One-room schoolhouse, part II: big silver!

Jodo_Kast501

I went back to my schoolhouse permission yesterday since it was a little less hot than it has been. Was supposed to rain, but didn't. I expanded my search area considerably around the school, especially focusing on where a grove of trees appeared behind the school in old aerial photos.

I came up with five wheats in total, a 1921 buffalo nickel, and ... a 1945 Walking Liberty half dollar! You can see the live retrieval here.

I've dug about 60 silver coins in not quite four years and have never found a silver half before (I have dug two clad halves). It's a common date and it has some staining on the obverse, but it's big silver and now I can't wait to dig more.

lCggVJkl.jpg

gNXz5Xql.jpg

htpHDkEl.jpg

I went back to my schoolhouse permission yesterday since it was a little less hot than it has been. Was supposed to rain, but didn't. I expanded my search area considerably around the school, especially focusing on where a grove of trees appeared behind the school in old aerial photos......

Nice! She's looking good, stain and all. I've dug silver halves, but not a Walker.

Cool! Great photos, looks like that half may have been partially masked by iron?

You would think so by looking at the coin, but it was a clear as day 90–91 on the AT Pro. No iron noise and I always keep iron audio on. That said, the soil here is high in iron. There used to be quite a bit of pig iron production in the region.

Back
Top Bottom