Ammo shortage

And the worst part about it is that we're doing this to ourselves. We are the folks "hoarding", and taxing the production abilities of the ammo manufacturers.
I'll concede that there are a certain percentage of "speculators" that hoard with the intent of price gouging just to make a tidy profit, but it's pretty sad when the "enemy" is ourselves.

Just sayin'.....Roger

I bought my grandson a 22mag and scope for his graduation gift but I can't find any ammo to even site it in.

<<Post edited for Politcal Comment>>

I have a decent supply, although I dont shoot a whole lot. I have plenty to defend my property and to hunt right now, but I will pick up a box here and there when I see it available.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my grandson a 22mag and scope for his graduation gift but I can't find any ammo to even site it in.

God bless you for being a good grandpa! So sad about no ammo for grandson's brand new rifle. Hope you get a break soon.

My buddy just got a new weatherby/scope and cant find 6.5 creedmoore to even sight it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While AMC Rulz is offering good precautionary advice, all lead is toxic, with the fumes being more easily ingested through the lungs, but that's also easily taken care of by ensuring more than adequate ventilation.

The real danger in melting down lead/acid battery lead is the fumes from the remnants of the acid that are still infused in the lead plates. THAT stuff is really nasty to have to deal with. One must take even extra precautions when melting and casting with it.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Recovering the lead from a car battery is a massive mess. There is a huge amount of pasty, lead oxide suspended in an acidic ooze. Its a mess washing that out of the lead grids. Not much lead in there after that.

Used batteries are best sold to scrap metal recycle center. You can then buy wheel weights from them that are far easier to deal with. Les dangerous and are the right hardness for casting bullets with exception of black powder. Just make sure you don't mix zink wheel weights in with the lead.

I have several rounds of ammo .A lot of reloading material to work with different calibers. I mostly hunt small game with my pellet rifles one shoot 1600 FPS .With the right pallets I can put a hole through a car door.Probably have a couple thousand rounds of pellets 22 caliber and 177. When Squirrel hunting today shot one about 35 yard it went straight through with the 177 pellet rifle.If you check out YouTube you can see some pretty amazing pellet guns.

Pellet guns are great but one that will match a $100 .22 and a $7 a box of ammo (when available...) will cost a fortune. As long as anti gun politicians don't pass stupid laws then the ammo manufacturers will eventually catch up.

Pellet guns are great but one that will match a $100 .22 and a $7 a box of ammo (when available...) will cost a fortune...

Hrmmm.
I came here to mention that even air rifle pellets have dried up from many stores as well. A recent search turned up a single pack of lower quality Daisy .22s (of course I was after .177) and no CO2 carts at a wally world, and a severely diminished selection at Bass Pro. Found some a bit overpriced, wrong style, but better than nothing for winter plinking.

Not sure the air rifle exists that will "match" a .22 LR, but yes, it would be expensive. But for some small game, squirrels, rabbits, the .22 LR has way more energy than required -- many an off-the-shelf air rifle has the power and accuracy needed to get the job done.

Got lucky yesterday. Local Scheel's sporting goods had a supply of both, 9mm and .40 S&W on hand. Bought the limit at 2 boxes (100 rnds) of each caliber. Also snagged a 100-rnd box of CCI Target .22 on the way through. Price was at a premium, but not really gouging. Spent $80 and change on the mess. I figured as long as I could find some more, I should get it.
Rifle calibers were near non-existant, and shotgun ammo had a thin selection, too. No telling what the near future holds as far as firearms and ammo is concerned.
I had actually went looking for some dies for my press......NONE to be found. Looks like I'm going to have to resort to mail-order, (I hope).

Roger

Back
Top Bottom