Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 07-06-2020, 11:46 AM

Default One-room schoolhouse

I got permission last week for a one-room school built in 1890 and shuttered in 1965. It is still standing, albeit now in a cow pasture. I had time on Friday, so I went early to beat the heat. Fortunately for me, the area around the school is fairly shady, so I didn't have to broil too much.

The first hour of the hunt was grueling. One memorial penny and a lot of ring pulls but not a single modern pull tab. Gravel about 2 inches beneath the soil at the front of the school added to the difficulty. I eventually moved around the sides and the back and started getting some better targets. Lead, a non-precious Catholic pendant, and a few 1920s wheats.

About a foot from a 1924 wheat I got a 6770 signal only about 3 inches deep. Turned out to be a crusty Indian and that made my hunt since I haven't dug one in months. When I got home, I saw that it was an 1864! I have quite a few Indians c. 18801907, but none older. This is actually my second-oldest dug coin, the oldest being an 1835 half dime. It's in pretty bad shape and it was very worn before it was lost. I want to clean it up better, but slow toothpicking with a dab of water has yielded some results.

Thanks for looking!

Delicious trash 52 pull tabs!

The school

The good finds: early wheats, 1864 Indian, Catholic pendant, and worked points, including an arrowhead base.

Crusty obverse

Beginning to clean the reverse

Improved reverse

Compared with a non-dug coin

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:32 PM
Elite Member

I like the on-site pix of the abandoned shuttered school house !

Old 07-06-2020, 01:14 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Jodo_Kast501 View post
I got permission last week for a one-room school built in 1890 and shuttered in 1965. It is still standing, albeit now in a cow pasture. I had time on Friday, so I went early to beat the heat. Fortunately for me, the area around the school is fairly shady, so I didn't have to broil too much........
Way to grind out some good finds! That trash has some age to it, so there's a good chance of more good finds mixed up with it. The only thing good about all of that trash is that it'll likely scared off the casual detectorists over the years. Even a stubborn individual wouldn't be able to find everything with that much trash left.

Oh, I hate hidden gravel. At this point I just assume there's a gravel layer somewhere if there is no paved parking and the structure was still in use well into the 1900s.

If it's OK with the owner, you should return with a string trimmer and clear out a section at a time!

Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 PM

Yeah, I was surprised by the amount of trash, but it also led me to believe that it hasn't been detected seriously if at all. I think some persistence in the gravel around the front of the school might yield some silver and there's definitely potential for more IHPs too.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Supporter

Default one room school house

Originally Posted by Jodo_Kast501 View post
I got permission last week for a one-room school built in 1890 and shuttered in 1965. It is still standing, albeit now in a cow pasture. I had time on Friday, so I went early to beat the heat. Fortunately for me, the area around the school is fairly shady, so I didn't have to broil too much.

The first hour of the hunt was grueling. One memorial penny and a lot of ring pulls but not a single modern pull tab. Gravel about 2 inches beneath the soil at the front of the school added to the difficulty. I eventually moved around the sides and the back and started getting some better targets. Lead, a non-precious Catholic pendant, and a few 1920s wheats.

About a foot from a 1924 wheat I got a 6770 signal only about 3 inches deep. Turned out to be a crusty Indian and that made my hunt since I haven't dug one in months. When I got home, I saw that it was an 1864! I have quite a few Indians c. 18801907, but none older. This is actually my second-oldest dug coin, the oldest being an 1835 half dime. It's in pretty bad shape and it was very worn before it was lost. I want to clean it up better, but slow toothpicking with a dab of water has yielded some results.

Thanks for looking!

Delicious trash 52 pull tabs!

The school

The good finds: early wheats, 1864 Indian, Catholic pendant, and worked points, including an arrowhead base.

Crusty obverse

Beginning to clean the reverse

Improved reverse

Compared with a non-dug coin
Great pictures , would keep hitting it till you get the trash all cleaned out of the way. My dad started teaching in a school house like that around 1950 after the war. He and my mom lived in a small trailer on the property .

Fisher F4 , Bountyhunter Treker IV ,BH discovery 3300, Whites TRX pinpointer, finds mostly clad nothing worth posting , just retired at the end of 2017 ,so hope I can spend a lot more time detecting in the future.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:54 PM
Elite Member

I hunted one about 20 years ago let me tell it wasnt detected before it was full of old coins. I need to go back to it.

Anfibio multi /Equinox 600. Total silvers FTY 119. 34 rosies 46mercs 2 v nickels 235wheat cent. 1 silver charm 4 barber dimes 15 Washingtons . 1 barber quarter. 1 half dime 1 chuck of a Washington. 2 walkers 2 SLQ 1 silver pin. 1 morgan dollar 1 seated dime. 1 barber half. 6 war nickels.1 silver ring.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Elite Member

I would also like to add pund them woods around it too kids like playing in the woods those trees might of not been there back in the day.

Anfibio multi /Equinox 600. Total silvers FTY 119. 34 rosies 46mercs 2 v nickels 235wheat cent. 1 silver charm 4 barber dimes 15 Washingtons . 1 barber quarter. 1 half dime 1 chuck of a Washington. 2 walkers 2 SLQ 1 silver pin. 1 morgan dollar 1 seated dime. 1 barber half. 6 war nickels.1 silver ring.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:46 AM
Elite Member

Great finds, I am sure time spent there will pay off even more in the future!