A little bit of confederate lead

VA-REB

Forum Supporter
Well my neighbor invited me to go dig a little. Of course I said yes. The land is part of the Chancellorsville campaign. We went to a spot in some thick woods for a couple of hours and didn’t find much worth keeping so my neighbor and I made our way back to the truck. While waiting for one of our other friends to get back I started looking around near where we parked. I dug these 2 Gardner bullets maybe 30 yards from the truck. I was pretty happy with them cause I haven’t found that many confederate bullets. When I got home and cleaned them, I saw that they looked a little different so I got out my calipers and measured them. You can see that one is a bit smaller. It is a 54 caliber gardner. The only 54 cal Gardner I’ve had in my hand. That’s pretty special, at least to me. The other is the usual 58 cal you see. We also went to another spot, a field of about 200 acres where our other friend dug a half a dozen Sharps and 1pistol bullet. I’m happy with my 2.

Attachments

• 53E03827-53CF-48E6-9803-CA0EC8A0970C.jpg
    53E03827-53CF-48E6-9803-CA0EC8A0970C.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 447
  • AE8D738E-347B-4088-86E5-8EDEB7B45E3B.jpg
    AE8D738E-347B-4088-86E5-8EDEB7B45E3B.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Congratulations. Like you I haven’t found many confederate bullets. Ilthose would get me excited too. Nice bullets in deed.

No matter how long you do it, it is amazing how something unusual will make a great hunt. Congratulations on the new addition to your collection. Being able to recognize you had something special adds to the excitement.:yes:

Nice historical finds you have there! :grin:

Congratulations. Like you I haven’t found many confederate bullets. Ilthose would get me excited too. Nice bullets in deed.

No matter how long you do it, it is amazing how something unusual will make a great hunt. Congratulations on the new addition to your collection. Being able to recognize you had something special adds to the excitement.:yes:

Thanks Everyone!

Nice finds! How did those ring up?

Well, this won’t mean anything to you unless you have a Deus, but with the settings I had, they should have rung in the mid to high 80’s but both rang up in the mid to high 70’s. I think maybe because they both had a whole lot of crud on them.

Well, this won’t mean anything to you unless you have a Deus, but with the settings I had, they should have rung in the mid to high 80’s but both rang up in the mid to high 70’s. I think maybe because they both had a whole lot of crud on them.
I can usually find a VDI chart somewhere, generalize the range of metals something rings in at and then convert the numbers to my machine. Not exact by any stretch of the imagination, but it give me a ballpark [emoji846]. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom