Possible to adjust volume on any Tesoro?

jamboree

As anyone who owns a Tesoro knows, there is no way to adjust the volume coming out of the detector's built-in speaker. (The only way to "adjust the volume" on a Tesoro is to plug in third-party headphones that themselves have an external volume knob.) But what I'd like to do is adjust the volume on the sound coming out of the Tesoro's built-in speaker.

Assuming that I'm brave/foolish enough to take it apart and fiddle around with the electronics inside, is there any way at all to adjust the default volume of the speaker on any Tesoro model? Or is it simply impossible to adjust it, no matter what one might do?

In my case, I want to permanently adjust the volume downward so that it is always less loud. I often detect in areas where being quiet would be best, but I dislike having to wear big clunky headphones, because I have to take them on and off a zillion times a day each and every time I get a signal and have to put the detector down to dig. But the default volume level on the built-in speaker is far louder than I need it to be -- I'd prefer if the volume was half as loud as it currently is.

The jerry-rigged "solution" that I've done for years is to put layers of duct tape over the speaker vents on the front of the detector, but even with four layers of thick tape muting the sound, it's still far too loud for me.

I currently have a Vaquero and a Silver uMax, but could easily buy any other model if it was possible on a different model from the ones I own.

I assume that it isn't possible to change the volume on any Tesoro, since I've never seen anyone ever mention doing so -- but I thought I'd ask just to make sure.

Thanks!

It could be done, have to open her up, and splice in a volume control, off say an in-line one. Could leave it hanging out of the control box somewhere. I just use a single earbud on my Compadres, with an in-line volume control cable. On my waterproofed Compadre I put the volume control inside the waterproof box, it again, tapped into the headphone line. You’d want to tap into the speaker line.

Is there a circuit design blueprint available online for either the Vaquero or Silver uMax so I'd know which wire to splice? Also, how would I know which exact "part" to buy and use for the volume control? Once I splice in the controller, I could simply set it once to my desired volume level, and then just re-seal it permanently back inside the case. I wouldn't need to have it dangling outside the case for constant volume adjustment up and down.

Is there a circuit design blueprint available online for either the Vaquero or Silver uMax so I'd know which wire to splice? Also, how would I know which exact "part" to buy and use for the volume control? Once I splice in the controller, I could simply set it once to my desired volume level, and then just re-seal it permanently back inside the case. I wouldn't need to have it dangling outside the case for constant volume adjustment up and down.

Yes, circuit needs a cut and splice in a volume pot.
From schematics and other tech details check here:
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/search.php?searchid=592796

I just built a TSGL that doesn't have volume control but I did not install a speaker.

My solution is to plug in a Blue Tooth TX into the head phone jack then wear BT head phones. This way there is no wire to snag brush or need disconnecting.
The BT TX and head phones are 'Trond' from Amazon and are AptX Low Latency.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B4W40V...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Just desolder the red wire from the speaker.
Solder that wire to the in lead on the pot. Then solder another red wire from the out lead from the pot and solder the other end to the speaker. The ground wire can be grounded to the foil on the back of the faceplate. You should see another pot grounded with a wire attached to a washer. You can ground to that wire.

The volume pot should be an audio pot but you can use a linear pot.
As for pot value, a 1k, 5K or 10K might be sufficient.

Attachments

• volum pot.gif
    volum pot.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 438
Back
Top Bottom