Last minute beach vacation ideas?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
The wife asked if I could take next week off to go on vacation (still up in the air), but we want an Atlantic beach within about 16 hours drive of Chicago...We went the Wrightsville NC last year and had fun (although the restaurants left a lot to be desired).

We want something ON the ocean (so we can just walk out and be on the beach).

Any suggestions? Hotels seem to be higher than last year, which is somewhat surprising, although perhaps it's because of the sanitation requirements offsetting the lack of people.

She wants a balcony too...we were at Shell Island Resort last year, but that's gone up about 100 a night.

.... Any suggestions? .....

Well yes, I'm glad you asked . Send me 30% of all your md'ing finds (I accept paypal). I'm sure your wife will understand.

And go ahead and splurge for the highest price penthouse hotel suite !! Any other questions ? :?:

Thank goodness the family wants the Atlantic Coast. 🏴!☠️

We considered California, but we don't want to fly (wife is leery about flying) so we have to drive it.

I don't blame her. I don't like to fly either. True story: I was on an inter island puddle jumper. The stewardess pouring champagne. Good flight. 6 MONTHS later the EXACT plane , flight had a structural failure where the top of the plane peeled back. The same stewardess got sucked out along with I think another passenger , never to be found at sea. The plane made it back to the airport. It was all over the news. Sad...

I don't blame her. I don't like to fly either. True story: I was on an inter island puddle jumper. The stewardess pouring champagne. Good flight. 6 MONTHS later the EXACT plane , flight had a structural failure where the top of the plane peeled back. The same stewardess got sucked out along with I think another passenger , never to be found at sea. The plane made it back to the airport. It was all over the news. Sad...

Damn...that sucks...

My wife doesn't mind flying TOO much generally (but she doesn't enjoy it)...it's the Covid thing that has her more worried.

Well, we just booked for Wrightsville Beach (where we were last year). I had good luck hunting last year...7 rings....so here's hoping for even more..

Well, we just booked for Wrightsville Beach (where we were last year). I had good luck hunting last year...7 rings....so here's hoping for even more..

Have a great getaway with the fam. Hope you find some gold ! And take a few pics of what it's like there.

Have a look at Wells, Maine.
By far not so much for shells but a BIG Beach. Everything else: BEST EATS, shop personnel, accommodations, helpful locals, are the best that I have experienced to in my 74 years of traveling. Our room was about $45/night but that was the last week of the season (November).
Scones, squares and woopie pies and coffee were basic foods. The local coffee roaster even made a special Holiday Coffee (no special upcharge either) for me as I drank one of the local favorite coffees. If the chocolate woopie pie is not enough there was one 5 times the size with vanilla cream. But even I could not eat one by myself. All other meals were equally impressive. Free Mimosa and cookies to go at one breakfast house. Never a request went unanswered to OUR satisfaction. I am planning a return trip, something I usually do not do, return to a vacation location.
More pricey but I live here...Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Better shells but the detecting is really bad right not so much sand, so few beach goers. But than I guess it will be the same at most places. The Cape is a much more tourist type environment but nicer temperatures or I would move to Wells.
Because of the Covid19 I see many great deals to fill the cancellations that were made a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• Scones.jpg
    Scones.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 171
  • squares.jpg
    squares.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Woopie.jpg
    Woopie.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 162
Head north my good man! Isle Royale, MI. Escape the hustle n' bustle and just go relax in nature! Find ya' some "float copper."

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 151
Head north my good man! Isle Royale, MI. Escape the hustle n' bustle and just go relax in nature! Find ya' some "float copper."

I'm definitely getting to Michigan again sometime soon...I tried detecting the beach by where my sister and brother in law have a home , but found nothing...at all...not even pull tabs LOL But I KNOW there's gold in the lake somewhere.

We booked Wrightsville Beach for next week, so I'm hopeful there's some gold that finds its way under my coil (and hopefully my son will join me and find something really cool, to get him into the hobby)

Isle Royal National Park is the neatest place I have ever been. It's been 40 years, I hiked the 50 miles one end to the other, it wasn't easy then, wouldn't even try now. I never seen any wolves but listening to them at night was awesome. I had never seen a moose, I thought they were just big deer. Many times I had to step off the trail to let them pass.

Not so sure it is a good time to travel? Stay home keep your family safe. Time to trick a few things out on the detector and wait for different times!

Not so sure it is a good time to travel? Stay home keep your family safe. Time to trick a few things out on the detector and wait for different times!

LOL. :laughing:
It's very possible to travel and stay safe. I will do what I can to protect myself and others, but I will not live in fear of a little virus.

Notth Myrtle Beach, Cherry Grove beach (same general area) Virginia Beach Va, Ocean City Maryland, Outer Banks North Carolina (if you go there, research, stay off the National Seashore with your detector) good luck. I see the same thing with hotel prices. I figured they would be cheap trying to lure people in, but Ive concluded that everyone was tired of being cooped up for months and flocked to them so demand is high, therefore the prices are too!

Back
Top Bottom