Back to Detecting

scott312

Forum Supporter
Hello everyone from Scott Kelly. I have not detected very much for years. Got away from the big city. A lot of open land around me now. I was planing on ordering more equipment for the wood shop : ) Christmas is coming up but I got sidetracked. I saw the cxt3030 and watched a bunch of youtube. I said to myself, self, you have been using medium to low level Metal detectors for over 40 years. I have bought nothing but Garrett metal detectors. If it's not broke don't fix it. Then I see the CTX. I was tired of the same Company. Nothing against Garrett. But it's time to move. I showed my son and he got excited that I was wanting one. Then out of the blue he said, daddy was tired of Garrett. It sounds like I'm bashing Garrett, but no, not at all. They have been great to me. Years of good memories. My wife and I have been Blessed and we can afford a little more now. It's been a wild ride ordering the CXT3030. I tried to order two for me and my son, "boy is he going to be happy" from Kellyco but the shopping cart was giving me problems. I have used Kellco for 40 years. Good people. So I give up and ordered from Amazon. Then I get cold feet, I'm always having problems with Amazon. I cancel my order and they still ship one. Dang them lol. Went back to Kellyco and ordered two : ) Now I have 3 CTX3030 on their way. I thought it was going to be 4 one the way at first, Sheesh... Was not happy with Amazon. I had canceled days before they were shipped, They shipped one. Then I get real confused. UPS shows up with the shipment and another box with a metal detector. I start thinking the ******** have sent 2. Well the UPS man had a new computer and I was the 2nd delivery and could tell if the other box was from Amazon. So instead of being able to send back the CXT on the spot I received both. After I was able to tell one box was from Kellyco I'm feeling better. Then my ship back quest starts. I had opened the Amazon box and the CXT box had been smashed. The other shipping box was fine. Well I get that baby re boxed and labeled off I go to 2 UPS substations that refused to take, they said box is too big. I made it to a UPS store and all went well. What a mess that was. Kelloco's other shipment will be here today. I would have ordered my other son one but he sold the last one I get him never opened on Ebay. That hurt my feelings. : ) Ok next time I will try not to type so much. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Scott.

Congratulations on getting back into detecting. I've recently done the same after a long absence from the hobby.

I don't want to be a downer, but when you were checking out metal detectors, did you also consider weight and recovery speed? Reason being, the CTX is heavy, and has a much slower recovery rate compared to detectors such as the Nox, D2, or Legend.

I don't know if the heavy weight of the CTX will be a factor for you or your son, but consider that in that trashy sites, a slow recovery speed is going to miss a lot of coins.

Hi Scott.
I don't want to be a downer, but when you were checking out metal detectors, did you also consider weight and recovery speed

Hello there and yes I am well aware of all those factors. The way I hunt. The CTX is perfect for me. Thank you for pointing out things to consider.

You're welcome. It looks like you did your homework :)

If it wasn't for the weight and slow recovery speed, a BBS or FBS detector would be my detector of choice.

Congrats on the changes, all of them. It's always good to get out of the city. You're gonna love that 3030 I'm betting. Only downside I can think of is the weight and balance. I had a buddy who had 2 and we hunted together a lot with him letting me use one of his 3030's. You get accustom to it pretty quickly (or at least I did). I always wanted a 3030 but we were working on paying off bills and my detector purchases had to be made with finds. So I just never got one. But we are in a better place now too, and a 3030 may be in my future...:excited:

Anyway, once again Congratulations!!

Congrats on the changes, all of them. It's always good to get out of the city. You're gonna love that 3030 I'm betting. Only downside I can think of is the weight and balance. I had a buddy who had 2 and we hunted together a lot with him letting me use one of his 3030's. You get accustom to it pretty quickly (or at least I did). I always wanted a 3030 but we were working on paying off bills and my detector purchases had to be made with finds. So I just never got one. But we are in a better place now too, and a 3030 may be in my future...:excited:

Anyway, once again Congratulations!!

Hey Robby, thanks for the sharing your experience with the 3030. I move a little slow. I don't get in a hurry. I had a Quad bypass and that rascal slowed me down : ). I think at most I will be digging 4 holes an hour. The 5 plus lbs is np for me as slow as I am. I never was real fast. :D You have good stuff there big guy Nox800 I spent some time pondering that one. I do think you are better off waiting for the updated 3030 if they put one out. They may shave a LB off that bad boy. I think you live in Louisiana? That has to be good hunting. All all that great food. Again, thanks for the chat

Gulf Coast Texas

Back
Top Bottom