Coin roll hunting

ElkGroveNox

I guess it’s kinda simple, just never heard of this before, but how do you know the roll has not been searched through already? :?:

I guess it’s kinda simple, just never heard of this before, but how do you know the roll has not been searched through already? :?:
I started roll hunting back in the mid 1970’s, and have found thousands of silvers and old coins since. You don’t care if the roll is searched or not, and always buy ‘em all. I’ve found numerous solid silver rolls this way. I usually carried a couple grand in cash and go on road trips to numerous banks in surrounding counties. I scored the goods.

Never return your searched coins to the same bank you bought them at, it’s not good business and you may get those same coins back later.

Wait you buy them from the bank? Don’t they pull out the silver? Are you still finding in them to this day? Sorry for all the questions, this just intrigues me

Wait you buy them from the bank? Don’t they pull out the silver? Are you still finding in them to this day? Sorry for all the questions, this just intrigues me

Most bank employees weren’t even born yet when silver coins were in circulation, so they likely wouldn’t recognize one.
Add to that, they are paid to do their job, not sort thru rolls of coins looking for “maybe” a silver coin or two.
That’s where coin roll hunters fill this much needed niche :D

I found over 100 silver coins CRHing last year. I go to the bank, buy a few boxes of coins(usually dimes). Then I go home and search through them. After I've searched and pulled out any silver, I dump them in a bucket and take them to a bank that has a coin counting machine, where they give me cash for the coins. Then repeat.

I bought over $150k in coin from banks in six years, not a lot compared to some roll hunters. I quit a few years back but still find silver in my change, it’s why I use 99.9% cash on purchases, I’m a coin nerd and I find old coins every year.

Banks aren’t in business to pull silver, no need to; they make tons of $ off loans, deposits and fees, plus they are gifted money from taxpayers from time to time, like lately.:p :p

Some tellers do pull silver when/if they can, I got to know dozens of them over the years. My wife was also a vault teller :cool3:

If a teller doesn’t know about silver coins, the fastest education they get is from roll hunters, especially the hunters that always “gift” tellers when the hunter gets a good silver hit. Fastest way for your silver to dry up. :lol:

Roll hunters to this day are still finding silver.

I found over 100 silver coins CRHing last year. I go to the bank, buy a few boxes of coins(usually dimes). Then I go home and search through them. After I've searched and pulled out any silver, I dump them in a bucket and take them to a bank that has a coin counting machine, where they give me cash for the coins. Then repeat.
Based on my experience, dimes are the best coin to search for and get consistent results.

Up until this Covid-19 virus screwed up my system, KT was hunting $2500 in halves every week for years. But now that I cannot get into my dump bank to be shed of the non-silvers, the system is on idle. Hunt rolls of what you can afford. Quarters have been overhunted over the years, but dimes, if your eyes are good, or nickels looking for the war years, are good options. Like AMC rulz, being a multi-year CRHer, KT has thousands of silver half dollar coins hoarded.

What do I do with it? Hoarding during my lifetime will benefit my only son, and he understands not to sell when silver price is low. Precious metals prices are cyclical, going up and down over the years. If you buy for silver content, then buy when cheap and sell when high and wait until it goes back down, and start it all over again. The main difficulty with this is knowing when to sell on the rising curve! Some purchase silver bars, but I like coins for their fluidity, and if you get them by CRHing, then you only have face value tied up in them.

It's a numbers game, only have $1000 to buy rolls, you will find something. Have $10,000 you will find more.
Bottom line is it depends on what you are looking for, want to run pennies and resell copper? Get yourself a few Ryedale sorters and have at it. Could it be profitable? Sure. Will you go crazy? Sure!

My story with coin roll hunting was it was fun finding a silver dime now and then But every single time I took the coins back and had them run thru their counter I got shorted a few bucks. So long story short it ended up costing me money in the long run. By the time you figure driving around to banks for time gas and effort was a losing deal for me. I guess if I would have found a few solid rolls like some people have I would feel different I guess. Kudos to the guys doing well tho..👍

My story with coin roll hunting was it was fun finding a silver dime now and then But every single time I took the coins back and had them run thru their counter I got shorted a few bucks. So long story short it ended up costing me money in the long run. By the time you figure driving around to banks for time gas and effort was a losing deal for me. I guess if I would have found a few solid rolls like some people have I would feel different I guess. Kudos to the guys doing well tho..👍
Oops! So why’d you let the bank short you? Don’t let them off so easily. I had shortages but I usually knew in advance how many dimes I’d run through the counter. The coins (dimes) didn’t just disappear, but were misdirected into the penny bags and laying right on top. I was credited each time for the difference, although I had to first bring it to their attention.

Of course, roll hunting is not a get rich quick plan, nor an easy money making scheme (unless you’re KT :lol:). Most do it for the love of the hunt. Shoot, metal detecting costs me $ when I’m driving 50 or 60 miles to a new spot and I get skunked, and that happens more often than not :(. I already know there’s a chance for that. Oh well, It’s going to cost for $ for many hobbies in which one has to travel (including MD’ing). To help cut roll hunting costs, try to buy in bulk like maybe a box or two at a time, or reserve 100 rolls instead of 10, and pick up when running an errand. Same when dumping coin.

Yep true AMC all hobbies cost a guy I guess. Kinda like deer hunting a guy could buy some really nice ribeyes and then some for what that costs..:laughing:

I’ve had multiple issues with coin counting machines shorting the customers. There is an external reject tray and TWO internal trays. Once they captured 11 half dollars of mine. Often they refuse to open them and even then will try and avoid giving you what’s inside claiming you can’t prove they are yours. Google will,tell you about a number of law suits. One family was shorted $44 out of $448.
I’ve decided to paint my coins yellow before putting them in.
I’ve also contacted a local tv news investigator in the hopes he will check it out.

I’ve had multiple issues with coin counting machines shorting the customers. There is an external reject tray and TWO internal trays. Once they captured 11 half dollars of mine. Often they refuse to open them and even then will try and avoid giving you what’s inside claiming you can’t prove they are yours. Google will,tell you about a number of law suits. One family was shorted $44 out of $448.
I’ve decided to paint my coins yellow before putting them in.
I’ve also contacted a local tv news investigator in the hopes he will check it out.
It sounds like some folks have horrible relationships with their financial institutions...I wouldn’t put up with anything like that, period, and honestly have never had to. Why would you? There are dozens of banks and CU’s out there to choose from. You’re not stuck with the one you have :cool3:

Sounds like you need to learn to keep the rolls intact when opening them so you can reuse them.

Oh sorry Mr. Lost I’ll check with ya next time..🙄

No problem, I would be more than willing to help you learn to count.
We can start with 20. Thats how many half dollar coins "should" go in a full roll.

I will tell you my secret in advance, after we get to 10 on your fingers im going to have you remove your shoes and socks

GOD willing we will find 11 through 20.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201002-180047_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201002-180047_Gallery.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 668
I’d comment but I’ve been on the Friendly forum to long and wouldn’t want to get banned. Thanks for the personal attacks tho your a real gem buddy..

Back
Top Bottom