RESULTS>> FMDF Gift Exchange 2013

Even if packages were "lost" and they did not have tracking they should still have a receipt with the information on it that they should easily be able to scan and e-mail. They give you a receipt anytime you pay to ship something. If I sent something that was lost and I did not have a tracking number I'd simply send them a copy of the receipt with the information on it. If anyone has neither one of these things than I'd start to question their honesty. :yes:

And then you most defaintly should not say if you violate these rules then you can never participate again because these are the FRIENDLY Metal Detecting Forums.

Very true, and the FRIENDLY people made sure their gifts would arrive safely and intact. Just my .02

So, what new rules can we apply?

I knew there was going to be problems. Such as, I noticed that several members signed up early Dec. and then wasn't even on the forum between then and the contest. I was initially tempted to eliminate them as "not active members" but Vlad wouldn't let me.

New Rules:

1. Members must be active on the forum at least 3 days prior to the contest?

2. Have a minimum post count of ______ ? OR, be a Junior Member, Senior Member, or Elite Member?

3. Gifts must be securely packaged with tracking?

I don't think #2, the Post Count, should be included. We have many long time as well as new members who just prefer to not post much.

I knew there was going to be problems. Such as, I noticed that several members signed up early Dec. and then wasn't even on the forum between then and the contest. I was initially tempted to eliminate them as "not active members" but Vlad wouldn't let me.

New Rules:

2. Have a minimum post count of ______ ? OR, be a Junior Member, Senior Member, or Elite Member?

Some guys are way generous with their gifts. No telling what they pay to ship? But a small package of stuff priority is only a few bucks with free tracking at USPS. And tape and newspaper to secure it is cheap. You can pm the other person the tracking #. If you can't afford a few bucks shipping, a gift exchange shouldn't be one of your priorities.

Carol, I agree with Ron on number2. Maybe after you and Vlad pair up the names, the people have to respond within a certain time frame to you. (Not necessarily the person they paired with as you'll have no way of knowing right away) Just a thought....Stay warm out there.:yes:

Carol, I agree with Ron on number2. Maybe after you and Vlad pair up the names, the people have to respond within a certain time frame to you. (Not necessarily the person they paired with as you'll have no way of knowing right away) Just a thought....Stay warm out there.:yes:

This is a good idea, and maybe pming the 2 of you on the date of shipping. I know its more work, but may lead to this problem decreasing.

:yes::yes:

New Rules:

i like # 1 but members must log in on the day of the drawing to know who they are exchanging gifts, if not eliminate them from the exchange.i am new to the site and joined in for the exchange this year and enjoyed it.so sad it has to come to this.it's like the honor system if you get in the exchange honor what you agreed to.

Speaking as one of those who was stiffed, i would say #3 is a great idea. Heck, it seemed like a no brainer to me to send with tracking. If you know up front your cost for shipping going in then you should be able to follow through. For me, it was i sent it, oops messed up will resend, oh forgot, will send yada yada. At lease with a tracking # you have a commitment. There should also be a deadline. It can be a generous deadline like a week or so, but a deadline none the less. Oh and i know all do not agree, but once you stiff your OUT for all future exchanges. It's just a simple courtesy and if you cant take the time, you shouldn't have the privilege.

New Rules:

I like the idea that a member needs to check into the forum no more than 3 days prior to the drawing or will be eliminated. That would get rid of the "fly by night" signups, and the "Gee, that sounds like a good idea," and then forgets they signed up.

I also think that members who are deadbeats should be eliminated, but these members generally do not sign up the next year, and there isn't an easy way to create a list of these people.

But what I don't like is the hurt feelings that is caused when a matchup doesn't come through. I think we have a couple members who have left the forum because they were so upset. :(

I have never done the exchange knowing it is a busy time for me so maybe next year. I agree with the tracking number. Also maybe if we have members who are from different countries pair them up with people in there country or closer to it because I know shipping oversea with tracking is really expensive.

I participate in another forums exchange with almost 200 people taking part. Number one requirement....the organizer who makes the matches for exchange has to be pm'd the tracking number of the shipment when shipped before "must go out by" date. That eliminates the "I sent a package but it must have got lost" thing.

Anyone violating exchange rules gets banned from ever participating again.

That wouldn't work for me this time. I had to send to Japan this time and they didn't allow for tracking. I didn't get a tracking number!

Glad to see no posts here in a few years . That just means wthe AWESOME. MODS we have on this great site have been working their butts of keeping the deadheads off the forum and participating in a wonderful holiday exchange. Thanks Mods ! But they can't get them all and if anybody gets a deadbeat send me a PM and i would more than be happy to help out . Merry Christmas

I never got a person to send a gift too
The 2022 Christmas Gift Exchange is still in the signup stage. On December 23rd, the list will be randomized, and when you click on the header page, it will show the list of pairs (and then you will see who you get). :cool3:

Back
Top Bottom