• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Ring Find

Jdjeff

This is my first ring find. I was optimistic until I got it home. It doesn't look like gold. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

What's puzzling is that I found this about 5 inches down in the (sports park) dirt. It was shiny in the dirt and cleaned up with only water. It rang up at 28 on my Equinox 800. But there are no markings on it of any kind.

If this ring was gold, what would you expect to see as a target ID on the 800?

Attachments

• 20201007_122529.jpg
    20201007_122529.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 526
looks to have been gold plated or gold filled. gold can ring up all over the place on vdi though

Good looking ring! I agree its probably plated. A gold ring typically wouldn't hit as high as 28. Maybe gold plated silver?

Good looking ring! I agree its probably plated. A gold ring typically wouldn't hit as high as 28. Maybe gold plated silver?

So is there a number for gold that would cause you to dig? I thought it was around 9 or 10 but every time I dig that it is foil or aluminum tab.

So is there a number for gold that would cause you to dig? I thought it was around 9 or 10 but every time I dig that it is foil or aluminum tab.

Most the gold I've have found was in the nickel range 11-15 on the Equinox. Some larger rings can hit in the penny range, but haven't been lucky enough to find a honker. You're right though, millions of pull tabs in that range that you have to dig in order to find gold. If I am in a trashy park, I'd go insane digging the gold range unless its a deep 12 or 13 because it has a good chance of being an old nickel that I like to dig. If I am in a clean yard, I'm definitely digging gold range because the amount of aluminum garbage is less. You just have to weigh the risk to reward. Sometimes I'm in the mood to dig trash for the chance of gold. To answer your question, there is no magical number for gold. It varies. Some signals just rub me the right way and I look them up.

Having dug tabs, foil, caps and pennies on mostly lakefront beaches and turf and found zero gold now for ten years, for me it seems a pipe dream. I’m using a Minelab and I never use VDI numbers, I use their smartfind feature so I wouldn’t know to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom