Need silver coin help

flyguy784

Elite Member
Hi guys. Last year for Christmas, I restored a vintage "treasure chest" for my new granddaughter. Her first. We set a half dozen wrapped, sentimental items in it as gifts for her to open later in life. Picture of her great great grandmother, franklin mint bird scuptue of a wren that was left to me when my mother died, that sort of thing. It's now coming up on her birthday.
I'd like to set in there for her a bag of silver coins. Maybe a few hundred dollars worth.
What should I buy and where should I buy it. They need to have a little WOW factor, for when she opens them, probably 16.
Your sage advice on the what and an honest dealer would be a great help. Thanks.

Just thought. Or should I get her a nice hefty bag of 90% circulated US coins ? Growth in value is of course anticipated.

Cool!! How large is the box? Couple hundred dollars face value will take up some space!

EDIT: Are you talking face value or melt value?

Hi guys. Last year for Christmas, I restored a vintage "treasure chest" for my new granddaughter. Her first. We set a half dozen wrapped, sentimental items in it as gifts for her to open later in life. Picture of her great great grandmother, franklin mint bird scuptue of a wren that was left to me when my mother died, that sort of thing. It's now coming up on her birthday.
I'd like to set in there for her a bag of silver coins. Maybe a few hundred dollars worth.
What should I buy and where should I buy it. They need to have a little WOW factor, for when she opens them, probably 16.
Your sage advice on the what and an honest dealer would be a great help. Thanks.

Just thought. Or should I get her a nice hefty bag of 90% circulated US coins ? Growth in value is of course anticipated.

I would include proof coins in their cases. They go up in value faster than regular coins. One idea in a set from her birth year. Silver proof sets are already expensive.

Cool!! How large is the box? Couple hundred dollars face value will take up some space!

EDIT: Are you talking face value or melt value?

It's a good size hump back chest. I painted it all up, stained the wood stringers. relined it with gingham fabric. Bet I'll never have to say gingham again in my life. So it's got some space.
I'd think melt, whichever will appreciate the most over 16 years. Our intent is to add some other coins along with, "special items".
Each item has a tag, "Open when you're 10, 16, 21, etc. I'm even going to eventually put in a couple toys from her dad. He doesn't even know I have them. Can you say Ninja Turtle, He Man. It'll be fun, especially for her. I don't have anything from my childhood and few things of past relatives. Wanna change that.

A $100 face bag of 90% coin will run you about $2,200-2,300 depending on how you source it. Local coin dealer? Online vendor?

Or, a few one oz. American Eagles...running about $35 ea. in lower quantities.

PS; silver is not a great investment imo, it’s very speculative. One month it can climb in price, the next it could lose half it’s value. It also pays no monthly dividends. I still really like your idea and think it’s great.

I appreciate the help guys. I bought a half dozen American Silver Eagles, 1 troy ounce each, .999 pure. Paid $35.95 each. I think I'll card this little velvet bag, "open on your 16th birthday". I'd have to believe they'll be worth a bit more, 16 years from now.
Besides, she'll have a nice big WOW from her pop pop.

KT's Royal Suggestion: Buy her several $50 Series EE US Savings Bonds, figure out the maturity date, and have her open that package on the birthday just after the maturity date! It will double in value and is certainly better than just giving her some money on that birthday! :gettinmoney:

I appreciate the help guys. I bought a half dozen American Silver Eagles, 1 troy ounce each, .999 pure. Paid $35.95 each. I think I'll card this little velvet bag, "open on your 16th birthday". I'd have to believe they'll be worth a bit more, 16 years from now.
Besides, she'll have a nice big WOW from her pop pop.
Nice, big chunks of pure silver, can’t go wrong!

Back
Top Bottom