Drop forged hatchet i found

pplinker

Forum Supporter
I found this hatchet a couple or three years ago. Probably very cheap from Western Auto or something. I thought several times of putting a handle on it..no good reason just to fix up a found item.

Probably stupid, I spent 3 hours making a handle for a probably worthless old hatchet. Used some kind of hardwood scrap, maybe beech or maple. It really is hard. Then routed it, then put JB weld all over the metal and the wood. Then I used an Arbortech grinding sander and rounded it off. It really doesn't look that great and I don't need to chop anything, but it is a metal detecting save and I feel better about things like that.

Attachments

• DSC00571.JPG
    DSC00571.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC00572.JPG
    DSC00572.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 979
That looks great. I keep a similar hatchet hanging by the back door, and I'm always finding something that needs chopped or hammered. I like tools like that because you can abuse them. I would never use my good ax for anything but wood, but a found, repaired hatchet can be used for anything. $20 bucks to throw away a T.V., smash it up with a hatchet into small parts and it's free to put in the trash can. There are all kinds of problems in life that can be solved by smashing the exclamation marks out of them with a hatchet. I'm sure you will find plenty of uses for it.

Back
Top Bottom