Time capsule (long and pic heavy)

Benson10

(Note: this is my first attempt at the Tapatalk app. Hope it works!)

Headed out Saturday morning to run some errands and do some hunting before it got too hot. The day started out good with a 51 silver Rosie at a coinstar!

Finished errands and headed for a local playground which was once a regular elementary school, was closed, and since has been reopened as an ‘early childhood developmental center’.
Hunted for about 3 hours. Got $5.10 in clad, a 53d wheat, assorted zippers pulls, a Juul, some junk bling, and other assorted playground paraphernalia. I also cracked a couple Ball canning lid inserts (darn, I love those things, when not broken) and added to my Hot Wheels collection.
9849cbb668fd5f2faaf9514fe13020f3.jpg

The most interesting find came about halfway through the hunt. Got a screaming, jumpy , upper 20s on the 540. Dug it. Out comes this partially dented up coffee can. Hmmm! The black plastic cover is still on the can. I took the cover off and inside there looked to be a bunch of folded up pieces of paper. Looked interesting, but did not want to remove them from the can while out in the field..dirty hands, sweat, and all. Put the cover back on and set it aside.
I rescanned the hole and got the same signal! A little more digging and out comes another coffee can, a bit more dented! This one has a clear cover but it’s somewhat stuffed into the can itself. Looks to be more paper inside.
e76bd84af72d5a9ee98cf72d34ba24e6.jpg

ce0306c1c9c748813c4987f776d0c9b9.jpg

I set them both aside and finished my hunt.
When I got home, I called my wife out to the garage. I showed her what I found. We slowly and carefully “unbent” the cans enough so that we wouldn’t tear the papers during extraction.
One by one we took the folded pieces of paper out and looked at each one. Pretty cool!
From the first can:
06dec558c950fc274d019250686a0fd6.jpg

8e75e971fe15126ebab08437d8f2f0ba.jpg

Michigan’s Adventure is a local amusement park.

From the second can:
925065978d89892d5a9a074ab498d1b5.jpg

afda9962aaf889b64b03b10ed31ea540.jpg

3ee3752576c563932220582fdf8eff68.jpg

6f81319f8f5a3d7650da9f440aad4ef8.jpg

01ed7c93caac3c81dbc01e9357a0076c.jpg

I covered the names of the kids in some of the pics.

Not sure what I should do with these. I don’t think I should try to locate any of the students, as they are likely only 17 or 18 years old. Maybe try to locate the teacher?? See if she wants these??
As mentioned before, this elementary school was closed a year or so after these kids buried these items and it has since reopened as a different type of school. However, it still belongs to the same system as it did previously. I could go down to the administrative building for this system and inquire as to who was the 1st or 2nd grade teacher at that time, what was going on on August 12, 2009...not a typical time for school to be in session. Any other ideas on what to do with these, if anything?
HH

It would really be a hoot if you were able to locate them and give them their "treasure" back.

Does it have first and last name and grade? I'm sure they would be really interested in knowing you found them. They probably haven't thought of them for years. They may be young enough to still be living in the area and contact the parents. Keep us posted. Interesting find!

Each page was drawn by a different child. Several had names on them, some first and last some first name and last initial, some with no names. A few have the date...August 12, 2009. One says he is 6 years old (so I’m guessing they are 1st or 2nd graders)
Putting all these clues together, I am thinking it was a class project of some sort. They all colored a pic, stuffed them into two cans and buried them in centerfield of the baseball diamond.
I am just wondering about the date..August 12. Usually school is not in session around here in early August.
I will begin by calling the district and see if I can get info on who was teaching that aged kids at that time. Maybe contact the teacher. Maybe then he/she can try contact the kids. Not sure if I want to do a search for people who may still be minors. May not be a good thing in this day and age.
Will report my progress.
Either way, kinda neat to stumble on a ‘time capsule’ of sorts.
Tom

Definitely let the kids know.....mine did a while ago and they have always been curious of what happened to their capsule.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Each page was drawn by a different child. Several had names on them, some first and last some first name and last initial, some with no names. A few have the date...August 12, 2009. One says he is 6 years old (so I’m guessing they are 1st or 2nd graders)
Putting all these clues together, I am thinking it was a class project of some sort. They all colored a pic, stuffed them into two cans and buried them in centerfield of the baseball diamond.
I am just wondering about the date..August 12. Usually school is not in session around here in early August.
I will begin by calling the district and see if I can get info on who was teaching that aged kids at that time. Maybe contact the teacher. Maybe then he/she can try contact the kids. Not sure if I want to do a search for people who may still be minors. May not be a good thing in this day and age.
Will report my progress.
Either way, kinda neat to stumble on a ‘time capsule’ of sorts.
Tom

It could of been Summer School.. I think I would try and locate the teacher..

I'd call the local school administration building and let them know. They should have all of the central records including contact information for all of the students and their parents. That is a really cool find, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures!

Back
Top Bottom