Coin shortage?

Uncletroy

Elite Member
Hey guys. Been a while. So today I stopped at my bank near me to pick up some new 2020 rolls of pennies and nickels etc and good old halfs and ikes but the tellers at the bank said there is currently a coin shortage and they have none left. Now I'm pretty sure they are telling the truth. Typically they are happy to unload coin onto me. Anyone else having similar experiences?

Hey guys. Been a while. So today I stopped at my bank near me to pick up some new 2020 rolls of pennies and nickels etc and good old halfs and ikes but the tellers at the bank said there is currently a coin shortage and they have none left. Now I'm pretty sure they are telling the truth. Typically they are happy to unload coin onto me. Anyone else having similar experiences?
No coin shortages in my county of 160K. Nothing but $50 bills from the drive thru of my CU since April. I pay cash, I have cards but forgot/don’t use ‘em (so I lost money) yo!

No wonder there might be shortages, stymied economies, and many bank and CU lobbies are closed, including civilian coin counters...that’s where retail sources their coin...

Last edited:
I read an article that the U S Mint has cut the number of employees that can be on site at any one time. thereby cutting the amount of coins being minted. So the shortage might be real.

“Simply put, there is an adequate amount of coins in the economy, but the slowed pace of circulation has meant that sufficient quantities of coins are sometimes not readily available where needed, you may be experiencing this in your local communities.”

- US Mint officials

Back
Top Bottom