anyone know about being a union welder?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
My son-in-law is an experienced welder. How hard is it to get into a welder's union and what are the benefits like healthcare or pension?

I would assume a person would have to pass a test.

We need to help motivate him to get a steady job with benefits so he can support our two grandsons. He is now doing handyman work with no benefits and his wife has her own business service with no benefits.

Of course I doubt if this will do any good since they both never seem to listen to any of our advice.

I didn't think it was as simple as passing a test in the trades. I thought there was being an apprentice, to journeyman, to master, with multiple tests.

Being a programmer, which any yutz seems to be able to get a job in, I'm only going by what I've heard.

-- Tom

I was in the steelworkers union for one year..I cannot speak for everyone but it wasn’t for me.I had to travel over a hour each way and by the time I figured out my time,gas,dues,medical insurance I could make more baling hay.lol
We had a time clock and if you were late punching in you were deducted 15 minutes off your pay for every minute you were late punching in..4 min late and you lose a hour pay.
And the health insurance had to be bought through the union..they had a A plan and a B plan..I could get twice the coverage at half the price outside of the unions best plan,,but we weren’t allowed to buy outside of the union.
My last day there I was reprimanded for having a shovel leaning against a wall,called it a unsecured tool..I handed in my resignation and left.

I think it depends on what he wants to do as a welder. I work in a refinery as a gasoline blender, and the welders there make very good money - especially during turnarounds. The downside is the welders are contractors and it isn't steady work. They have to travel to job sites that are in need of their services. The testing to acquire the certifications for hazardous material pipe welding is very daunting. My son is a welder, and he works in a shop that maintains city equipment (snow plows, garbage trucks, etc.). It pays a lot less but he works in the same place all the time and has benefits. And by the way, neither of my kids listen to m advice either.

Back
Top Bottom