about it out-of-the-box.

Can the 6-inch coil find targets the 11-inch coil cannot find? Absolutely, without a doubt. The 6-inch coil is so tiny it can fit in tight areas that the 11-inch coil cannot reach. This is primary reason I bought it. I've went through my entire yard with my 11-inch coil as best I could, but there were some areas I had to skip, such as the flower beds and gravevines because the 11-inch was too big. After getting the 6-inch, I went to back these areas I had skipped and found additional items. Also, I noticed I can metal detect a little closer to known metal objects, such as the chain link fence.

I also found 4 additional coins in the open backyard with the 6-inch that I somehow missed with the 11-inch coil. I'm still puzzling over that. I noticed a couple of the coins were near rusted nails, so I'm thinking I found the coins because the 6-inch coil can differentiate the good stuff from nearby trash better than the 11-inch.

Of course, the 11-inch does have its advantages over the 6-inch. Better depth and bigger sweep area. The 6-inch won't ever completely replace the 11-inch, but I'm finding they complement each other.

No, the 6" will never replace the 11" coil, but an 8" coil introduction sure would be interesting. An eight inch Equinox coil might just be the key to perfection.

I do love my 6" coil. We need an 8" option.

Grape vines? What varietal of grape? :) A house I used to own had grape vines...we made jelly with it...except for the first year when a local priest "stole" all of the grapes (he had an arrangement with the previous owners and didn't ask us after we bought it :) I wasn't upset though).

No, the 6" will never replace the 11" coil, but an 8" coil introduction sure would be interesting. An eight inch Equinox coil might just be the key to perfection.

Great idea....the 6" coil is too small to get the coverage I want...but it's still a great coil....I'm going to start using it more to "learn" it better

Gold

Looking to pic one up for the tight bedrock spots up country. I saw a nickel post and heck no problem with the stock coil as far as they go. Took it to a FB field that has been hit MANY times. Hit the trash end and heck 8 nickel's in less than hour. Yea could have missed em before but I would so no.

I think I came to the same conclusion. The 6" coil is small enough to be a different animal and I suspect that those trying to use it like the stock coil or in the wrong conditions will struggle with it.

When I use my 5x8 coil on the ATPro it basically works like the stock coil..only smaller and lighter. Same settings. I can evaluate separation and pinpoint a bit faster, and get into tighter spots. Easily to carry through the woods. Cool.

But, the 6" Nox coil....in comparison to the 11" stock coil.....works more like a sharpshooting coil than just a smaller version of the 11" coil. When the 6 inch coil goes on the Nox I adjust some settings and detect differently.

Back
Top Bottom