Nel coils

Has anyone used a Nel coil and if so are they ok ,good , bad , thinking of getting one for my Garrett gtax , thanks for any help .
quiz

I have a NEL 15" Thunder coil for the AT Pro. Well made and serves its purpose of excellent ground coverage with very good depth and decent separation.

The Thunder Coil is more long and narrow than it is circular like some big coils. That gives up a marginal amount of depth but helps with target separation. That's always a problem with big coils. In a fairly clean farm field or park you can cover a lot of ground and the good targets are going to stand out. However, to get at those really deep/tricky targets, you have to slow down and work the coil a bit. I've been surprised at what I was able to tease out with it. But, that job is better done with a smaller coil.

As far as sheer depth, I've tested it by switching back and forth with the stock coil on at least a dozen coins in an area I knew was loaded with deep coins and not too much trash. Coins that were giving off a soft repeating high tone with a VDI number on the NEL coil were not detected at all by the 5x8 and were only a scratchy tone with no VDI on the stock coil.

Your mileage might vary.

Last edited:
I have a couple of buddies that have NEL coils from the Storm size down to the Snake coil. Excellent quality with no problems. They got them to supplement the stock coils.

Very sturdy built coils with the thickest mounting ears of all the coils out there. Don't think I have ever heard of one of the mounts breaking. Also very good shielding on a heavy duty cable. I have a NEL Tornado coil for 4 of my machines.

I have a NEL on my etrac, can't remember off hand if it it the sharpshooter or the other small one but it's a great coil. Super thick coil ears and much less falsing when you hit the stubble compared to the stock coil.

Back
Top Bottom